PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Drunken Masters quick question

Cigam3679
2014-04-30, 02:38 PM
I am playing a Monk/Drunken Master for the first time. I just need to know, Can i use my flurry of Blows with the improvised weapons like with my tankard or something small?

BowStreetRunner
2014-04-30, 02:59 PM
You can still only make a flurry of blows with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons.

Darrin
2014-04-30, 04:11 PM
I am playing a Monk/Drunken Master for the first time. I just need to know, Can i use my flurry of Blows with the improvised weapons like with my tankard or something small?

No. Shou Disciple 5 will fix that, though... they can flurry with any melee weapon.

(Note: By strict RAW, Drunken Masters still get a -4 penalty for using improvised weapons, although many DMs handwave this as a designer oversight.)

Cigam3679
2014-04-30, 07:23 PM
well that kinda sucks a bit, but i hit hard regardless. thanks

Cigam3679
2014-05-05, 07:34 PM
Just found Improved Improvised Weapon. wouldn't that let me do the flurry?

Grayson01
2014-05-05, 07:47 PM

Na Sorry Buddy it dosen't say anything about them becoming a Monk Special weapon in the class feature.
"Improvised Weapons (Ex): While bottles and tankards are a drunken master's preferred improvised weapons, he can use furniture, farm implements, or nearly anything else at hand to attack his foes. A drunken master's improvised weapon deals as much damage as his unarmed strike plus an extra 1d4 points. Most improvised weapons deal bludgeoning damage, although some (a broken glass bottle, for example) would deal piercing or slashing damage. When a drunken master rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless."

I think it is another oversight just like the -4.

Red Fel
2014-05-05, 07:48 PM

Does it make your Improvised Weapons into Monk Weapons? Because, as the Flurry of Blows feature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm#flurryofBlows) explicitly states:
When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham).

It doesn't matter how proficient you are, or what feats you take. Unless you have something that turns improvised weapons into "special monk weapons," or take a class that can explicitly flurry with any weapon (such as Shou Disciple), you're not flurrying with improvised weapons. Period, full stop.

Cigam3679
2014-05-06, 03:31 AM
Improved Improvised Weapons [General]
Prerequisites: None
Benefit: When wielding an improvised weapon, you may improve the damage die it inflicts by one step. Medium characters thus deal 1d8 with a one-handed improvised weapon, and 1d10 with a two-handed improvised weapon. Furthermore, in your hands, these weapons are not considered random clumsy objects, but surprising weapons of dangerous capability. Any class features, feats, or other special abilities you possess that affect weapons you wield can affect an improvised weapon you are wielding, and "Improvised Weapon" becomes a weapon type that you may choose for feats such as Weapon Focus or Improved Critical.
Normal: Normally, a medium sized character inflicts 1d6 with a one-handed improvised weapon, and 1d8 with a two handed improvised weapon, and the improvised weapon group is too generalized for focus.
Special: Monks with this feat may use a light one-handed improvised weapon as if it were a monk weapon.

that's all i need it to say then right?

Sir Chuckles
2014-05-06, 03:41 AM
Yes, but I don't know where that feat is from.

Quick google searching finds it on the dnd-wiki.
Do note that it is homebrew, ask your DM before taking it, and remember to not use the dnd-wiki as a primary source.

Red Fel
2014-05-06, 08:23 AM
Yes, but I don't know where that feat is from.

Quick google searching finds it on the dnd-wiki.
Do note that it is homebrew, ask your DM before taking it, and remember to not use the dnd-wiki as a primary source.

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but I didn't see it in the more... traditional sources.

Seconding the advice about dnd-wiki. It's notorious for having homebrew erroneously labeled as canon. Dangerous place. Avoid it and try not to rely on it.

If your DM lets you use a homebrewed feat to allow improvised weapons to qualify as Monk weapons, then yes, flurry away. But I can't find any non-homebrew content that achieves that effect.

Cigam3679
2014-05-06, 01:05 PM
oh i see. I dont normally google feats and figured it was in a book somewhere. Thank you all again :D

Grayson01
2014-05-07, 07:53 PM
I never played a Drunken Master before but from reading it there is a lot of Disfunction with it and the Monk class that you have to be to use it. I don't see it anywhere but does it even progress the Flurry of blows CLass Feature that you have to have to take it?