PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have metal dice? Updated 9/5/14: They're here!

Asmayus
2014-04-30, 03:28 PM
Update: My set of dice arrived this morning. I'm delighted with them; they're exactly what I hoped for.

To answer my own questions below: Time will tell re. fairness, but upon visual examination with a ruler I could not see any defects. There are a few faint marks left over from the molding process, but they are just that. I'm beginning to realize my question about how well made they were is a little silly, since, well, metal dice. A lot of people have warned about rolling them on wooden/glass tables and ye are absolutely right.

They are entirely worth the price of entry :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

Asmayus.

Original Post:

I'm thinking about buying some metal dice. There are a few reasons:

a) They're hard wearing.
b) They look crisp and clean, and are easy to read.
c) My friend has some sort of stone d6 and I love the heft of it.

I'm looking at a set like this (http://www.chuck-a-con.net/CrystalCastePolyDwarvenMetal16mmCopper.gif) (I'm a sucker for anything copper)

They are expensive, and I've had some bad luck with convex surfaces on dice previously, so I wanted to ask for input before I bought them. As far as I can tell, only Crystal Caste make them. How did you find them? Were they fair, well made, etc?

Cheers!

Cikomyr
2014-04-30, 03:51 PM
If I really wanna be rich and nerdy one day, I am so buying myself some titanium dices...

But I'll stick to my set of lucky dice. Won them in a raffle, so they are sort of self-fulfilling lucky, no? :smalltongue:

Atanvarno
2014-04-30, 04:03 PM
I've got an extra large steel d20 that looks a lot like the one in your picture, it is quite fun to pull out for dramatic rolls.

I also use it as a life counter for magic, it is quite resistant to being bumped.

The only thing you really need to be careful about is the surface on which you roll a metal die, it is not hard to put a dent in a table or scuff a playmat with mine. Conversely, they are relatively indestructible.

Oh, and as an added bonus: You can call them your Hit Dice. :smallcool:

Averis Vol
2014-04-30, 04:27 PM
My friend has a set of hematite dice that are about a third the size of normal dice, but are easily heavier. I gotta admit, they're pretty cool, they even have a little bag about as big around as a soda can top with a lanyard you can wear around your neck. now, from past experience I can say that these things are going to beat whatever you're rolling on, they even chipped out my garage floor from a two and a half foot drop. So as long as you understand that these things can damage your gaming surface and are okay with this, go for it dude, they're an awesome collector piece (I still want the ivory set......one of these days)

Seerow
2014-04-30, 04:36 PM
I got a set off amazon a few weeks back. this set specifically (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2F1QNA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item), but it seems they're out of stock now. I like the look of them, and they have a solid heft (easily twice as heavy as other sets I own). My set had sharper/crisper edges compared to the more curved edges of the set you're looking at.

The only thing you really need to be careful about is the surface on which you roll a metal die, it is not hard to put a dent in a table or scuff a playmat with mine. Conversely, they are relatively indestructible.

Very much this. I'm afraid to roll on a wooden table. Luckily the tables we typically play on are either cheaper or sturdier, depending on location, so I doubt it will come up anyway.

Asmayus
2014-04-30, 05:15 PM
I got a set off amazon a few weeks back. this set specifically (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2F1QNA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item), but it seems they're out of stock now. I like the look of them, and they have a solid heft (easily twice as heavy as other sets I own). My set had sharper/crisper edges compared to the more curved edges of the set you're looking at.

Very much this. I'm afraid to roll on a wooden table. Luckily the tables we typically play on are either cheaper or sturdier, depending on location, so I doubt it will come up anyway.

Awesome. I hadn't noticed, but the set I linked are rounded - the set I've now bought are the same as yours but with a copper finish.

I'm glad to hear the only complaint is the denting of tables. I typically roll on a refill pad so that won't be an issue. I'll have to be careful to not drop them on the floor as well, by the sound of it!

Cheers all!

-Asmayus

Edit:

Oh, and as an added bonus: You can call them your Hit Dice. :smallcool:

I won't lie, I laughed :smallbiggrin:

Yawgmoth
2014-04-30, 05:18 PM
I have a bunch of the dwarven metal/stone dice sets from CC and they are fantastic. A little small if you're used to regular plastic dice, but still very readable. Their luster will wear off after a few years of regular use, but they still look nice. Also, don't worry about denting any tables; the only way that would happen with them is if you slam your dice on the table or if it's an exceptionally soft wood.

Incanur
2014-04-30, 05:26 PM
I used to have a few large metal d20s by Crystal Caste. I miss them. :smallfrown: I'm not usually one for fancy things, but I'm a sucker for metal dice. I'd recommend them. I might have to replace the ones I lost someday. (I'm not completely sure where they went, but I suspect an uninvited guest took them without intending to. Funny story!)

Madeiner
2014-04-30, 05:34 PM
Me and a friend bought those metal dice that you linked.
We didn't buy the copper ones, rather the steel-grey ones, but i believe the material is the same, only the color is different.
He bought the standard size while i bought the mini size as i liked them more.
After ~4 years of constant use, my dice are wearing out now; i suppose its the sweat that is slowly corroding them.
Those of my friend are fine instead, look like new. Still perfectly readable, good feeling in the hand, look real nice.
Be advised, the large dice must be handled with care, you dont want to slam them on a glass table, they are quite heavy.

I still think they are very nice to look at, and we payed like 20$ for them if im not wrong, so i guess its fine

Jjeinn-tae
2014-04-30, 06:07 PM
I have some nice 3D printed bronze dice with little gear motifs. There's some imperfections, but I quite like them.

Very heavy as far as dice go.

TheThan
2014-04-30, 07:05 PM
I have a set of 4 D6s I use for Iron kingdoms and warmachine/hordes play.
I think they're called Iron Dice. I'm doing Google search for them. I'll post them up when I find 'em. If anything I'll take some picks and post 'em up.

Anyway they're wonderful, heavy in hand, they tend to tumble well and are naturally tough as well, metal. however they were expensive. i dropped ten each on them, so about 40 bucks.

Edit:
Yeah, they’re Iron dice (http://www.irondie.com/Default.aspx). Apparently they go to some sort of dice game. I must have forgotten about that, *shrugs* I just use ‘em for minis.
I also snapped a pick of the dice I have:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/Irondice_zpsfcf23573.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/Irondice_zpsfcf23573.jpg.html)

Had to brighten up the image a bit…. Oh haha. Looks like a Bushwhacker sneaked his way into the frame. (The camo paintjob looks much better in real life btw).

holywhippet
2014-04-30, 08:15 PM
Technically they aren't dice, but I just ordered a fudge/fate ring from here: http://www.critsuccess.com/index.php/

Coidzor
2014-04-30, 08:24 PM

Hmm, I wonder how they would play with dice towers. :smallconfused:

Worst comes to worst I suppose some form of disposable cardboard may help with protecting surfaces, but then you might as well roll into a shoebox and might mess with the probabilities of the metal dice differently than other materials.

LibraryOgre
2014-04-30, 11:33 PM
My ex has a set of metal dice. They also tend to damage surfaces when rolled hard.

Hyena
2014-05-01, 12:49 AM
An arguement against metal dice
In life of every gamer there was a moment, when he stepped on d4. Now imagine if it was made of metal.

Gamgee
2014-05-01, 01:26 AM
I had a set of steel dice that are smaller than normal dice. I don't like how metal dice roll at all, the bigger the more exacerbated the effect. I don't like them at all. I very much prefer my gamescience dice.

Alleran
2014-05-01, 01:37 AM
In life of every gamer there was a moment, when he stepped on d4. Now imagine if it was made of metal.
I came into this thread to post this.

Altair_the_Vexed
2014-05-01, 03:12 AM
I have a lovely set of little metal dice - the faces of the d6 are about 1cm - and while I like it, I rarely use it. The size makes them easy to lose, and a little hard to read at distance.

However, they're small enough to take everywhere - so I always have my dice. That creates its own issue, though: metal detectors, and explaining them to security.

TuggyNE
2014-05-01, 03:38 AM
However, they're small enough to take everywhere - so I always have my dice. That creates its own issue, though: metal detectors, and explaining them to security.

"I'm addicted to gaming."

"Take him away, boys!"

Asmayus
2014-05-01, 04:47 AM

I actually thought of this and had a hunt for a metal version of crystal caste's crystal d4, here (http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mauVf9BOO3vdgTvzBLBNuLw.jpg). Unfortunately, there were none to be found. I'll just be super careful with it I guess.

Yeah that must be awkward. Especially the d4. Fortunately, I'm not planning to do much traveling with them. I think I'd be inclined to take my cheap dice with me in any event, since I wouldn't be upset if I lost them.

Jay R
2014-05-01, 11:00 AM
Don't use metal dice on a good quality wooden table. They can leave little dents.

Exediron
2014-05-01, 11:23 PM
I used to use metal dice before I moved on to synthetic opal - I actually have a set of Dwarven Metal dice (there are three total in my family, I personally use the steel ones). Unlike the stone dice from Crystal Caste, the metal ones are quite reliable and I've found them to roll very consistently. Two things you need to keep in mind:

They're loud: if you or someone you play with has sensitive hearing, metal dice on a wooden surface may very well bother that person. It does for me and my sister sometimes.
They make dents: not just on the table; if you roll on your character sheet, you'll notice hundreds of tiny little dimples on the paper after a while. This is caused by the metal dice.

Other than that, they're very satisfying and they look good. I don't feel comfortable rolling plastic dice anymore, actually - I'm too used to the weight of stone or metal. And they don't really hurt any more than a plastic die if you step on them, from my experience :smallwink:

EDIT: Changed a word that unintentionally altered my meaning considerably.

Anlashok
2014-05-01, 11:38 PM
Obviously you should skip the copper and go straight for meteorite or mammoth ivory.

Gamgee
2014-05-02, 12:07 AM
Obviously you should skip the copper and go straight for meteorite or mammoth ivory.

How about carbon fiber? Hahahaha. If I had the money.

Nutella Knight
2014-05-02, 12:07 PM
There is this project at kickstarter, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/139197951/dragon-bones-metal-designer-gaming-dice, already has reached the desired funding also. Elven and dwarven seem particularly nice.

RedWarlock
2014-05-02, 12:15 PM
There was a kickstarter for metal dice last year.. I got a d20 and a set of Fudge dice out of it. (wish I'd had spare cash, I'd have gone for a full set of 7 AND the fudge dice..) The d20 is one of my favorites to roll.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1006691271/foam-brain-dice-metals

Edit: And apparently they DO have a store:

https://squareup.com/market/foam-brain-games

$30 or $40 for a full set of dice, apparently. They've also got single d20s and fudge dice, but they're listed as not available on the online store, only at their physical one..

OverdrivePrime
2014-05-02, 12:48 PM
A friend of mine just got these sweet 3d printed thorn dice (http://www.shapeways.com/model/126266/thorn-dice-set-with-decader.html) as part of an engagement present from his fiancée. They are totally boss.

If your primary play surface is glass, metal or any kind of ceramic, I'd recommend against metal dice. If you play on wood, or a felt-covered surface, go for it. Plastic is kind of a toss-up, depending on hardness.

Exediron
2014-05-02, 02:38 PM
While we're on the subject of metal dice Kickstarters...

Artisan Dice (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/charliebrumfield/artisan-dice-does-handcrafted-polyhedrals) did one recently, with some pretty mean metallic dice on offer. I didn't have the disposable funds on hand to support it at a level I would have liked to, so now I'm one of the people waiting for the Dragon Dice to become normally available through their website.

Averis Vol
2014-05-02, 03:36 PM
How about carbon fiber? Hahahaha. If I had the money.

You know, I make knives and such, and one of the materials I use for handles is called micarta, which is just a fancy word for cloth and fiberglass. I might actually give that a try next time I have some spare pieces.

RedMage125
2014-05-02, 04:54 PM

This.

A buddy of mine has some metal dice, and he loves how well they roll. But when we play D&D at my house I have to ban them because the coffee table we play on is glass.

TriForce
2014-05-04, 04:31 PM
a friend of mine has some custom made aluminium d6-es, they are slightly rounded, and because of their lesser weight, dont risk making dents as much as other metal dice. i must say they do roll a bit less then normal dice tough

ddude987
2014-05-05, 09:43 AM
My friend got some really nice stainless steel dice off ebay a few years ago. One of the local gaming shops near me used to sell an assortment of metal dice sets, from copper to brass to steel to aluminium. They stopped selling them before I could get them though. Anybody know of a good stainless steel dice set that is in stock? Seems like the links posted so far are either not the classic 7-die set or are out of stock.

DigoDragon
2014-05-05, 02:43 PM
A friend of mine just got these sweet 3d printed thorn dice (http://www.shapeways.com/model/126266/thorn-dice-set-with-decader.html) as part of an engagement present from his fiancée. They are totally boss.

Very pretty, but it looks like the d4s could be strung together to make spike strips. ...well that would deter drag racing in my neighborhood. :smalltongue:

I used to know one player with metal dice. He rolled them in a pie tin so as not to scratch the table, but it was really loud.

Reiver Party
2014-05-05, 02:56 PM
I know what you mean DigoDragon, I've got a large 3cm-high metal D20 knocking about that can cause some serious damage to a table.

Put it in a long sock and you've got a deadly weapon.

Gamgee
2014-05-13, 12:28 AM
I don't want to start a new topic for something so minor. I ordered a set of Eastern Aromatic Dice + 3d10s. Probably get my order in a month or two depending on how busy they are. Still they'll have some sweet metal dice up for sale soon from the look of the main page. Not sure if anyone was aware.

http://www.artisandice.com/

RPGguy
2014-05-13, 02:53 PM
I bought some that look like these from Metallic Dice Games and told everyone in my Dungeons group to do the same for metal dice. They have to most variety and seem to have the best customer service I've seen as well.

One of my buddies actually had a problem with his metal set but they sent him another same day and we're all happy with them. They have my recommendation