PDA

View Full Version : Seeing in Magical Darkness

Renen
2014-04-30, 04:44 PM
How to? Any one know an inexpensive item I can get (lvl 7 with appropriate WBL)? I cant make custom items or a permanency spell. (Ebon eyes)

Werephilosopher
2014-04-30, 05:27 PM
How to? Any one know an inexpensive item I can get (lvl 7 with appropriate WBL)? I cant make custom items or a permanency spell. (Ebon eyes)

There's the Blindfold of True Darkness from Arms and Equipment Guide. Not see-in-magical-darkness, but blindsight 60 ft. It also makes you blind in every other way, so no gaze attacks, reading, or seeing color, but if you need to do those just take the blindfold off.

Unfortunately there is no printed item that grants darkvision that can pierce magical darkness as far as I know, you'd need a custom item for that. The BoTD is only 9,000 gp, a very reasonable price for blindsight.

Crake
2014-04-30, 05:45 PM
Ebon eyes is a 1st level spell that lets you see in magical darkness out to 30ft. Little known fact is that true seeing lets you see in perfect clarity in normal and magical darkness out to 120ft too.

Binding tenebrous (a 4th level vestige) also grants you the ability to see with perfect clarity in normal and magical darkness, however unlike the two above, it has no specified range limit.

Talar
2014-04-30, 06:18 PM
I do not know of an item, but there is a warlock invocation, Devil's Sight , that would allow you to see in magical darkness.

Grayson01
2014-04-30, 08:00 PM
There is a Mask I think it's ether in the Drow of the Underdark or the Underdark that let you see in magical Darkness. I believe it was a Gloom mask.

da_chicken
2014-04-30, 08:06 PM
Well, unless we're talking about deeper darkness, anybody can see in the area of plain darkness. The spell creates shadowy illumination, which is enough to see if not well.

Necroticplague
2014-04-30, 08:09 PM
Probably a bit on the pricy side, but their's a feindish graft that lets you see in any darkness. And a crappy gaze attack.

Werephilosopher
2014-04-30, 08:38 PM
There is a Mask I think it's ether in the Drow of the Underdark or the Underdark that let you see in magical Darkness. I believe it was a Gloom mask.

Good catch. DotU, 3,000 gp for magic-piercing darkvision out to 30 feet for 5 rounds, 3 times/day. Also Widens one of your spells up to 3rd level 3 times/day if they have the [Darkness] descriptor.

The Grue
2014-04-30, 08:44 PM
I assume this thread should be tagged 3.5, as PF does not distinguish between "magical" and non-magical darkness.

Darrin
2014-04-30, 09:49 PM
Domain Draught of the Baator domain would let you see in any darkness, unlimited range, for 24 hours. Taking the Planar Touchstone feat might be more permanent.

Grayson01
2014-04-30, 09:54 PM
Good catch. DotU, 3,000 gp for magic-piercing darkvision out to 30 feet for 5 rounds, 3 times/day. Also Widens one of your spells up to 3rd level 3 times/day if they have the [Darkness] descriptor.

Yeah one of my buddies used it in a game with me. I would cast Assassin's Darkness on myself and then he would activate the mask and we would Flank and Sneak attack the snot out of Mooks.

peacenlove
2014-04-30, 11:35 PM
I assume this thread should be tagged 3.5, as PF does not distinguish between "magical" and non-magical darkness.

http://paizo.com/prd/spells/deeperDarkness.html

Well hidden but it does.

The Grue
2014-04-30, 11:40 PM
http://paizo.com/prd/spells/deeperDarkness.html

Well hidden but it does.

Not quite. 3.5 has "darkness" and "magical darkness". Pathfinder has an extra light level below "dark".

This is most noticable in the interaction between Darkness (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/darkness.html#_darkness) and Darkvision. 3.5 Darkvision is defeated; PF Darkvision is not.

As I said, Pathfinder does not distinguish between "darkness" and "magical darkness". It rolls that mechanic into light levels.

peacenlove
2014-05-01, 12:00 AM
Not quite. 3.5 has "darkness" and "magical darkness". Pathfinder has an extra light level below "dark".

This is most noticable in the interaction between Darkness (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/darkness.html#_darkness) and Darkvision. 3.5 Darkvision is defeated; PF Darkvision is not.

As I said, Pathfinder does not distinguish between "darkness" and "magical darkness". It rolls that mechanic into light levels.

I see what you mean now.

For 3.5 Edition, there is Deeper Darkvision in Spell compendium. 3rd level spell, Hours/level and 90' see magic darkness in black and white.
Same book, blindsight and greater blindsight, 3rd and 4th level but low duration (1 min/level).
All are Touch range