PDA

View Full Version : Against my better judgements: Soulborn

Warlocknthewind
2014-04-30, 05:02 PM
Yes, that's right, I'm dipping into the lowest end of the Tier pool and I am going to play a Soulborn.

I have a nice enough DM as to give me the paladin's Charging Smite feature at level five, but I know that this still isn't going to make this an absolutely decent character.

I haven't decided upon race, alignment, or feats, which is why I have humbly turned to the Playground.

I have read the handbook, but without any conclusions still on anything other than the necessity of Sapphire Smite, and NOT elves, there wasn't much else of use.

My campaign includes a Spirit Shaman, a Warlock, and a Daring Outlaw (rogue/swash). We like like high tier 4 to low tier two characters, but I have shown to be more talented than the rest of my group for optimizing characters, and was issued a dare to play a Soulborn without dipping around and relying on other classes to make the character decent.

All I can say is at least it wasn't Samurai.

Anyway, I was hoping for some good suggestions of the Omniscient Ones here at the Playground, who have been so kind to me in the past with similar questions, on what exactly can make a Soulborn a not so terrible class to play.

Which melds/binds are worth a look?
What feats can be best utilized?
Which races work the best? (Please, no elves)

Warlocknthewind
2014-04-30, 07:38 PM
We're starting at level five, I was going to play either an Azurin or Dream Dwarf (for the smiting advantage for free), but the Skarn's Natural weapon also looks as though it could be useful in combat as well, and the Duskling's boost to speed could be essential for charging longer distances.

Thunderstep boots are going to be gained through a feat, since there's synergy with my Charging Smite feature, with maybe Cobalt Charge to augment it all further.

But, then charging is about all the character would be (though rather) good for.

Any help for the one trick pony? :smallbiggrin:

PsyBomb
2014-04-30, 07:51 PM
Need to know a couple of things. First, are you trying to build for something other than just charging smite, or do we just focus it out on that?

Second and MUCH more important, is your party mostly good or evil aligned? Your alignment makes a HUGE difference here.

Warlocknthewind
2014-04-30, 08:03 PM
Mostly good, but LE is accepted as an alignment where not entirely horrible people can be in, no CE under circumstances though.

I want more than just charging to do. Would binding a vestige be useful?

Irk
2014-04-30, 08:31 PM
This is kind of weird, but I'm just posting here so that I remember this thread. I'm busy right, now, but I promise to get back to you, as this is a subject that interests me. What level are you starting at?

Warlocknthewind
2014-04-30, 09:32 PM
Five is the level, so that we get a better idea of our characters before taking the third feat. It's a good challenge, after my iaijutsu focus Factotum/Warblade. Ah.. The abuse.

T.G. Oskar
2014-05-01, 12:43 AM
We're starting at level five, I was going to play either an Azurin or Dream Dwarf (for the smiting advantage for free), but the Skarn's Natural weapon also looks as though it could be useful in combat as well, and the Duskling's boost to speed could be essential for charging longer distances.

Thunderstep boots are going to be gained through a feat, since there's synergy with my Charging Smite feature, with maybe Cobalt Charge to augment it all further.

But, then charging is about all the character would be (though rather) good for.

Any help for the one trick pony? :smallbiggrin:

Sapphire Smite, Bonus Essentia, Awesome Smite and/or Strength of Conviction?

With Sapphire Smite, you gain extra uses of your Smite ability and increase its overall damage for up to 4 essentia. Since you'll be probably hurting for Essentia, Bonus Essentia nets you 2 points to use virtually everywhere.

Awesome Smite requires Power Attack, but it allows you to maximize the effects of your smite (which will be even more powerful with Thunderstep Boots); remember, though, that you only can choose one of the tactical "maneuvers". Strength of Conviction allows you to smite one opponent regardless of its alignment, which is also pretty good.

That makes you dependent on your Smite, though, which isn't always good. Note that between Cobalt Charge and Sapphire Smite you can deal a reasonable amount of damage, it limits you mostly to charges against specific characters to deal immense amounts of damage. Find a way to get maneuvers, and specifically Leading the Charge for added power (about 10 points of damage at 20th level), which can easily pave the way to White Raven Tactics (and therefore some action economy, which is always great).

Taveena
2014-05-01, 01:06 AM
Trying to think of ways to get the Pounce/Thunderstep boots combo. Lion's Pounce feat + Divine Minion template could work. Pouncing Charge maneuver is possible to get at level 18 (ehh.) Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) with the Claws of the Wyrm soulmeld. (Maybe Shape Soulmeld (Dragon Tail) too? Just grabbing whatever natural attacks you can.)

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 01:42 AM
Actually, elves aren't bad soulborns, as long as you pick one without a penalty to Constitution. Wild Elves, Painted Elves, and Snow Elves all work. However, this depends on bow combat, so not for you.

I'm actually a fan of lesser (XPH) duergar for Soulborn on one condition: you can get a psionic version of Magic in the Blood. Yeah, you'll lose out on The added to-hit from your smite, but 3/day you can use expansion as a PLA. That means that at 7th level you can use it as a swift action or grow to huge. This makes tripping a viable choice. Their substitution levels (except 3rd, unless you're fighting only orcs and goblins) are good, giving you an additional three HP, saving you a feat, making your smite do more damage with a warhammer (better if you worship a different god and convince your DM to swap this with another two-hander) and letting you share your incarnum defense with dwarves as a free action at range (admittedly this depends on having another dwarf in the party).

And if you decide to stop being a masochist, you can PrC out into Ironsoul Forgemaster. And hey, there's a brand-spanking new handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344798-Soul-and-Steel-A-Guide-to-the-Ironsoul-Forgemaster-(WIP-PEACH)) for it!

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-01, 01:57 AM
I'm actually a fan of lesser (XPH) duergar for Soulborn on one condition: you can get a psionic version of Magic in the Blood. Yeah, you'll lose out on The added to-hit from your smite, but 3/day you can use expansion as a PLA. That means that at 7th level you can use it as a swift action or grow to huge. This makes tripping a viable choice. Their substitution levels (except 3rd, unless you're fighting only orcs and goblins) are good, giving you an additional three HP, saving you a feat, making your smite do more damage with a warhammer (better if you worship a different god and convince your DM to swap this with another two-hander) and letting you share your incarnum defense with dwarves as a free action at range (admittedly this depends on having another dwarf in the party).

IF your DM doesn't allow a psionic version of Magic in the Blood, there's a feat in CPsi that gives you 2 additional uses of expansion per day, for a total of 3/day.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 02:09 AM
IF your DM doesn't allow a psionic version of Magic in the Blood, there's a feat in CPsi that gives you 2 additional uses of expansion per day, for a total of 3/day.

Oh, hey, cool. My search for dwarf feats in my race handbook didn't turn that up. Thanks.

Yeah, just grab Duergar Expansion instead. Since lesser duergar lose their invisibility S/PLA, it's functionally identical to magic in the blood and you don't need DM approval.

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-01, 07:46 PM
It's looking to be a very smite-centric character, with charging as an alternative action when not smiting people.

Awesome Smite is awesome, and strength of conviction is going to be necessary if I were to go LE, which is how it's looking because of that perfect Lesser Duergar suggestion. Expantion is going to be a welcome addition that adds some potential utility to the character.

DM checked, and since Laduguer's favored is a warhammer as well it looks like I'm stuck with it, though I think I'll simply wield a Large one in two handd and bite to -2 to hit.

Any more suggestions on Soulmelds? Is Necrocarnate Zombie worth it on a Soulborn, for example?

T.G. Oskar
2014-05-01, 09:09 PM
It's looking to be a very smite-centric character, with charging as an alternative action when not smiting people.

Awesome Smite is awesome, and strength of conviction is going to be necessary if I were to go LE, which is how it's looking because of that perfect Lesser Duergar suggestion. Expantion is going to be a welcome addition that adds some potential utility to the character.

DM checked, and since Laduguer's favored is a warhammer as well it looks like I'm stuck with it, though I think I'll simply wield a Large one in two handd and bite to -2 to hit.

Any more suggestions on Soulmelds? Is Necrocarnate Zombie worth it on a Soulborn, for example?

No zombie. Your meldshaper level is half your class level, so it'll be really poor.

Necrocarnum Weapon is decent, since it adds damage to any living creature (doesn't work on undead or constructs, though), but don't bind it. The temporary hit points will be too rare to matter. Shape and bind Bluesteel Bracers, since the bonus to Initiative is always great and you also deal more damage (and since NW's bonus is profane and Bluesteel's is insight, they stack); the initiative bonus is the sole reason why you should focus on binding Bluesteel Bracers, though. Illusion Veil bound to the Brow chakra (at 14th level) nets you See Invisibility, which is pretty nice even though the rest of the benefit is pointless to you.

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-01, 10:25 PM
Okay, after looking over that Handy Dandy Handbook for ISFM, it's looking like LG duergar (weird, yes, but so is taking levels in Soulborn)
So I qualify for said OrC, allowing me earlier access to soulmelds, better class abilities (duh), eventually the heart chakra (saving me a feat), abd the lost BAB isn't terribly important, smiting and focusing on charges means very unlikely to get iteratives.

Feats go accordingly

1. Power attack
3. Awesome smite, Sapphire Smite
6. Bonus Essentia
9. Psycharnum Infusion
12. Azure Talent

What to use those power points on???

Can I use em for psi-like abilities??

Is there a feat that gives me a power known?

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-01, 10:30 PM
Yes (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Expanded_Knowledge)

But you need ML 3

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-01, 11:04 PM
Perfect! I'll be ML 4 by level 2! I subs NO idea what power to pick, thar be hunnerds of first level powers :D again I ask, any suggestions? I have ideas, but optimizers on the playground still put me to shame.

:smallredface:

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-01, 11:30 PM
Also, Hidden Talent would work as well gives you a first level power and 2 power points, but has to be taken at first level.

With being the melee person you are, Flanking Buddy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm), Refreshable Temp HP Pool (http://dmreference.com/SRD/Psionic/Powers/Q-W/Vigor.htm), or AC (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/inertialArmor.htm)

Aegis013
2014-05-02, 12:42 AM
Dimension Hop is a nice tactical teleport for a first level psionic power.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-02, 02:57 AM
Perfect! I'll be ML 4 by level 2! I subs NO idea what power to pick, thar be hunnerds of first level powers :D again I ask, any suggestions? I have ideas, but optimizers on the playground still put me to shame.

:smallredface:

You qualify at level 1, actually. XPH duergar have expansion as a PLA at ML=HD, minimum 3.

And there is a way to activate expansion using power points: Duerran Metaform Training (CoV). It costs five PP, unfortunately, so Duergar Expansion is probably the better choice.

Psyren
2014-05-02, 09:18 AM
With being the melee person you are, Flanking Buddy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm), Refreshable Temp HP Pool (http://dmreference.com/SRD/Psionic/Powers/Q-W/Vigor.htm), or AC (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/inertialArmor.htm)

Soulborns can wear heavy armor so don't bother with inertial armor as it doesn't stack. I'd go with Force Screen or Defensive Precognition (both last 10 rounds at ML 1) instead, as both will stack with your armor.

Warlocknthewind
2014-05-02, 09:12 PM
Not going ISFM cause me smites would be laughed at by level 8.

Starting with Soultouched Pentifax Full-plate, cause it's thematic, and practical. (Like my DM)
Valorous Pentifax Heavy-Pick, because I'm certainly going to get more damage out of it than any war-hammer, even when smiting.

Precognitive Offense is the Power I'm taking with Expanded Knowledge, cause I'm a sucker for some to-hit bonuses (terribly depressing to whiff on a charge), also that feat that allows me gain Psionic Focus as a move action.

Thanks a million everybody who replied! I feel this character's gonna be an able combanant, getting reach, lots of essentia when needed, and a darned good way to dish out some damage, I couldn't have designed one such as it with my own capabilities.

There's a surprising amount of synergy between Psionics & Meldshaping :smallconfused: