PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dex CMB Fighter?

Da'Shain
2014-04-30, 05:09 PM
My group'll be switching over to a pirate campaign soon, and what I'm looking to create is a bravo who's first across the deck onto captured ships and fights by humiliating his enemies while evading most hits. I'm not looking for him to be a great damage dealer (although of course damaging options are welcome), but more to augment his combat maneuvers and keep him dangerous because of how much he shuts down opponents' ability to fight as opposed to HP damage.

The campaign is beginning at 5th level, with no indication how long it's supposed to go.

So far, what I have is this budding Duelist here:

Praesul, Tiefling blade bravo
Str 12, Dex 20 (+1 added at 4th level), Con 12, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 5
Alt Tiefling Traits: Scaled Skin (+1 Nat AC/Resist Fire 5), Prehensile Tail
Traits: Threatening Defender, Adopted (Dwarves), Glory of Old

1) Fighter (Lore Warden) 1: Weapon Finesse, Dodge
2) Monk (Maneuver Master/Qinggong) 1: Improved Trip
3) Monk (MM/Q) 2: Improved Disarm, Combat Reflexes
4) Monk (MM/Q) 3:
5) Monk (MM/Q) 4: Crane Style, Qinggong Barkskin

Items (Starting wealth 10,500): Agile Rapier +1, Quick Runner's Shirt, Cloak of Resistance +1

He does 1d6+6 with a decent crit range per attack, and can flurry every full-attack round to add in a trip or disarm attempt (using his Dex to CMB), so versus humanoid enemies he's going to be shutting them down with a vengeance. He's also got a Stunning Fist at DC 15. And he's got an AC of 21 and touch of 20 standing still, which he can bump by 4 fighting defensively for -2 to hit (-1 if the DM rules Threatening Defender can be used with normal fighting defensively, which I'm confident he will based on past games), by another 2 with Barkskin, and by another 4 in an emergency with Ki, and this doesn't even count likely having Mage Armor or something else all the time.

I take Monk to 4, even though it'll make me choose between Duelist early or taking Fighter to 5 for weapon training and Gloves of Dueling (I'll probably go for the latter) because the saves, ki pool and AC bonus fit with my vision of him as being incredibly fast (ki for extra attacks) and incredibly hard to hit. In the future, I'll continue fighter and use those feats to add in Dirty Trick and Greater Dirty Trick, and eventually finish off the Crane Style feat chain; the only problem is that I have to work in Mobility somewhere so that I can take Duelist later on and have both Wis and Int to AC, while getting an extra source of damage, which is so far fairly low.

So, any suggestions/advice? Is this guy simply not threatening enough despite his combat maneuvers? That's my main worry, that I'll fall into the common monk trap of emphasizing defense without giving enemies enough reason to even try to hit him.