PDA

View Full Version : Getting immunity to con damage (even if just temporary).

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-30, 05:12 PM
As the title says, I'm looking for ways to become immune to ability damage (con damage in particular). I'm starting a game as a Silverbrow Human Sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 3/Spelldancer 1. The plan of course is to persist all the buffs ever, but for that I need to get around the limits of spelldancing.

Sandals of the Vagabond will solve the exhaustion problem, but I still need a way to mitigate the con damage. Solutions involving items would be preferrable (incarnum is banned so shape soulmeld strongheart vest is not an option Q_Q.

Malroth
2014-04-30, 05:15 PM
Binder 1 for Naberious renders con damage largely moot.
A raven Familiar with a wand of Lesser Restoration and ranks in UMD accomplishes much of the same thing albeit at much greater cost.

Jack_Simth
2014-04-30, 05:25 PM
Sheltered Vitality, Spell Compendium page 188, Cleric/Druid-4, minutes/level, does exactly what you want. Can you get a friendly cleric, or UMD and a pile of scrolls?
Veil of Undeath (Spell Compendium 229) is out of your reach for now at Sor/Wiz 8.
The Magic Item Compendium has the Talisman of Undying Fortitude, but 3 rounds isn't nearly enough for what you want.
If you have all three pieces of Wrath's Woe (Magic Item Compendium 215), you get what amounts to a Restoration 1/day.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-30, 05:26 PM
Id go Binder 1, you regen 1 con damage a round, and thats usually sufficient

DarkSonic1337
2014-04-30, 09:01 PM
I would really rather not sink a class level into it, but I may have to.

The rest of the party is...well largely still up in the air. I know one person is doing spelltheif/wizard/red wizard/??? and the other is going to do some tome of battle multiclassing. We won't really have a divine caster.

Mountain
2014-05-01, 12:10 AM
Is it possible to play a necropolitan, and therefore not even have a CON score to damage?

Xerlith
2014-05-01, 01:33 AM
Don't dip Binder, just get the Bind Vestige feat and you nab Naberius.

Gildedragon
2014-05-01, 01:48 AM
Don't dip Binder, just get the Bind Vestige feat and you nab Naberius.

Nope. Bind Vestige Feat (Naby nabbing) gives his skills ability, the Imp. version is no better it gives silver tongue.

Necropolitan is prolly the easiest

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 02:22 AM

Alternatively, dip incarnate and shape a Strongheart Vest. Invest one essential and it gives you DR 2 to ability damage, which is the most you'll ever take at a time. It gives you more options than binder does too, since you'll be able to shape another soulmeld and change it each day.

Or change your race to azurn and pick up Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest).

DarkSonic1337
2014-05-01, 04:06 AM
Incarnum is banned as I mentioned in the OP.

I'd like to remain human.

I'm going to ask if I can get an 1/day command word item of Sheltered Vitality. The price for that would be 4*7*1800/5=10080g right?

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 04:22 AM
Incarnum is banned as I mentioned in the OP.

I'd like to remain human.

I'm going to ask if I can get an 1/day command word item of Sheltered Vitality. The price for that would be 4*7*1800/5=10080g right?

Rats. Sorry, I thought I checked

Yes, that's right. If he says no (they are only guidelines), you can get a minor schema for a little more: 11,200.

Actually, polymorph would work too, since it gives you the type. Undead are immune to anything requiring a Fortitude save, and Constitution damage on top of it. Just polymorph into a zombie and be Michael Jackson for a few minutes. Has the added benefit of being useful on days when you don't plan on spelldancing, and you can cast it yourself if you'd rather spend a spell known than money.

NoACWarrior
2014-05-01, 04:34 AM
If not stated already, grab "shape soulmeld" feat to get strongheart vest and get some form of essentia to reduce your con damage by 1+ essentia invested.

Andezzar
2014-05-01, 04:42 AM
Eternal Wand of Lesser Restoration. Lesser Restoration is an arcane spell for the Knight of the Weave and thus can be put in an Eternal Wand. Heal Ability damage 2/day for 820 gp. Buy two or three if that is not enough.

TuggyNE
2014-05-01, 05:05 AM
If not stated already, grab "shape soulmeld" feat to get strongheart vest and get some form of essentia to reduce your con damage by 1+ essentia invested.

It was already stated, and already stated to not work because Incarnum is out.

Necroticplague
2014-05-01, 06:29 AM

Yeah, but not in this case. Spell dancing causes 2 con damage a round. So it would merely double the time you can spelldance. Of course, if all your dancing is out of combat, then I guess it'll work.

NoACWarrior
2014-05-01, 07:05 AM
It was already stated, and already stated to not work because Incarnum is out.
Sorry at the time I wasn't looking at the posts since I was trying to multitask.

Another way, which simply requires the ability to channel positive energy / turn undead is to pick up the feat Sacred Vitality.
Sacred vitality gives the user 1 minute of ability damage immunity per standard action turn / channel expended

Although Cleric is the most "common" way of getting the prerequisite, to save a Caster level you could go sacred exorcist, but it requires a character level of around 7 to enter.
This would push dancer out 1 level or replace swiftblade level 3.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-01, 07:14 AM
Rats. Sorry, I thought I checked

Yes, that's right. If he says no (they are only guidelines), you can get a minor schema for a little more: 11,200.

Actually, polymorph would work too, since it gives you the type. Undead are immune to anything requiring a Fortitude save, and Constitution damage on top of it. Just polymorph into a zombie and be Michael Jackson for a few minutes. Has the added benefit of being useful on days when you don't plan on spelldancing, and you can cast it yourself if you'd rather spend a spell known than money.
Polymorph won't let you do undead or constructs unless you're already an undead or construct.

DarkSonic1337
2014-05-01, 07:32 AM
Yeah the dancing will really just be out of combat.

I'm also strongly considering using a Wizard base instead of Sorcerer based casting. Really what I wanted from sorcerer were wings of cover, arcane fusion (and greater), and a little action economy breakage with arcane spellsurge+invisible spell.

But I've recently taken notice of some attractive options for a wizard base (besides being able to learn more spells of course). I'd be able to take much better advantage of metamagic rods, I'd have access to the delicious abrupt jaunt ACF (which actually fits into the feel of swiftblade very nicely) and it fits better with my backstory (a graduate from a militaristic magic school).

Oh and spelldancing for echoing spell seems pretty cool for buffs that I want to share with the party (like greater magic weapon :))

Nightraiderx
2014-05-01, 07:42 AM
He's a sorcerer, getting those skill points to dip Sacred Exorcist would require him to know two knowledge skills (which he only has knowledge arcane from his base class) I will instead suggest this alt from Complete Champion and then coupling it with Sacred Vitality. Domain Access Alt for lvl 5 sorcerer. And then use the Sun/Undead Domain alts for Turn/Reduke undead. The sacrifice however is loosing 1 known spell per spell level. But you don't have to dip or worry about having enough skill points.

*Edit* Since you are thinking wizard, you can still use this trick you actually loose less, the alt is called domain granted power, it's given at lvl 5/10/15 in place of a bonus feat and you can enter in it earlier. Still can grab the Sun/Undeath Turn/Rebuke Alt

Necroticplague
2014-05-01, 08:00 AM
Polymorph won't let you do undead or constructs unless you're already an undead or construct.

A zern, an aberration, however, has an ability you can pick up via polymorph that gives similar immunity to fort-needing effects.