PDA

View Full Version : residual magic

bjoern
2014-04-30, 08:13 PM
New member here. I've been hitting it with my axe for years, never been a spellcaster. Thought I'd give it a try. I'm split between a silver brow human sorcerer or a kobold sorcerer. Human for the two extra feats or kobold for the extra CL from greater rites.(no dragon wrought)
Anyway, my question is about the application of residual magic.
Say I cast a maximized empowered magic missile (adjusted level 6)
Next round I can cast MM again and add either metamagic for free so I can do
1--empowered magic missile (adj. Level 1)

Or

2--maximised magic missile (adj. Level 1)

Is it possible to apply the free metamagic feat from RM and pay for another feat like normal like this

Maximised (free), twinned magic missile and have it be a level 5 slot (1 from magic missile, 4 from twin, max is free from residual)?

Thanks

bjoern
2014-05-02, 09:23 AM
Any thoughts on this?

Can you cast a spell with 3 metamagic feats on it and then next round cast the exact same spell with more than just the free metamagic on it if you pay the level adjustment for the other metamagics?

GilesTheCleric
2014-05-02, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the playground. If you haven't already, I do recommend reading the forum rules. But on to your question. Yes, you can add another (or more than one) metamagic to the spell you cast in the second round, following the normal rules as if the spell didn't already have any metamagic applied. Don't forget that spontaneous casters use slightly different rules for metamagic than prepared casters.

In terms of picking a race, it depends on your build and expected spell usage -- CL is good, but many of the best spells don't allow saves or SR, so whether you need high CL depends on which ones you're casting. Feats are always useful.