PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fixing Adamant Entertainment's Artificer ...again...

WhiteDrag0n
2014-04-30, 08:58 PM
I really love and really hate this class:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer

I love it because it provides so many roll play opportunities with creating a wide array of technical gadgets that can be used and remade and providing a scratch to the artificer itch that Pathfinder has avoided for a while now. Fingers crossed for Advanced class guide.

I have fixed some of the things I disliked and added some things from Drop dead studios Artisen (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/3rd-party-publisher---drop-dead-studios---classes/the-artisan) and from this guy (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2levn?Tome-of-Secrets-Artificer-Conversion). Another possible conversion can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255537-Pathfinder-Reworked-Class-Artificer) (not me).

Artisen BTW is, the more I think about it, the better pathfinder class. Each time you play the class he can be different which is a big pathfinder thing, and he will have more straight out items. But he isn't a mad scientist so he we are:

Things I took out and why:

"Jack of all trades": Because all the engineers I know can perform an acrobatic routine and Forage for food in the wild. Fricken duh.

"Metamagic Science": I'm still hemming and hawing about this. I figure this guy is basically a wizard/thief (come on ACG!) Reduced spell casting replacing sneak attack + magic items. He has lots of tricks in his bag already with wierd science, does he need to blast stuff with wands too?

Fort and BAB: I reduced HP, BAB, and The fort save. He is basically a caster with skillz. I could be persuaded to change this, but I sided on lower than higher. I figure he is already very powerful.

"Elbow grease and Item creation": These felt like a hold over from 3.5, Arisen did it better for pathfinder, so I stole that.

Changes to "Wierd Science": Sigh... So cool and yet so broken. Why must you tempt me foul siren! So you can no longer make a three lightning bolt at once death ray cannon, but removing multiple spells all together will make the primary blasting ability of the class away. But then if this is supposed to be a kinda thief/wizard build then maybe he shouldn't be able to blast. Tell me what you think. If I took out the ability to use multiple spells I would put "Metamagic Science" back in. Also, UMD is to easily buffed, You can't use your wierd science Item forever any more. This makes you ask yourself, do I use the deathray cannon, or do I save it for later? (The answer is always Deathray Cannon!)

Things I put in and why:

"Schema": The class needed to be reined in at earlier levels, having a wizards spell book helps with that, and at later levels it won't really matter. I didn't want to take away the divine/arcane feel and I thought reducing his choices would help.

"Trinket": Its cool and the class should have access to 0lvl spells. To go the complete opposite direction check out this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255537-Pathfinder-Reworked-Class-Artificer).

"Artifice Domain": Class gains mending as an orison, something an artificer should have and gains the ability to smack constructs around, an artificer should have. I think the 8th lvl summoning golums and flying swords is where its at.

"Magical Afinity": If it exists you should be able to use it and make it. Plus it's simpler to remember than elbow grease. This also negates the need for most skill buffing spells.

"Remove wards": Uh... this is a toughy. If anything I added breaks the class this is it. (as if the class wasn't already broken) Artificer is basically a item crafty wizard, adding in a (limited) trapfinding, makes him able to fill two roles in the party and early on about as well as both those classes. I just think the Class should be able to do this, don't you?

"Hormunculous familiar": Whats a Mad scientist without a clockwork raven huh?

"Arcane builder"" Artificers should be able to build better than Wizards, wizards should be more flexible. Adding Arcane Builder as a class ability means that this class will always be able to create magic items as well as a wizard.

"Hidden Stache, transference, Item Summoning": These were added to add late game power. Loosing access to powerful spells means that you will have to increase functionality, Being able to call up items quickly should help.

Technologica Arcanum: Idea stolen directly from this guy (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2levn?Tome-of-Secrets-Artificer-Conversion). This allows this character to combine effects to get close to 9th lvl spell powe

Magnum opus: Another Artisen (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/3rd-party-publisher---drop-dead-studios---classes/the-artisan) ability and one rife with roll-play potential. By this level your rivaling gods, might as well act like it.

Role: Artificers are valuable support within their party, offering technological and magical assistance to others. Their weird science abilities make them well suited to augmenting the specific needs of any adventuring group.

Hit Dice: d6

Starting Wealth: 3d6 x 10 gp (average 105gp)

Class Skills

The artificer’s class skills are Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Perception (Wis), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Ranks per Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Table: Artificer

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Weird
Science
Inventions

1st
+0
+0
+0
+2
Master Craftsman, Schema book, Weird science, Artifice Domain, trinket, Scribe scroll
-
-
-

2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3
Magical Affinity, Brew potion
-
-
-

3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3
Craft wondrous Item, Remove wards
-
-

4th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Hormunculous familiar
-
-

5th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Craft magic arms and armor, salvage, Arcane Builder
-

6th
+3
+2
+2
+5

-

7th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Craft wand, Hidden Stache
-

8th
+4
+2
+2
+6

-

9th
+4
+3
+3
+6
Craft rod
-

10th
+5
+3
+3
+7
Arcane Builder, Transference
-

11th
+5
+3
+3
+7

12th
+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
Craft Staff

13th
+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
Item Summoning

14th
+7/+2
+4
+4
+9
Forge Ring

15th
+7/+2
+5
+5
+9
Arcane Builder

16th
+8/+3
+5
+5
+10
Instant Summons

17th
+8/+3
+5
+5
+10
Technologica Arcanum

18th
+9/+4
+6
+6
+11

19th
+9/+4
+6
+6
+11
Magnum opus

20th
+10/+5
+6
+6
+12
Arcane Builder

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the artificer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

An artificer is proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields)

Master Craftsman (Ex)

An artificer gains the Master Craftsman feat at 1st level. While he only gains the +2 bonus to one craft or profession skill, an artificer may use his ranks in any relevant craft or profession skill as his caster level when crafting magic items or qualifying for item creation feats. An artificer may also qualify for and select any item creation feat, not just Craft Weapons and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item.

Weird Science
An artificer is not a spellcaster, but instead possesses the ability to imbue items with magical power. This weird science allows the artificer to create devices that combine the effects of one or more spells, either arcane or divine. These spells are then imbued into a device of arcane power. 1 spell can be imbued in one device, or several spells may be placed in one device as follows.

An artificer has access to both arcane and divine spell lists, but access only to those he has converted to schema and put in his schema book. Spell statistics (casting times, etc.) remain unchanged, although no components are required, however if a spell with a costly spell component is converted to a schema and imbued in a device, the artificer must pay the spell component cost once when the device is created. The artificer is considered the “caster” for the purposes of CL and uses his inteligence as spellcasting stat.

Weird science devices must be invented in advance, however -- they cannot be created on the fly. The time to create such devices is 4 hours per spell level used. As such, an artificer usually has a fixed collection of regularly-carried devices. Old devices may be broken down in an hour and be used to create a new device, and new schema may be added to an old device at 4hrs per schema level added. A device can never have more than one schema imbued of the same level.

Weird science devices are used a number of times per day equal to 1 plus half the class level of the artificer who built the device (rounding up).

An artificer may Combine multiple magical effects into a single device means that both effects function simultaneously upon activation (effectively casting two or more spells at once) -- but for each additional spell must be lower than the previous applied spell

Wierd Science items that are not used by the creating artificer require a UMD check to use. Regular devices with only one magical effect can be activated as per wand at DC 20, a complex device with multiple magical effects redires a UMD check of DC 25 to use. Using a device in this way uses daily charges as if used by the artificer.

Example
Roderick, a 5th level artificer, invents an electromagnetic projector -- a gun which emulates the effect of the 3rd level wizard spell, lightning Bolt. It will have a range of 120 feet, and do 5d6 points of electricity damage to any target. This device will take Roderick 12 hours to build. It can be fired 4 times per day.

If Roderick, int 16, had decided to combine lightning Bolt, inflict moderate wounds (2nd level Cleric spell) and shield (1st level Wizard) into his gun, giving him a weapon which does 5d6 electricity damage at 120' range (DC 16), 2d8+5 points of damage (DC 15) if you use touch attack, and bestows a +4 shield bonus to AC for 1 min/level errata, it would have taken him 24 hours to complete. The gun would be able to be fired 4 times per day. Roderick could not make a gun that cast lightning bolt, darkness and inflict moderate wounds, for inflict and darkness are both 2nd lvl spells.

Schema Book
An Artificer Build his Wierd Science inventions from schema he collects in his journeys. These schema are created from spells of either divine or arcane scrolls that are transcribed into the book. This functions just as a Wizard's spellbook. The Artificer starts with 3 1st lvl schema in his book and may add 2 new schema at each level. They must be of a level of invention he can create. An artificer can also translate a spell to his book whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in a spellbook. No matter what the spell's source, the artificer must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings). Next, he must spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, he must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level).

Artifice Domain
An artificer gains access To the artifice domain special ability, at 8th lvl he may take a sub domain

Trinket
The Artificer often has little magical bobbles at his disposal which he is constantly foolng with. The artificer can choose a single 0 lvl spell and imbue a device with it. he may then use that device at will as a wand of that spell. After an 8 hr rest the artificer may replace the spell in the trinket with another

Magical Affinity (Ex)
An artisan adds his class level as a competence bonus to any craft or profession check made to produce a magic item. He also adds half his artisan level as a competence bonus to his Use Magic Device skill (minimum 1.)

Remove wards
An artificer may detect and disarm magical traps as if he had trapfinding

Hormunculous familiar
At 4th level, an Artificer gains a homunculus familiar. He does not need the Craft Construct feat, nor the prerequisite craft or profession skill, to create this homunculus. He simply needs to obtain the constructed body and perform the usual ritual (8 hours, 200 gp per artisan level) for gaining a familiar, plus the usual cost for animating a homunculus, (1000 gp). If the artisan possesses levels in another class that grants a familiar he may choose not to take a homunculus as his familiar.

The Artificer may make basic modifications (except adding Hit Dice) to his homunculus familiar, as well as perform repairs, but he may not perform weapon modifications unless he possesses Craft Weapons and Armor, nor can he make complex modifications without the Craft Construct feat.

Salvage
At 5th level, an artificer gains the ability to salvage the gold piece value from a magic item and use those funds to create another magic item. The artificer must spend a day with the item, and he must also have the appropriate item creation feat for the item he is salvaging. After one day, the item is destroyed and the artificer gains the gp value it took to create the item. This value is cannot be spent as gold, it may only be used in the creation of another magic item.

Example 4
An artificer wants to salvage a wand of lightning bolts that has 20 charges. Originally created (like all wands) with 50 charges, it required 5625 gp when initially made, or approximately 113 gp (5625 divided by 50) per charge. The artificer is able to recover the gp value from the remaining charges. He gains the value of (113 x 20) 2260 gp to put toward the creation of another item.

Arcane Builder
At 5th level and every 5 lvls after, the artificer gains Arcane builder as the wizard discovery

Hidden Cache (Su)

At 7th level, an artificer may create a cache in the astral plane for his equipment. This functions similarly to the secret chest spell, using the artisan’s class level as his caster level, except the chest never runs the risk of disappearing, and the artisan may reforge the chest replica if it is lost or destroyed to regain access to the cache. Only one replica may exist at a time, and forging a new one causes the previous replica to lose its power. Living creatures cannot be stored in an artisan’s hidden cache; the cache refuses to return to the Astral plane if this is attempted.

Transference (Su)

At 10th level, an Artificer gains the ability to take the enchantment on one item and transfer it to another item of the same type (melee weapon to melee weapon, armor to armor, shield to shield, etc.) If the second item already possesses an enchantment, that enchantment is transferred to the first item. To transfer enchantments, the artificer must have both magic items and the appropriate item creation feat for that type of item. Transferring enchantments takes 1 hour of focused work. Note that some enchantments will not function if transferred to certain items (such as a duelist enchantment transferred to a halberd.) Constructs may not have their enchantments transferred, but enchantments on a construct’s armor or weapons may be transferred as normal. Intelligent items that are unwilling to be transferred make a will save against a DC of 10 + ? the artisan’s class level + his Charisma modifier. If the item succeeds at this check, then the artisan may not try transference again on that item, unless the item relents. Artifacts can never be transferred.

Item Summoning (Su)

At 13th level, an artificer no longer needs to summon his cache in order to store and retrieve items stored there. The artificer may send an item to his cache, summon an item from his cache, or switch an item with one from his cache as a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The item or items in question must have been in the craftsman’s possession for at least 24 hours before using this ability. If the artisan summons armor or another item that can be worn, he may choose to summon it directly onto his body if he so chooses. While the artisan does not need to open his cache to exchange items, he must still have the small chest replica on his person to summon an item in this way.

Instant Summons (Su)

At 16th level, the time it takes an artisan to use item summoning is reduced to a move action, and no longer provokes an attack of opportunity.

Technologica Arcanum
At 17th lvl the artificer gains the ability to apply his metamagic to his Weird science items by expending an additional charge for each lvl the metamagic would increase the spell by. He must have the appropriate item creation feat for the spell completion item he is using. The metamagic is applied to every spell on the device and may be applied on the fly. If the metamagic cannot affect the spell, than it has no effect

Example
Roderick has reached lvl 17 and has decided to combine Holy Smite, lightning Bolt, inflict moderate wounds (2nd level Cleric spell) and shield (1st level Wizard) into his brand new Deathgun, giving him a weapon which does 5d8 holy dmg to evil creature (DC 17), 10d6 electricity damage at 120' range (DC 16), 2d8+17 points of damage (DC 15) if you use touch attack, and bestows a +4 shield bonus to AC for 1 min/level, it would have taken him 60 hours to complete and he could use it 9 tines a day. He can add maximise metamagic to the device, if he has the feat, by expending 4 uses of the device for the day. If he doesn't have enough uses left, then he cannot add his metamagic.

Magnum Opus (Ex)

At 19th level, the artificer unlocks the secret of creating artifacts. He gains one minor artifact, subject to GM’s approval, which represents his constant tinkering throughout his life. This item is virtually indestructible and may be called to the artisan who made it from anywhere, even across planes. This minor artifact is not bound equipment and thus may be used by others.

The artisan may now forge major and minor artifacts, but the process for crafting such items is long, difficult, and unique to each item. Forging an artifact could require rare and unique materials, visits to other planes, communication with outer gods, fire from the heart of an active volcano, or any number of special prerequisites.

So tell me what you think. I know it's broken still but maybe we can parse it back a bit. And if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!