PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster dipping into shadow adept?

CyberThread
2014-04-30, 11:05 PM
So using this as a backdrop for my argument http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070725

Do you think a shadowcaster would benefit from the feats of Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, and Tenacious Magic much? Using the excuse of meeting the feat requirements means it would logically meet the PRC requirements.

How much would the caster get from such a dip?

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-30, 11:12 PM
Possible problem I see is that at 7th level shadowcasters no longer cast 3rd level spells, they use 3rd level spell-like abilities.

CyberThread
2014-04-30, 11:16 PM
S Using the excuse of meeting the feat requirements means it would logically meet the PRC requirements.

Hmm, I wonder...... if that might help with that spells to SLA problem...

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-30, 11:24 PM
Well, in that case.

All of those would definitely help out the Shadowcaster as much as any spellcaster.
A bonus is that for the most part the most evocations a shadowcaster would cast should be through (greater) shadow evocation, which is an illusion.
Not sure if they have any transmutations. I wouldn't doubt if they did though.

peacenlove
2014-05-01, 12:15 AM
Well, in that case.

All of those would definitely help out the Shadowcaster as much as any spellcaster.
A bonus is that for the most part the most evocations a shadowcaster would cast should be through (greater) shadow evocation, which is an illusion.
Not sure if they have any transmutations. I wouldn't doubt if they did though.

Most of their buffs + Shadow time + Languor (non mind affecting hold monster) are transmutations.
Killing shadows and Ephemeral storm (Wail of the banshee without the [death] tag and damage on successful save) are evocations.
Practised spellcaster should help however (and you need it for Black Magic) so that's hardly an issue.

Shadow adept also has better class features than the base shadowcaster but worse chassis (Bad fortitude, lower hd), so it would be a good class to finish.

Possible problem I see is that at 7th level shadowcasters no longer cast 3rd level spells, they use 3rd level spell-like abilities.

You do not lose a prestige class benefits when you stop having it's prerequisites, unless otherwise noted.
Else dragon disciple wouldn't exist.