PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Quilted Armor too OP?

Jarred Stone
2014-05-01, 03:55 AM
> This enhanced form of padded armor has internal layers specifically designed to trap arrows, bolts, darts, shuriken, thrown daggers, and other small ranged piercing weapons. When these kinds of weapons strike you, they tend to become snagged in these layers and fail to harm you.

> Benefit: You gain DR 3/— against attacks of this kind (small piercing weapons). The special layers of the armor have no effect on other kinds of weapons.

I am DMing a steampunk campaign on Pathfinder, where guns are everywhere.

> B-but guns are broken in Pathfinder!

Since they ignore armor at point-blank shot and people are dumping constitution (because getting more skill points is far important for the style of the campaign), combats are pretty more lethal and even a scrub with luck could **** you really hard.

Of course, in order to support the arquetype of "walking iron mountain" a little, I house-ruled you get RD 1/2/3 against ranged attacks if you are wearing light/medium/heavy armor. But, now, one of my players showed me this kind of armor in >pic related. It only cost 100 gold pieces and can be weared under other armor.

Isn't it a little OP for just 100 gold coins? You could ditch with it most of the damage low levels would deal to you. A medium pistol (1d8) would have a 37,5 % of not dealing **** to the enemy. And let's not talk about small races and their 1d6 pistols.

Before, with the house-rule, when a full-plate juggernaut showed in the scene, it had its dramatic pace, since it was an enemy the players would surely have problems dealing with him. But, if I replace the house-rule with this armor, I don't find any reason why people wouldn't wear it as his first armor of choice. Making people to return to swords and katanas because +1 AC is easier to deal than RD 3/-.

Has someone introduced this armor in their games? Are my worries legitimate or just plain stupid? Should I switch the house-rule with this armor?

Yanisa
2014-05-01, 04:09 AM
Quilted Cloth does not work against bullets. It is not listed in examples, the best rule decirption we got is "small ranged piercing weapons" and bullets are best "small ranged blunt and piercing wepaons". It's the blunt damage that allows it to ignore the Damage Reduction...

Is it OP? Yes 100 gold for 3 damage of every arrow is awesome, especially because most ranged classes tned to have many weak attacks rather then one strong attack.

Also I am unsure wheter you can were this under other armor and still get the benefits, can't find any rules against it though.

Ssalarn
2014-05-01, 10:00 AM
As noted, Quilted Armor does nothing against bullets, since they deal B&P not just P. It won't impact your campaign world at all, except for those instances where someone is using a bow instead of a gun.

Technically, it's poorly written and describes giving DR 3/- vs. piercing weapons, but again, bullets are bludgeoning and piercing, and they are not mentioned as being any of the types of included weapons for the ability.

**EDIT**

You know, after thinking about this further, I created a thread over in the Paizo Rules Forum (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qyjt?Does-Quilted-Cloth-armor-provide-its-DR). I think I'm changing my stance.

The DR provided is DR 3/-, not DR 3/bludgeoning or slashing. And a bullet fired from a pistol does match the description of "small piercing weapon" it just also deals bludgeoning, in the same way that a Duelist can meet the requirements of class abilities to be wielding a "one-handed piercing weapon" by picking up a morningstar. Is the ability needlessly complicated and providing the wrong DR type, or was it intentionally worded this way to be forward thinking and provide DR against weapons that might deal piercing and other damage types?
Either way, I think the current RAW means this actually does apply the DR to firearm attacks.

Yanisa
2014-05-01, 11:16 AM
As noted, Quilted Armor does nothing against bullets, since they deal B&P not just P. It won't impact your campaign world at all, except for those instances where someone is using a bow instead of a gun.

Technically, it's poorly written and describes giving DR 3/- vs. piercing weapons, but again, bullets are bludgeoning and piercing, and they are not mentioned as being any of the types of included weapons for the ability.

Well in this case its the fault of one of the dudes at d20PFSRD. They added the line "(small piercing weapons)" which makes the whole thing more confusing then it already it. The full text from the book is:

Quilted Cloth: This enhanced form of padded armor has internal layers specifically designed to trap arrows, bolts, darts, shuriken, thrown daggers, and other small ranged piercing weapons. When these kinds of weapons strike you, they tend to become snagged in these layers and fail to harm you. You gain DR 3/— against attacks of this kind. The special layers of the armor have no effect on other kinds of weapons.

Also found on the Paizo PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedGear.html#_quilted-cloth).

That still means it is poorly written, but at least it doesn't make you think melee would fall into the category... :smalltongue: