PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Searching for a battle system for a RPG-by-Chat

Moak
2014-05-01, 05:34 AM
Hi everyone.

First of all, I hope is the right section of the forums to ask...but I'm asking about some RPG rules, so, I put this here.

I am working with a group of people on a rpg-by-chat about Saint Seiya. It's a simple, not very big (for now), localized project. And I have a problem, that I hope you can help me to overcome.

The game will be about an all-out war in an alternate dimension between various divine faction... some from Saint Seiya Canon, some homebrew.

In the beginning, I was thinking about a free-form combat with master following the action... but some discussion with the other creator made us change idea. We want people to be able to fight without bias and problem and without having to wait for a master... after all, it's a war! We want people to enjoy them selves punching one another.

We've looked to some alternatives (a d20-inspired combat system, a combat system from another land, and an original idea of a friend) but they are.... luckluster.

The d20-like system seem too much binded to levelling, and isn't something we are thinking to put in. The alternatives are, in my eyes, or too complicated, or with big holes that someone experienced can take and reverse in our face making hyper-op character.

What I'm looking for:

- A system where there are some characteristic that "drive" the calculation about attack resolution/damage resolution
- A system that can make me create flexible "special attack", to allow everyone to build his own specials
- A system that is fairy balanced, and isn't level dependent

The Saint will be divided in 3 (or 4) group: bronze, silver, gold. Everyone will have, in the same range, the same skill sum (like, all bronze have 100 point to split between characteristics). There will be an automatic calculator about attack resolution that is OPTIONABLY put to part to make some pure-master-driven fights.

I've got some idea, but I think that re-inventing the wheel everytime can be pretty stupid so... there are system that I can use, or take ispiration from?

I've heard that there are some tabletop RPG about saint seiya... are them any good to get any kind of inspiration?

(I'm also thinking about having/not having secondary skill depending from the main characteristic, a-la D&D skills... but for a mainly free-form rpg, is it a good idea?)

Rhynn
2014-05-01, 06:36 AM
Mutants & Masterminds.

Big Eyes, Small Mouth. (Not the d20 edition, what kind of stupid idea was that anyway?)