PDA

View Full Version : Player Help building a lock down tank crusader

shadowseve
2014-05-01, 09:40 AM
My wife is wanting to try something new and switch from cleric to crusader. I've never really gotten into TOB expect as a dip for sword sage for a rogue build. Crusaders intrigue me but I've no idea where to start other than a Glaive, thicket of blankets but that's the extent of my knowledge. She's going strait crusader so any build advice would be helpful.

Cicciograna
2014-05-01, 09:44 AM
Add a sprinkle of Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) for a nasty lockdown build.

Morbis Meh
2014-05-01, 09:59 AM
Improved trip is always a good way to go, find a way for her to stay enlarged or just be enlarged so she can use knockdown. Knockdown (http://dndtools.eu/feats/deities-and-demigods--39/knock-down--1725/) allows for a trip attempt after dealing 10 dmg thus you get to attack, trip then attack again if you successfully trip. Standstill is also a good way to achieve a lock down build.

Urpriest
2014-05-01, 10:09 AM
My wife is wanting to try something new and switch from cleric to crusader. I've never really gotten into TOB expect as a dip for sword sage for a rogue build. Crusaders intrigue me but I've no idea where to start other than a Glaive, thicket of blankets but that's the extent of my knowledge. She's going strait crusader so any build advice would be helpful.

I know this is a typo, but now I'm picturing a Linus Crusader build, refluffing some sort of combat cloak into a blanket...and it is glorious.

Red Fel
2014-05-01, 10:49 AM
As others have said, the standard fare is Thicket of Blades + Combat Reflexes + Stand Still + reach weapon to hold town a 10' radius and prevent anything from passing. If things get close to your squishies, switch to Iron Guard's Glare to reduce their effectiveness. Assuming you can get things to attack you, Robilar's Gambit is pretty helpful. If you can get any abilities that add an on-hit effect, that's a major bonus. And as others have observed, Improved Trip -> Knockdown makes your work a lot easier.

In effect, the combat looks like this:

When the battlefield is <Squishies> ===== <You> ===== <Baddies>
Thicket of Blades. Enemies passing through trigger AoOs (what Combat Reflexes is for). Stand Still means that you can choose to deal no damage, and instead stop them dead. Alternatively, Improved Trip + Knockdown means you can trip them, since you'll be dealing more than 10 damage on a hit.

When the battlefield is <Squishies> = <Baddies> = <You>
Iron Guard's Glare. Enemies take penalties to hit your squishies, and know it, so they'll come after you. Robilar's Gambit means they trigger AoOs when they hit you. Improved Trip + Knockdown means that when you take those AoOs, you trip them.

Make sense?