PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use Gestalt?

TheNervyOne
2014-05-01, 10:22 AM
Ok so here is why I do. I feel it helps fill out the character more then one class can. It seems not everyone holds that thought though.

Take a Bard//Rogue or a Bard//Barbarian

The two gestalts accent and inform one another.

The Bard//Rogue is the skill monkey focused, sneaky guy who is really good at running a con and getting you to believe his stories.

The Bard//Barbarian is the giant of a fellow who is singing about the battles he has had with his large axe against the wall throwing back tankards of mead.

Stuff like that are why I like and use the Gestalt. So do you guys do it for a different reason? If you use it for a different reason why?

weckar
2014-05-01, 10:30 AM
Lack of players to fill all roles, usually. It makes for some extremely odd characters when you do it out of need. (currently running a game with an Archivist // Scout and a Swashbuckler // Duskblade)

Socratov
2014-05-01, 10:32 AM
Simple: sometimes I want to play a bard, sometimes a Warlock, and once in a blue moon I want to play them both at once...and because more toys equals more fun.

sakuuya
2014-05-01, 10:37 AM
Gestalt characters are typically a good bit stronger than regular characters of their level, which allows for games with a high-power feel without actually requiring high levels.

Vortenger
2014-05-01, 11:03 AM
One of my groups has taken to partial gestalt, a variant on the tier system. It can help to decrease the disparity of options between some classes. For example: We had a Paladin//Healer, normally both T5 classes, but that character kept up well against the party druid and Eldritch Disciple. She never felt weak or overshadowed. We still mourn her loss.

Vhaidara
2014-05-01, 11:27 AM
My first ever DnD campaign was gestalt because we only had 2 players. In retrospect we should have run 2 characters each. I went with Monk//Wizard
(yeah, I know, shut up), and the other player went with War/Strength Cleric//Fighter. It ended badly.

TheNervyOne
2014-05-01, 11:51 AM
My preferred Melee is Factotum//Warblade always fun.

Manifester is normally Psion//Soulknife(PF) get Jedi feel.

Caster is normally Bard//Marshal (I dont favor a long range of spells)

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 11:58 AM
Gestalt characters are typically a good bit stronger than regular characters of their level, which allows for games with a high-power feel without actually requiring high levels.

Agreed. The other main reason for me is wanting to play a monster. Wizard//Factotum is nice, but just doesn't hold a candle to a (psionic) mindflayer warblade, phoenix warlock, or Tarrasque dragonfire adept (all current, proposed, or previous characters in a gestalt game I'm in).

Darkweave31
2014-05-01, 12:10 PM
My first ever DnD campaign was gestalt because we only had 2 players. In retrospect we should have run 2 characters each. I went with Monk//Wizard
(yeah, I know, shut up), and the other player went with War/Strength Cleric//Fighter. It ended badly.

Monk//Wizard is entirely valid. I feel they complement each other quite well. Monk is very defensive and passive by its nature so it doesn't get in the way of the wizard side's spells. At the same time it adds a nice amount of defenses to bolster the wizard, allowing her to use her spells elsewhere.

I enjoy gestalt for the interesting combinations of classes it brings to the table without players having to dance around with multiclassing feats and prestige classes. Rogue//cleric? PRAISE OLIDAMMARA!! Wizard//Ranger? Have fun being an arcane archer! Cloistered Cleric//Monk? Awesome! Soulknife//Psychic Warrior? Why yes, of course you can be a Jedi!

Vhaidara
2014-05-01, 12:26 PM
No, Monk//Wizard doesn't work. It is so totally MAD. Remember, the 2 dump stats on Monk are Int and Cha. Now it's only Cha.

Also, remember, this is my first character. I was trying to do stuff like Shocking Grasp into a punch for more damage. Basically, instead of a Wizard with Monk ability support, I was a Monk with support from Wizard.

Ikeren
2014-05-01, 12:30 PM
Usually for smaller parties (2-3), sometimes for flavour (I had a game where magic was returning and people could only be melee on their primary side, and full casters on their secondary side a 1/4th progression: So you were a Fighter12//Wizard 1/Abjurant Champion2 or whatever)

Darkweave31
2014-05-01, 12:34 PM
No, Monk//Wizard doesn't work. It is so totally MAD. Remember, the 2 dump stats on Monk are Int and Cha. Now it's only Cha.

Also, remember, this is my first character. I was trying to do stuff like Shocking Grasp into a punch for more damage. Basically, instead of a Wizard with Monk ability support, I was a Monk with support from Wizard.

MAD assumes you don't take the Kung Fu Genius feat. The second part speaks more of your personal playstyle than the combination itself.

Now I won't say it's the best wizard gestalt by any stretch, just serviceable.

Vhaidara
2014-05-01, 12:35 PM
First game. We didn't have anything beyond Core.

Necroticplague
2014-05-01, 12:41 PM
I like to use monsters for my characters. Losing HD to LA sucks, and RHD are only marginably more palatable.gestalt lets me shove all that crap to one side, and still have some actual class abilities. Like ecl9 sharn or ecl13 zern.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 12:42 PM

Actually, it's really not that bad. (Still not good) Carmendine Monk/Kung Fu Genius and not picking stunning fist removes Wisdom, spells like luminous armor make Dexterity non-essential, and you're left with the three stats any melee wizard needs. Fewer if you're only going monk for the defensive boosts. Sleeping Tiger gives a couple really nice feats for a Wizard too. Whatever you do get out before 13, though.

Edit:
Actually, I changed my mind. Core-only, it's one of the better options to gestalt with wizard, particularly if you count SRD as "core" and can get Sleeping Tiger feats. I can think of a lot of worse ways to spend your gestalt than bumping your HD up two sizes, gaining 4 skill points per level (and some decent class skills), and gaining two new good saves. Add to that Evasion, fast movement (which, unlike a normal monk, you can actually use), and slow fall, and it's pretty good.

weckar
2014-05-01, 12:46 PM
I like to use monsters for my characters. Losing HD to LA sucks, and RHD are only marginably more palatable.gestalt lets me shove all that crap to one side, and still have some actual class abilities. Like ecl9 sharn or ecl13 zern. Debatable. According to some discussions I have seen, LA applies to both sides of a gestalt.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-05-01, 12:48 PM
It's always easier to make specific builds, it's more fun than running 1 class, especially with dead levels, and it means that, as a DM, I can up the difficulty level and still expect my players to be able to handle it.

TheNervyOne
2014-05-01, 12:50 PM
Now how do you all run feats?

1 set of feats or do you run a set of feats for each side?

weckar
2014-05-01, 12:51 PM
One hit point pool, one skill point pool, one set of feats.

Necroticplague
2014-05-01, 12:51 PM
And don't forget invisible fist acf if your willing to lose evasion. Sure, your casting makes it somewhat redundant, but it can save you the spell slot with clever use. And at higher levels, similar for blink.

Darkweave31
2014-05-01, 12:56 PM
Now how do you all run feats?

1 set of feats or do you run a set of feats for each side?

I normally go for the pathfinder feat progression (one at each odd level). Gives a bit more for characters to play with, but doesn't get too silly.

TheNervyOne
2014-05-01, 12:58 PM
I have thought of maybe doing something different. Running two feat progressions but they are Class side specific so one side cannot benefit the other side directly so if your a Paladin//Oracle you cannot take Extra Lay on Hands under your Oracle side.

Thoughts?

Honest Tiefling
2014-05-01, 12:58 PM
Because my players are kinda bad at making balanced parties with all of the roles taken. I also perfer the heroes to be...Well, more heroes that are a cut above, so if they are willing to do the paperwork I'm willing to run it. Also really hard to make my favorite combo, the Skillmonkey//Mage without Gestalt. I imagine others have the same problem.

Necroticplague
2014-05-01, 01:06 PM
Debatable. According to some discussions I have seen, LA applies to both sides of a gestalt.

True, it does seem to be that way, since gestalt lets you pick two classes per level, and level adjustment increases your effective level. It's also house rules otherwise almost as commonly as multi class penalties are ignored.

TheNervyOne
2014-05-02, 07:24 AM
The Only reason I might use the dual feat progressions is because many builds are very feat extensive without throwing in the fact your other class may have feats that are somewhat required. Such as a Factotum needing Inspiration points, well you may also want a few feats like power attack, cleave, and other things on the Warblade half but with one progression of feats might find yourself just being a very mediocre Factotum and Warblade rather then a Good Warblade or Factotum alone.

weckar
2014-05-02, 08:43 AM
Thing is: you're not a warblade and a factotum. You're a warblade // factotum. There's a difference.

Vortenger
2014-05-02, 11:46 AM
I have thought of maybe doing something different. Running two feat progressions but they are Class side specific so one side cannot benefit the other side directly so if your a Paladin//Oracle you cannot take Extra Lay on Hands under your Oracle side.

Thoughts?

Crossover is a thing. Especially for casters. Metamagic feats could easily be argued to be 'on one side' but equally applicable if your other side is a caster as well. I'd be real cautious to opening this can of worms up because martials get far, far less out of it than the already stronger casters. Aside: Wouldn't that also further invalidate the fighter? He doesn't need any more nerfs, poor guy!

Edit: Factotum is T3 without the FoI feat. Its awesome, but hardly mandatory.

Gnaeus
2014-05-02, 12:10 PM
Lack of players to fill all roles, usually.

This. It allows us to play games with 2 or 3 players without feeling so cramped. We have been throwing in an aggressively unoptimized hireling or two, played by the players, just to even out action economy.

Illven
2014-05-02, 12:24 PM
I've always wanted to run/participate in a gestalt game where one side of the class was fluffed as a gift of power. Sorcerer, Favored soul, warlock, etc. And the other training classes. Like wizard, Archivist.

People who have talent, gift, and training.

Morrolan
2014-05-02, 02:17 PM
I've always liked the system guild wars 1 used for characters, being able to mix professions to create a nice combination. I used to think up names for combinations (warrior/monk = paladin or assassin/ranger = sniper etc). Titan quest uses the same principle.
Gestalt in D&D feels like the same idea as titan quest and guild wars have. It gives you the opportunity to mix and match and make a completely unique and interesting class combination for your character.

Furthermore it makes things that are normally not worth it less damaging to your character's power. As Necroticplague said, it allows you to shove all LA and RHD on one side and still have a viable character on all levels of play. Furthermore, it allows you to use interesting but normally weak classes on one side, and compensate for it on the other. I once played a gestalt necromancer with cleric levels (and prcs that increased cleric casting) on one side, and the death knight template and the very flavorful but weak horned harbinger prc on the other. It was a pretty awesome character ^^