PDA

View Full Version : V (The 1980s miniseries, not the gender-ambiguous mage)

Muz
2007-02-10, 09:52 PM
Okay, so I just finished watching V (just the mini-series and "The Final Battle"), after having missed it as a kid and deciding I wanted to see it finally. I'm still...gathering my thoughts, but did anyone else see this? What'd you all think? Does the end with (spoiler) the hybrid kid suddenly being able to absorbe the nuclear explosion sit right at the TOP of the list of worst deus ex machinae, or just somewhere in the top 20? I believe my exact words at that moment when she started getting all sparkly and glowing were, "...What the hell?" :smallbiggrin:

So, you know, discuss. :smallsmile:

FdL
2007-02-10, 10:21 PM
I was so into this at around 10, I think...What is "The Final Battle"?

TinSoldier
2007-02-10, 10:48 PM
I saw it when it originally came out and I loved it. But I was just a kid at the time and I don't remember it much now.

I remember how shocked I was to see Robert Englund go from sympathetic alien to Freddie Krueger, though.

Midnight Son
2007-02-11, 09:48 AM
Yeah, loved it as a young teen. I bet I'd hate it now, though. Some things are best left in the ol' dustbin of memory.

Muz
2007-02-11, 01:25 PM
Oh, yes, it's...Well, I've seen worse by far, but it's amusingly bad. 1980s bad. Every 80s cliché you can think of tossed in there, from the hair to the cheesy sax music for romantic scenes to the....um...well now I'm blanking. Why do the aliens always speak English and use Earth names even for each other in private?

And The Final Battle is the conclusion of the story, made a year after the first mini-series where the visitors show up.

soozenw
2007-02-13, 05:53 PM
not only do i own the whole miniseries (the beginning and the final battle), i also own the SERIES on dvd. i used to have the hugest crush on marc singer. but now when i look at him all i see are his nostrils.

but the camp! THE CAMP! oh it's great.

Ryujin
2007-02-14, 02:30 AM
There are easier ways to get water.

ray53208
2007-02-14, 04:57 AM
anyone read the worldwar series by turtledove? lizards attack earth in the middle of ww2. interesting read if your into alternate history. and i figure it runs along the line of reptile alien invaders just like V.

Muz
2007-02-14, 11:07 AM
I have--or at least I read the first half of the first book. (I even recently posted about it in the "Books that made your eyes bleed" thread. :smallsmile:

I was mainly disappointed that none of the major historical figures of the day seemed to be major characters in the book, and that the lizards can master interstellar travel/conquering without more than 1990s technology. I like camp in my movies, but not in my books. (Well, okay, so I will admit to having read the Doom novelization for the sheer unadulterated cheese of it, but...)

Though I still want to know why hybrid girl could get all glowy. :smallsmile:

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-15, 02:40 PM
all I remember of that show is the face peeling I loved it as a kid but don't remember enough to say how good it was.

TheThan
2007-02-15, 02:54 PM
I saw it when I was a kid, but I don’t recall a whole lot. All I really remember was the visitors wore red and black jumpsuits, and ate mice. Oh and I seem to remember a Mexican guy smuggling the main characters into Mexico, he bit into a huge onion to get the guards to leave them alone.

TheEmerged
2007-02-15, 08:21 PM
RE: Turtledove's WorldWar Seires. Books 1, 2, and 4 are good. Book 3 was a pointless effort to stretch it to a 4-book series. The followup series is... pathetic, and this is coming from someone with a Turtledove rack on his bookshelf.

V. Oh, the cliches. Enjoyable fluff that kept thinking it was more serious than it was. I'm told the actual series stunk badly.

soozenw
2007-02-17, 10:41 AM
yes the actual series was terrible, but it was kinda entertaining in the beginning. but then they knew they were going to be cancelled and they just gave up, i think. they focused way too much on the stupid star child instead of the actual interesting characters that were on the show.

CharlieRock
2007-02-17, 10:46 AM
Freddy Kruegar as a nebbish alien! :smallsmile: