PDA

View Full Version : Re-statting Solos/Elites to MM3

Epinephrine
2014-05-01, 11:31 AM
I wrote in to a "stat my monster" thread a while back, looking for input/help with building a solo, but I am now approaching the sessions where we get the first look at this enemy.

The enemy I would like to update is Dispater, Lord of the Second. His aspect appears in this chapter, as an Elite. The party I DM is very strong on control, with multiple dazes/stuns/dominates, which tends to make any older solos pretty much useless (and elites tend not to have any protection against these effects, either). Enemies pretty much end up prone, dazed, slid around, etc. Pretty much every foe is ending up attacking from prone with a single standard action, since if one daze misses, the next player will try to land one.

Scenario:
In the story, the PCs go to rescue a Githyanki to get support of a separatist group in the Githyanki home. When they go to rescue her, they find her trapped in a column of fire, being questioned by an angel of Tiamat and by an Aspect of Dispater (both elites). The entrance to the room is guarded by a pair of devils, but the real meat of the encounter are the two elites.

This is the first time they will be facing what is essentially the aspect of a god-like being; it shouldn't be easy. I forget the exact stats given for the two elites (call them level 22?), but the party will likely be level 20 by this time, and tend to hit a couple of levels higher; a pair of level 22 Elites are a speed bump to them, typically. Moreover, it's hard to explain how these two level 22 Elites have managed to capture Vlaakith, as she is a level 25 Solo (though I may have to boost her by a level, too - she should be well out of striking range of the heroes, mopping the floor with them if they decide to try to attack her).

Dispater is a very cautious type, and is described as always having a plan, and a backup plan; he seldom leaves his iron tower, and it would be perfectly acceptable for me to have him flee (discorporate, whatever) rather than lose his aspect.

What protections would you put into place to make an Elite a substantial challenge? Should I instead write him as a solo who flees partway through (by bloodied state)? What types of power suit Dispater? He is paranoid, and values stability.

Things I'm thinking of:
Shedding conditions well: Either saves against stuns/dazes at the start of his turn or a Juggernaut-like ability to take damage to end an effect.
Immunities: Outright not being affected by dominate. Possibly by Charms. Having the PCs dominate the Lord of the Second would be a bit much, even if it's just his aspect.
To capture his paranoid/always prepared nature, I was thinking he should have an interrupt. Maybe give him a dominating power (say, a dominate with a slide), and the interrupt has him interpose the dominated character (like a cavern choker does with grabbed targets). Making this seem to be from the dominated creature, it could work even while Dispater is dazed (give him a trait allowing him to use immediate actions when dazed or stunned).

To be clever about using his dominated target, I might have it ready an action to attack the next ally to attack Dispater (he'd rather have a protector than send his thrall on the offense).

Does this sound reasonable? Would you stat him as an Elite? Elites go down very fast, and I worry it wouldn't make enough of an impression.
What other powers suit him? He's famous for wielding his Iron Rod, but other than smacking people with it I'm not sure what he does.

Thanks!

Composer99
2014-05-01, 02:08 PM
I don't recall if 1st edition AD&D gave Dispater's iron rod any special abilities; in the 3.X Book of Vile Darkness it's just a +6 mace.

So I would say here's your chance to give it some oomph!

(The BVD states that Dispater's attacks with his hand - not the Iron Rod - can turn flesh to iron, similar to petrification or corrode metal. Maybe give those abilities to the Rod?)