PDA

View Full Version : Building Gestalt

ivanbin
2014-05-01, 02:41 PM
Looking for help making a gestalt build starting at lvl 7 (for a PvP arena game, just for the fun of it)
The GM set some interesting rules, where everyone has 7 "points" and spends them to get things for the character.
1 point gets you a class, PrC or template that doesnt have casting. Can also take away 2 LA for one point (like insta-buyoff)
2 points get you class, PrC or template that advances casting (casting means up to lvl 9 spell. So a paladin is 1 point)

So the basic idea is: cant dip every other level, and have a bajillion different PrCs and templates.

Looking for some general suggestions (where to look), in order to build something very strong, but not anything that has infinite loops and the like.
Also, the GM banned some of the more OP PrC's like Urpriest, Shepard, Thrallherd and beholder. And he apparently hates BoVD, Fiend folios, Fiend Codex and dragon mag. I am specifically sad about the BoVD, but oh well...

weckar
2014-05-01, 02:50 PM
You probably want to look for some shutdown strategies to being with. Will the character have prep time before the arena fight?

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-01, 02:53 PM
Do you want to build a mind flayer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/illithid-savant/)? It doesn't have to be a mind flayer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/beholder-mage/).

ivanbin
2014-05-01, 02:55 PM
I dont mind being Illithid, but beholder mage is banned.

As for prep time, I think GM gives everyone 1 round of prep time in combat, but before combat you dont know who you fight so...

weckar
2014-05-01, 03:00 PM
I'm just thinking, with enough time before a fight (even not knowing who they fight) certain non casters can effectively turn themselves into casters with alchemical items or by item crafting.

ivanbin
2014-05-01, 03:03 PM
With wealth appropriate WBL? Not so much.

dextercorvia
2014-05-01, 03:05 PM
Is that 7 points per level?

ivanbin
2014-05-01, 03:17 PM
Basically this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=228001) is what the rules say.

The "points" are used to "enter" classes and PrC's, take templates and the like.
Costs 1 of the points to start progressing in a class (or PrC) that DOESNT have magic up to 9th level.
Costs 2 if said class has magic up to 9th, or if PrC progresses casting

Basically looking for something that would be good (and I mean very, very good) in 1v1, starts being effective by lvl 7, and doesnt require too many dips.

weckar
2014-05-01, 03:23 PM
From those rules, I think it'd be best to pick one martial class on each side (an active an a passive) and stick with them; taking a +5 to AC, attack rolls and saves, or take 3 monstrous HD on one side (or full monstrous HD, LA on one side as long as you have at least 3+LA mHD more than LA) to get a +10.

EDIT: In other words: Minimize points spent, Maximize effective HD.

ivanbin
2014-05-01, 03:32 PM
Well, here's a monster one of the players made: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=841633

That thing is scaaaaaaaaaaaaary

ivanbin
2014-05-01, 08:21 PM
Anyone? :-(

dextercorvia
2014-05-01, 09:24 PM
It's an arena match. It wouldn't be much fun to have us build your character for you.

Zweisteine
2014-05-01, 10:12 PM
If you are using every rule unthe post you linked to, Divine Rank seems pretty good. If you can somehow combine it with the ability to never fall unconscious, you win. That'd probably be banned.

I would recommend the Warblade class. Maybe take it exclusively on one side for the extra point. Not sure what else to use.

EDIT: I recommend, on the other side, being a Wizard, or possibly a Wu Jen. Pick up polymorph and two caster level boosters (the feat Minor Shapeshifter works as one), and turn into a cave troll.
Better yet, be a Kobold Warblade//Sorcerer, pick up the Greter Rite of Passage, and do the same.

Being less reasonable, try some of these:
Ask if you can use 4 points to remove the level adjustment of a template that didn't have one originally. Then be a paragon creature. If you want extra points, lower your point buy to 30.

Other good options:
Active class*//passive class** is always ideal in Gestalt.
*I recommend Warblade, Wizard, Kobold Sorcerer, Cleric, or Druid.
**I recommend Binder, Incarnate, Totemist, or Cleric (much harder to make passive without prep time, though).