PDA

View Full Version : Injury Rules

Blackhawk748
2014-05-01, 05:15 PM
I came up with this idea from a thread discussing the fact that no one uses the spell regenerate, except in rather specific circumstances. The idea is this: Every time you lose 1/4 your total HP (rounded up of course) you get an injury, usually a -2 on several skills, -2 on attacks for the arms, -10ft movement for legs, not sure what for the head, maybe 20% chance of losing your turn? If you get 3 injuries on the same location its permanently damaged and requires a Regenerate spell. I was thinking that you could remove an Injury with a cure spell cast specifically for that purpose.

HighWater
2014-05-01, 05:26 PM
Three things, all big problems:

- Regeneration is really, really, really, really expensive, being such a high level spell. Are these maiming rules randomly gonna kick in at a high level when characters can afford them?
- This will hurt PCs much more than their enemies, as enemies don't have to deal with the consequences of maiming (cause the PC's killed them). It also tips the game more towards chance and the already important who-goes-first.
- This will hurt mundanes much more than casters, as casters have a tendency to not get hitpoint damage, while the entire shtick of mundanes is to dish out hp damage and take it! Not only will mundanes get hit with the penalties more often, they will also care more as they more often have to roll skill checks (Rogue, Ranger) and melee attack rolls (any mundane). Casters can avoid rolling any attack rolls, if they want. Mundanes also need their movement speed much more than casters.

Duke of Urrel
2014-05-01, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't add maiming hazards to the game of D&D. There are a few already built in; for example, caltrops inflict a hobbling injury, and some traps cut off fingers. If you have a taste for gritty realism, I would advise creating a chance for some kind of disability or impairment if a creature is reduced to below zero Hit Points and survives, but I wouldn't go beyond that. HighWater has made some good points that I agree with.

When I'm the Dungeon Master, I give the Regenerate spell the special power to heal all nonlethal damage, regardless of its cause (nonlethal attack, exertion, hunger, thirst, or cold or heat). I also give it the power instantly to remove fatigue, exhaustion, or the fatigue effect of hunger, thirst, or cold or heat. These powers go above and beyond the RAW and are strictly my own house rules. I add them because I think the Regenerate spell is cool and deserves some more applicability.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-02, 01:23 PM
Good points i was mainly curious as to how viable it would be.

Duke, i love your additions to Regenerate, i may incorporate them.