PDA

View Full Version : Knocking the Religion into People

cbaidchris
2014-05-01, 08:55 PM
So I am currently playing a cleric in a campaign and I was looking for some tips on what to do. I took a feat from Bastards and Bloodlines (an allowed book at our table) that allows me to cast off any stat and I chose strength (hence the beating religion into people). I have a heavy flail and wear plate. I am currently level 8 and here's my build planned out as far as I have it.

Neutral Evil Cleric of Hextor (Half-Dragon Water Orc)

Cleric 5/Ordained Champion 5/Contemplative 10
Domains are War, Domination and Competition although the powers from domination and competition were traded.

Feats
1 Lost Tradition (Flaw)
1 Extend Spell
3 Persist Spell
6 DMM Persist
6 Combat Expertise
6 Improved Trip
9 Extra Turning
12 Power Attack
15 Practiced Spell caster

Stats
Str 36 buffed 16 base + 2 level + 4 orc + 8 half-dragon + 6 buff//con 22 (20 + 2 item) //dex 13//int 13 (11 + 2 item)//cha 14//wis 9

Basically I am looking for tips on changing feats or gear or even a change in build since I am not sure if contemplative is that great or if taking all 5 levels of ordained champion is advised. Even spell advice would be nice, I'm just looking for any help. Ahead of time, ToB is not allowed, nor is bone knight. I don't want too much shenanigans because I'm not trying to overshadow my party which is why i'm refraining from taking power attack until later levels. If it helps my party is a ranger/OoTBI, fighter/Mindblade, rogue, rogue, dread necro and me.

GilesTheCleric
2014-05-02, 02:56 PM
If your goal is to not outshine the party, I'd say that sticking to melee would be a good way to do that. As a cleric as soon as you hit 5th level, it becomes very easy to overshadow the party just by casting spells. But I'm getting some mixed messages here -- you want to improve your build, but also not outshine anyone.

I think the best way to make sure you're both able to contribute and also not step on any toes is to focus on buffing/debuffing/BFC. Otherwise, going down a pure melee route just conflicts with the rest of the party who all do HP damage.

Contemplative is best for a 1-lvl dip, since all of the immunities it grants can be obtained through items and spells. However, since you're a cleric, it doesn't really matter what PrCs you take, as long as you're keeping up on casting. Here's a few that might interest you: singer of concordance, divine disciple, divine oracle, mage-killer, and thaumaturgist.

In terms of items, you can always just get general things like flight, mind blank, true seeing, freedom of movement, etc, to save you a few spell slots. Nightsticks are clearly good. The mace of unlife's ability might be neat to put on your flail, as might the sword of crypts'.

For spell suggestions, follow the link in my sig.

In terms of feats, something like goad, stand still, combat panache, or divine might might work well with what you've got.