PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other weapon range

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-01, 10:02 PM
playing D&D with a large weapon, got me thinking there is no range on a weapon just your character's threat range. You would think if you had a weapon (besides ranged weapons) you would increase the threat range especially a very large weapon. What are your thoughts on this

Deaxsa
2014-05-01, 10:14 PM
i'm a little bit lost, maybe if you used more punctuation, it'd be easier to understand? could you word the question in a different way?

edit: also, are you referring to Critical threat range, the number needed to roll to confirm a crit, or range, as how distance affects a ranged weapon?

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-01, 10:41 PM
i mean the range needed to attack some one with a melee weapon, say a short sword vs a great sword. The same distance is need to attack some one about 5 ft. Now if you used something like nightmare's sword "soul edge" it would be about 6 feet long and you think you would gain at least a 3 foot distance to be able to attack someone, so instead of having to be 5 feet away from someone to be able to attack them you could be 8 feet away.

TuggyNE
2014-05-01, 11:42 PM
i mean the range needed to attack some one with a melee weapon, say a short sword vs a great sword. The same distance is need to attack some one about 5 ft. Now if you used something like nightmare's sword "soul edge" it would be about 6 feet long and you think you would gain at least a 3 foot distance to be able to attack someone, so instead of having to be 5 feet away from someone to be able to attack them you could be 8 feet away.

Don't call it range, call it reach, which the system actually uses.

And no, granular reach is not really worth trying to work out, because then you have to invent a whole new system of positioning and movement and preventing closing and exact advantages for different lengths and balances and by that point you're not playing D&D any longer, you're playing a lousy implementation of The Riddle of Steel. Just stick with 5' square abstractions.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-01, 11:48 PM

And no, granular reach is not really worth trying to work out, because then you have to invent a whole new system of positioning and movement and preventing closing and exact advantages for different lengths and balances and by that point you're not playing D&D any longer, you're playing a lousy implementation of The Riddle of Steel. Just stick with 5' square abstractions.

Okay thank you very much

Seerow
2014-05-01, 11:50 PM

That being said, I could see something like giving extra reach for wielding a larger weapon (ie via Monkey Grip, Strongarm Bracers, Powerful Build, etc). Because it's just silly when you have the guy wielding a large spiked chain that's a good 20-30ft long but still only be able to use it at a 10ft range.