PDA

View Full Version : DM Help My Little Throney - Winter is Magic

Captnq
2014-05-02, 12:10 AM
So I'm thinking of a one shot called...

My Little Throney - Winter is Magic.

Basically it's game of thrones, but using my little pony characters.

It's going to start out with a bunch of pony's at the The Wall as the wildings attack. Got some ideas for frost pony's and armies of cannibal pony's, but I'm not sure how to factor in the fact that some pony's can fly. Should I just not allow winged ponies, or should I allow them and simply suck it up that it's going to radically change the combat situation at the wall?

Any input is welcome.

Frogteam
2014-05-02, 02:58 AM
The abnormal winter conditions are too harsh for normal flight? At the very least you could just use it as an excuse to impose penalties, fly at half speed, or reduce your maneuverability one-two step(s)? A dark snowstorm has swept over the wall? Blame King Sombra?

Bronk
2014-05-02, 08:36 AM
Maybe you could take care of the movement problem by limiting all the characters to being earth ponies for warriors and unicorns for casters.

Will their cutey marks have any in game effect?

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-02, 08:48 AM
Maybe it just represents their class choices/plan?

Kane0
2014-05-02, 09:13 AM
I'm just here to say that the thread title you picked is absolute gold.

Captnq
2014-05-02, 10:29 PM
Will their cutey marks have any in game effect?

I was thinking of modifying the rules for dragon marks, actually. Funny you should mention it. It was one of those things I scribbled on a note pad while I was at work today.

Captnq
2014-05-02, 10:30 PM
I'm just here to say that the thread title you picked is absolute gold.

Why thank you.

Captnq
2014-05-02, 10:37 PM
Basic Pegasus-pony: Your fly speed is 30 feet (Poor manoeuvrability). You cannot go above an altitude of 10 feet, nor can you fly for more than one hour in a day.
Endurance Flight: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, the amount of time you can fly in one day doubles each time you take this feat, and your flight ceiling doubles. Note that due to the need for sleep, the practical limit on endurance flight is 16 hours in one day.
Faster Flight: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, Your fly speed increases by 30 feet and your maneuvrability improves by one step.

Now why didn't I think of that? Add a level requirement and we lock out long distance over land flight.
I was hoping to avoid level adjustments, which would have been my go to for discouraging fliers. Yes, that should work nicely.

As it stands It's going to be rather limited with mostly pre-made characters. This whole thing is sort of a theoretical/mental exercise/"I bet you can't DM [X] + [Y]"/Taking a break thing. I'm contemplating allowing players to make their own characters, but... they can be rather... optimizing.

To quote the leader, "Second place is first loser."

gorfnab
2014-05-02, 10:53 PM
Are you using Ponyfinder (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/125583/Ponyfinder--Campaign-Setting) by any chance?

Arbane
2014-05-03, 02:20 AM
The abnormal winter conditions are too harsh for normal flight?

Wing icing.