PDA

View Full Version : Adding DEX modifier to damage?

Tao Scientist
2007-02-10, 11:56 PM
Are there any "official" (published by WotC) feats or class features that allows you to add your DEX mod to damage?

Jack Mann
2007-02-11, 12:00 AM
Shadow Blade, from Tome of Battle. So long as you're in a Shadow Hand stance, you can get your dex modifier added to your attack damage.

Meet my swordsage, Mr. "Strength? I don't need no steenkin' strength!"

Zincorium
2007-02-11, 12:02 AM
Champion of Corellion Larethian, from Races of the wild, and the Shadow Hand feat from Tome of battle, as far as I know. Both are restrictive as far as what weapons you are allowed to add the bonus damage to, I'm not sure if there's any overlap.

Divides
2007-02-11, 12:11 AM
Wait... I thought the swashbuckler allowed this (as a "precision" bonus)...

Jack Mann
2007-02-11, 12:15 AM
No, swashbucklers get Int to damage, not Dex.

Thomas
2007-02-11, 12:38 AM
Champion of Corellion Larethian, from Races of the wild, and the Shadow Hand feat from Tome of battle, as far as I know. Both are restrictive as far as what weapons you are allowed to add the bonus damage to, I'm not sure if there's any overlap.

But the CoCL's weapon is the coolest so far... elven courtblade. Two-handed sword with 18-20/x2 criticals that can be used with Weapon Finesse.

Heck, they even kind of look like TESIV: Oblivion's elven weapons, with the curved one-edged blades...

Divides
2007-02-11, 12:47 AM
No, swashbucklers get Int to damage, not Dex.

Ok. For some reason I thought they got both.

A reason that most likely included not pausing to think about balance issues :-p.

The_Snark
2007-02-11, 12:48 AM
Crossbow Sniper from the PHBII will allow you to add half your Dex bonus to damage with crossbows, but it sounds like you're better off with Shadow Hand.

Jack Mann
2007-02-11, 12:54 AM
Yes. For one thing, you're not using a crossbow.

the_tick_rules
2007-02-11, 06:33 PM
there's a feat in star wars d20 that allows ya dex mod for meele weapons. i'm sure there's a feat somewhere in D&D for it

Zincorium
2007-02-12, 01:54 AM
there's a feat in star wars d20 that allows ya dex mod for meele weapons. i'm sure there's a feat somewhere in D&D for it

Well, there are two possible things you could be referring to: Weapon Finesse, which is in D&D already, but adds exactly zero to damage, dex or otherwise. Then there's Lightsaber form IV mastery, which is pretty nifty and adds up to twice your dex to damage with a lightsaber, but both has no equivalent in D&D and can't simply be ported over (the lack of Jedi and lightsabers being rather prohibitive).

There isn't anything else in any of the SW books I own.

Hurlbut
2007-02-12, 01:56 AM
Yes. For one thing, you're not using a crossbow.
But with the Crossbow Sniper, you apply it on every attack made with the crossbow.

Ramza00
2007-02-12, 01:58 AM
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=320889

Jack Mann
2007-02-12, 02:03 AM
You're still using a crossbow. And paid two feats to do so. Three, if you ever hope to get off a full attack.

Meanwhile, the guy who simply chose longbow is now several feats ahead of you in the chain.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-12, 04:31 AM
Maybe we could invent a new feat: Improved Weapon Finesse - by which, you get to add DEX modifier to damage as well as attack with finessable weapons.
If Weapon Finesse was required as a pre-requisite, it'd be fairly balanced, even while there are class features out there that have the same effect.

Just a thought.

Hurlbut
2007-02-12, 04:34 AM
You're still using a crossbow. And paid two feats to do so. Three, if you ever hope to get off a full attack.

Meanwhile, the guy who simply chose longbow is now several feats ahead of you in the chain. Only two feats for full attack and half Dexterity Bonus. To get any bonus on the longbow, you need a composite and for that you need a good strength score alongside Dexterity score. However that strength doesn't need to be high to compete with the crossbow sniper. :smallyuk:

Jack Mann
2007-02-12, 01:48 PM
Three. You need weapon focus to take crossbow sniper.

Hurlbut
2007-02-12, 06:35 PM
Three. You need weapon focus to take crossbow sniper.
And? It mean it get a +1 to attack rolls unless you account that whoever is taking the Longbow WILL also invest in Weapon Focus.

Jack Mann
2007-02-12, 06:40 PM
And it's a lousy feat. The guy with the longbow can take a better one, which is why he's three feats up on the crossbowman.

In essence, having to pay that many feats for half your dex mod to damage just isn't worth it.

Macrovore
2007-02-13, 11:45 AM
Crossbow Sniper from the PHBII will allow you to add half your Dex bonus to damage with crossbows, but it sounds like you're better off with Shadow Hand.
but Shadow Blade only works with shadow hand weapons (dagger, shortsword, siangham, sai, spiked chain, unarmed strike). the really cool thing about it is you can TWF with it without losing damage.

Person_Man
2007-02-13, 01:01 PM
The X to Y thread Ramza00 posted pretty much covers everything.

In general, the most optimal way to add damage from high Dex is by adding multiple Attacks of Opportunity. There are a variety of feats and class abilities that do this.