PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Potion/Scroll Alternatives

Deaxsa
2014-05-02, 01:42 PM
Right, so a little while ago, i was reading somewhere (i think the DMGII?) of ideas for different types of potions, such as a small, frail tile, that when shattered, bestows the benefits of the magic onto the shatterer. Then, a little later, i realized that mermen probably have wizards, and that parchment probably does not, in fact, do so well underwater (or ink, seeing as it has to dry.) So i began to think: what could we possibly use as scrolls or potions that would allow you to utilize scrolls, without using a sheet of parchment? Or a potion, without having to drink a liquid?

I'll start us off:
- A small pebble inscribed with a couple of significant runes, that when held and chanted over, releases the magic inside.
- A small tile, that when shattered, releases the magic inside.
- A very flammable bundle of leaves, which, when lit, realease any held magic in a small, smoky, flame.

Jormengand
2014-05-02, 01:44 PM
- A small tile, that when shattered, releases the magic inside.

Potion tiles already exist, in Complete Arcane. Truenamers love them, because they can rebuild them after breaking them, and keep snapping them.

Deaxsa
2014-05-02, 01:48 PM
Potion tiles already exist, in Complete Arcane. Truenamers love them, because they can rebuild them after breaking them, and keep snapping them.

...like.. like infinite bubble wrap? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? WE MUST ACQUIRE SOME!

also, yea, but i'm just posting any and all alternatives to conventional scrolls/potions

Veklim
2014-05-02, 04:42 PM
Well, there's the tattoo route that psionics take (but could just as easily be arcane), then there's bone runes, you could adapt the first idea of the goodberry spell to make small edibles instead of potions, seriously there are hundreds of possibilities. It's more a matter of flavour than anything else, I mean vellum would survive underwater for a fair time, and there already exists (somewhere) a waterproof ink for more traditional scrolls underwater. As long as the basics of spell level, material costs, mechanical effects, use time and crafting time are adhered to, the rest is basically just fluff you can flavour however you like.

Afgncaap5
2014-05-02, 07:24 PM
I'm a fan of fruit as being potion-like. I even made a magic item (http://craterlabs.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/magical-mondays-the-brewers-bonsai/) for people who want to "grow" fruit to act as replacements for potions (it works like a Quill of Scribing but for potions, basically. And by potions I mean fruit.)

Veklim
2014-05-03, 03:37 PM
I LOVE that bonsai item! It has already been given to a Dryad NPC I have in my current game (actually she has a grove full of them)!