PDA

View Full Version : Monk's Fast Movement

broderickdruce
2007-02-11, 01:39 AM
Short and to the point: Does a monk's enhancement bonus to speed apply to all forms of movement?

Fluff: Say I'm playing a Half-Ogre Half-Dragon Monk. Would the movement enhancement apply to his base land speed as well as his flight speed? A search on the Spoooooky Wizards FAQs only revealed an answer to this question when applying to the Barbarian version of fast movement which is VERY different (and, IMO states the answervery clearly in the wording). But nothing is ever mentioned about the monk version which leads me to believe it is up forcibly up to the DM (Instead of up to the DM just because he/she is the DM). Does anyone know of an official Wizard ruling on this or have an opinion?

Dhavaer
2007-02-11, 01:41 AM
Yes. If it didn't, it would specify that it applies to the base land speed.

Khantalas
2007-02-11, 02:19 PM
Though here's a funny thing, Stormwrack states that a monk may add his speed bonus to swim speed instead of his land speed, and raptoran monks are said to eventually walk faster than they fly.

Using these examples, I'm tempted to say no.

elwood j blues
2007-02-11, 02:46 PM
i would say it applies, especialy since in the PHB it specifically states "at third level, a monk gains an enchantment bonus to her speed". it doesnt specify any TYPE of speed, it just says speed. and there are many forms of speed. base land speed, swim speed, fly speed, burrowing speed.
however, i would be tempted to say that it shouldnt cus that may mean a monk with wings, but wings she can't use, could still fly, or a human monk at third level has a burrow and swim speed of 10... but since im a monk player most of the time, im just gonna sit back and reap the benefits.

Arceliar
2007-02-11, 02:55 PM
I'm almost certain I read somewhere that it applies to all types of speed.

However, it applies AFTER any multiplication. If a character flys at twice their land speed, and their land speed is 30ft, then their fly speed is 60ft. You add the bonus to the 60ft, not to the 30ft before you double it.

At least, if I'm not mistaken.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-11, 03:02 PM
Arceliar sums up the way I've always played it.

elwood j blues
2007-02-11, 03:10 PM
i disagree slightly with Arceliar. are you taking into acount climbing? so a huamn monk would have a climb speed of 30/4(which is a multiplication of 1/4), which, rounded up, is 10, then adds ten to that? so a human monk has a climb speed of 20 while the halfling rougue is stuck with 5?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-11, 03:24 PM
elwood: it is a little different with Climb. Unless you have a Climb speed you add your enhancement bonus to speed before dividing with 4.
If you have a natural climb speed you can add your enhancement bonus to that directly.

CLIMB (STR; ARMOR CHECK PENALTY)

Check: With a successful Climb check, you can advance up, down, or across a slope, a wall, or some other steep incline (or even a ceiling with handholds) at one-quarter your normal speed. ...
(My underlining)

elwood j blues
2007-02-11, 03:37 PM
thankyoufor clearing that up. sorry if a seemed a little hostile and arguementative, its just that ive spent six days trying to argue what you just said to my DM, and he STILL didnt apply it.

broderickdruce
2007-02-11, 03:45 PM
I'm almost certain I read somewhere that it applies to all types of speed.

However, it applies AFTER any multiplication. If a character flys at twice their land speed, and their land speed is 30ft, then their fly speed is 60ft. You add the bonus to the 60ft, not to the 30ft before you double it.

At least, if I'm not mistaken.

Thats how I've always seen it but it has never come up in one or our games before.

i would be tempted to say that it shouldnt cus that may mean a monk with wings, but wings she can't use, could still fly, or a human monk at third level has a burrow and swim speed of 10... but since im a monk player most of the time, im just gonna sit back and reap the benefits.

With this I have to disagree, it is an enhancement bonus applying the forms of movement you already have a speed for. If a monk has wings but cant actually fly then the wings are just decoration and does not give him Fly Speed 0'+Enhancement. To burrow, he doesnt have the claws to burrow. And to swim or climb you have to make a check to even move unless they have a racial (or magical) ability stating otherwise.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-11, 03:46 PM
For what it is worth: I do not think you seemed hostile.

Sometimes we all feel like rational thinking has left our fellow (human?) beings. Taking comfort in the fact that you are the Monk.

ken-do-nim
2007-02-11, 04:08 PM
It really only makes sense to apply the fast movement bonus to the monk's natural forms of movement. For instance, if my human monk drinks a potion of fly, I wouldn't expect her to be able to fly faster than any other human drinking the same potion.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-11, 04:17 PM
There, I also agree.

Arceliar
2007-02-11, 05:05 PM
Yeah, allowing the monk to add the speed bonus to temporary magic effects would probably be pushing it a bit too much.

Quietus
2007-02-11, 07:46 PM
In regard to the potion of fly - Definately. It should only apply to modes of transport you already have, since something like Fly isn't something you can naturally practice at and gain the benefits of your Monk training. Though in many ways, it almost seems like it should theoretically work with the Spider Climb spell... even if it wouldn't be consistent or fair.

JackMage666
2007-02-11, 10:30 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070102a

I'm gonna go with the guy paid by Wizards.

broderickdruce
2007-02-11, 11:21 PM
So would I, and only partly because it rules in favor of the player. Though this does technically contradict fluff text in 2 separate books as pointed out above. Yet another example of Spooooky's incontinuity.

Beleriphon
2007-02-12, 12:54 AM
So would I, and only partly because it rules in favor of the player. Though this does technically contradict fluff text in 2 separate books as pointed out above. Yet another example of Spooooky's incontinuity.

Specific rules trump fluff text. Always has, always will.