PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Small battle locations in the abyss

Kol Korran
2014-05-02, 02:31 PM
I there folks. In a coming session, during an exploration a demon infested building (Wrath of the Righteous pathfinder AP if that matters. I don't think it should) some PCs may be transferred to the Abyss by tiny rifts/ portals, fight there for 2-6 rounds, and then may return to the prime world by other small rifts/ portals. The building partly shifts to the abyss, to different locations in it.

I'm looking for ideas for small locals in the Abyss (This is in PF, but I imagine there isn't that much specific lore of the abyss as it is?). The locations should mostly prove "abyssial"/ different/ horrific, as well as prove as interesting battle ground for a few rounds. They should prove dangerous, but not overly deadly for 4th level characters. :smallwink: Some current thoughts:
- Wailing cliffs: The PC arrive on some narrow giant cliffs, which also functions as sort of prison cells for lost souls. While the party may fight minor jailor demons, the spirits might also claw or affect them through the bars...

- Flames of insanity: Some sort of a giant crucible, where souls are drained of their sanity- the heat can cause fire damage, but also wis damage perhaps. The lower you are in the crucible, the higher the DC, and all souls try to get out, while Demons at the top might shoot at "unwelcome" parties.

- Pillars of torment: The PCs arrive at some impossibly high pillar, amongst many such other pillars, at the top of which is but a single soul, and perhaps some flying demons who torment them. Strong theme of winds and the danger of falling down, perhaps even a constant nudging thought/ despair of "just jump..."

- The hive: Some sort of a huge cavern, with thousands of fiendish locust, some of which (or a swarm). Might attack the PCs. The high droning sound may affect the party also, though I can't think of how at the moment. The party might glimpse at new souls arriving and starting their transformation to the locust.

Other ideas?