PDA

View Full Version : Just Because You're (un)Dead Doesn't Mean You Can't do Good!

Xoroth
2014-05-02, 04:15 PM
The great desert of Shandoria, home to the empire of Shandoria. It's inhabitants live industrious and fruitful lives. Thanks to the magics of its founders the desert will not strike those it sees as its own.What's more, oases filled with to the brim with green bounty and an endless supply of clean water form the center every major city. Starvation and dehydration are rare conditions indeed. Supplies are plentiful and the kingdom has only prospered under the reign of Empress Lamia. Although she has brought her nation into war with others, the costs of war have not deeply touched the desert empire for thanks to the magics of her ancestors, Shandoria has never been successfully invaded. Yet, there is a dark underside to all things. Though conditions have only improved, to fund her war with bodies the laws have become much stricter. Informers have been more active than ever before. To help root out dissidents Lamia has established the Inquisitorial corps so as to root out traitors and dissidents. A good number of officials are corrupt, ever eager to advance in rank either through deed or by feeding opposition to the bloodthirsty Executioner corps. Shandoria has traded freedom for power and wealth. As such, rebellion is on the lips of the many disenfranchised who even now rally behind a so-called "Rebel Princess" seeking to overthrow her mother. Still, Empress Lamia has ruled for centuries and is unaging. Her highest enforcers are her heirs, each sired by some form of abomination or ruinous power so as to cement the power of her bloodline. The crown-prince Aetherion, son of the Empress and a being of pure annihilation from between folds of existence is even now pushing to conquer the land of the dragon council.

You are a group of undead who, due to unusual circumstances, are free to conduct your own destiny and have each chosen the path to good. As visitors and citizens of Shandoria you observe the people and judge, with your own will, what the future will be.

Xoroth
2014-05-02, 04:24 PM
So you meet at the gallows...

There is an execution happening and there's a celebrity appearance. Grand Executioner Davros himself is the appointed executioner. The gallows looks less a place for hanging than a stage reminiscent of a fighting ring but with no walls. The person to be executed looks like a scruff old man. He is currently tied to a post via thick iron chains. What do?

Vhaidara
2014-05-02, 04:33 PM
Adarine keeps his face covered, even here, where undead are accepted. He approaches the ring, knowing that the man is probably innocent, but unable to intervene. Perhaps, at the least, he could prevent the body from being used as another undead soldier.

dupersudi
2014-05-02, 05:17 PM
His true form concealed by a magic hat, Ramiel shakes his head as he witnesses the display. He turns towards an onlooker and asks, "Who is the old man and what did he do to deserve such a fate?"

DracoDei
2014-05-02, 06:49 PM
"A worthy question."

Silver Night
2014-05-02, 09:56 PM
Catseye

Catseye stands back, listening to the others speak. She is using her hat of disguise to appear as an unassuming (but living) woman of middle years.

TiaC
2014-05-03, 12:47 AM
Klaus has remained ethereal, from where he can observe the events. Hearing the question, he floats over to hear the answer.

Xoroth
2014-05-03, 04:59 AM
"He is Emilio Starshine: thief, terrorist, and foreign spy. It is said he was called in by the rebellion to sabotage our war effort." states a young woman. "Honestly, the likes of him are too good for Lord Davros but it is his show."

Before long, a man walks onto the stage. Across his back is a blade longer than he is tall. It is a strange thing with one edge long and straight which ends flat as opposed to tapering to a point. The blade is seemingly not made to stab. Its other edge is covered entirely in layered metal plates, each inscribed tastefully with runes that you cannot immediately recognize. The sword seems to pull at you, as though it is trying to swallow you whole.

The man, presumably Davros, speaks. "Emilio Starshine, the empire of Shandoria has found you guilty by a trial of your peers. Though your guilt is clear will you still not repent? By admitting wrongdoing you will be given a lighter sentence."

"I refuse!" spits Emilio in a gruff voice. "I will never denounce the fight for freedom and justice to save my own hide!" His eyes grown wide with fury.

"Then I ask you one last time. How do you plead?"

"Not Guilty!"

"Then by the power invested in me by her Empress Lamia I, as you are a foreigner, I sentence you to death by brutal combat with me, Grand Executioner Davros Filledheart. Take heart. If you should win you will be pardoned and may even take my office. Never let it be said that Shandoria is not fair. The strong rise while the weak fall."

Davros draws his blade and swings lightly with his blade. The chains holding Emilio are cut in an line parallel to the slash. "Guards, bring him his weapons and armor. I trust he has been well taken care of?"

"Aye, Lord!" comes the response as several armored soldiers appear. Each bearing weapons and gear that in turn laid at Emilio's feet.

Before long, the two stand across from each other at opposite end of the stage. What do?

Vhaidara
2014-05-03, 06:05 AM
Adarine clutches his fists. The fact that this place was where his kind were accepted must be why they were not accepted anywhere else. He longed to interfere and stop this foolishness, but no doubt the crowd would be against him, and the man would die, and he would be ended.

dupersudi
2014-05-03, 01:07 PM
Ramiel watches in silence. A crude sentence, but the laws seem fair enough. If his Deity decides he is just and protects him, he will win.

Italics indicate thought
Also, using detect evil on this Davros fellow.

Xoroth
2014-05-03, 01:36 PM
An aura of intense evil surrounds the man. Strangely enough it seems to come less from him and more from the sword. The sword's aura is so great that it encompasses the entire stage and crowd.

DracoDei
2014-05-03, 05:47 PM
Sinus is not quick to analyze situations. He feels outnumbered by the crowd*, and, while he would strongly consider rescuing this person, it would take a plan, and he didn't come here with a plan.

*((Note: The crowd, not the PCs.))

Silver Night
2014-05-04, 01:41 AM
Catseye

Catseye makes her way to the inner edge of the crowd, so she will be close if action becomes useful or necessary.

Xoroth
2014-05-04, 04:13 PM
Emilio pulls out a shimmering blade. It is reminiscent of a helix that twists into a point. He then disappears, reappearing behind Davros who turns just in time to be stabbed in the heart. The blade strikes his chest but doesn't seem to penetrate. Emilio's eyes widen with shock.

"Hmm, and I thought you'd be a tastier morsel than that. Oh well, a meal is a meal." With a large, swift swing Davros plants the bladed edge of his weapon into the chest of his opponent. Rather than merely being cut in half, Emilio's body seems to explode into two sprays of gore that rain down upon the stage and crowd. His head and legs tumble to the stage. Leaning down, Davros picks up Emilio's weapon and walks away while muttering " ... souvenir..."

"All members of the audience are entitled to one free bath token! Please line up single-file in an orderly fashion. Thank you!" Yells a guard. What do?

Vhaidara
2014-05-04, 04:34 PM
That man is truly evil. And it appears to be by choice, rather than nature. May the Light show him the error of his ways.
At least without a body, they could not make the rebel suffer eternally. Adarine turns from the scene, his hunger rising, and begins to walk away.

TiaC
2014-05-04, 05:27 PM
Klaus shakes his head and begins to brainstorm a poem about the execution.

He then fades into the material plane and looks around.

Silver Night
2014-05-05, 01:26 AM
Catseye

Catseye shies back as the blood and gore splashes. She begins to drift in teh general direction that the executioner went, if nothing else is happening.

dupersudi
2014-05-05, 09:06 AM
Ramiel observes the old man falling, and intones a brief prayer in Elvish. He then follows the executioner away from the gallows.

Xoroth
2014-05-05, 02:04 PM
Davros moves through a series of back alleys. His stroll is casual and unconcerned. Tracking him is easy due to the blood trail his sword leaves behind. What do?

Vhaidara
2014-05-05, 02:13 PM
Adarine notices the man following Davros.
That might turn ugly.
He decides to go in case he can head off a fight.

DracoDei
2014-05-05, 03:35 PM
"I must confess a certain morbid curiosity for what such a man as our executioner does in his spare time between messily killing people... would anyone care to follow me for a bit of a stroll?" (EDIT after reading OOC thread: Sinus walks over to/quietly institutes or participates in the gathering up of anyone looking both unhappy, rather than merely disgusted, and formidable appearing.)

I think this is a DC 15 bluff check to pass a secret message, plus more for complex stuff??
[roll0]
"Let's follow him to at least scout things out to see if assassination might later be an option... or if he gets careless on his way to where-ever he is going."

TiaC
2014-05-05, 06:52 PM
"I will join you, he seems an interesting man. I'd like to ask him some questions." Klaus flips open a pad of paper and pulls out a pencil. He then floats off after the others.

Silver Night
2014-05-05, 09:05 PM
Catseye

Catseye nods in agreement if approached. She follows as unobtrusively as possible.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Xoroth
2014-05-05, 10:47 PM
Davros makes his way to a large open building sitting next what looks like a barracks. It is 3 stories tall and bottom floor is filled with what looks like a forge and an open air lounge. Two men in heavy smocks stand at an anvil. One is hammering a glowing piece of metal while the other chants and waves what looks like a vial of dark liquid over the heated shape. Davros sits down in a heavily upholstered, high-backed chair. Removing a small dark box from his coat pocket, he sets it down.

Before long, music begins to emanate from the box and Davros begins to polish his newly acquired trophy. The song is in a language you have never heard before. It sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y

DracoDei
2014-05-05, 10:58 PM
Sinus had Flat Cat deflate and go under his shirt for the trip.

Now he assesses the situation.
"I'm not student of artificery, but that looks like it could be such work. Best not to disturb such important people at their work. If we wish an interview, mayhaps best to wait for a more private moment." says Sinus softly.

Vhaidara
2014-05-05, 11:07 PM
Adarine stares at the box.
This reeks of truly dark magic.

Alright, these are to try and ID what is going on.
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes): [roll2]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll3] (No, I don't expect this to give me anything)
Spellcraft: [roll4]

TiaC
2014-05-05, 11:09 PM
Klaus sticks his head in the door, "Excuse me sir, but I couldn't help hearing your music. It is a beautiful song, may I ask what it's called and where I might find a copy?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Xoroth
2014-05-05, 11:32 PM
You recognize no spells but your study of the Arcane mysteries of this world included Ancient artifacts. The idiosyncratic and simple design is a hallmark of their devices. All you can tell is that it plays music.

Davros peers at you for a few moments.

"It's called 'Ave Maria'. As for a copy well I don't think they are readily available. You might find a bard who knows it. What business do you have with me? I can't imagine that you followed me all the way to my office just for a bit of music."

TiaC
2014-05-05, 11:55 PM
"I'll check in at the conservatory to see if anyone knows it. As to your question, I am a bard myself, and you have a certain undeniable panache to you. I mean, really, that could have been a scene from a play. I was hoping that you could spare a bit of time if you aren't too busy to share some of your stories, as I think that they would go over quite well."

He places pencil to pad and looks at Davros expectantly.

Xoroth
2014-05-06, 02:32 AM
"Well, no ones ever come for a biographical but what the heck." He says with a smile. "I've been Grand Executioner for about 300 years now. I began my career as a lowly soldier and worked my way to captain. Decided the army wasn't for me so I hopped into the executioner's corp. It took a few decades but I through hundreds of battles I ended up where I am now. My favorite fight was the one I had with Camarina the Desert Lily. Now I'm guessing you're a foreigner so you don't know too much about the history of Shandoria so let me give you the goods. Camarina was one the Great Swords of the Sands, a collection of the deadliest blade wielders in all the land. One night, during a rebellion, it comes out that Camarina had turned traitor and thus it was up to me as Grand Executioner to administer justice. The Empress herself gave me the order and in the midst of a huge riot I tracked her down and cut her up. Probably the closest I've come to dying since I took this post. Camarina had a powerful blade called the Tempester that could create storms of wind blades. Crazy stuff. We fought long and hard but I surprised her by throwing my sword and took the win! Of course, I took the Temperster as a trophy and it's one of my proudest ones." Before continuing, he grimaces "Unfortunately, the Empress didn't see fit to make me one of the Swords to replace her and Camarina's rival took over instead. Ah well, maybe next time..."

"Anyway, that's enough for now! Be on your way friend. I got business to take care of."

dupersudi
2014-05-06, 02:51 PM
Ramiel walks up to Davros. "Excuse me sir, but your blade seems to emanate an evil presence. I would recommend destroying such a thing" Ramiel stands easily, but says it with a firm tone.

Vhaidara
2014-05-06, 02:59 PM
Adarine continues to watch from a distance.

DracoDei
2014-05-06, 03:20 PM
Sinus's eyes go wide, and he turns around and dashes for the nearest cover that is complete enough to totally obstruct view of him, and is at least 40' away from the executioner and his compatriots.

Following actions in nested sequence, until and unless I see or hear something that would make me want to change these.
Silent Invisibility on Flat-Cat. Duration is 1 hour, due to Cloak Familiar class feature. If possible, I'd like Flat-Cat to react to our Empathic Link by making sure that when he is removed and inflates that all his equipment will be in place.
Remove Flat Cat from shirt, with both of us taking care that none of his equipment (Mithril Chain Shirt, Vest of Resistance +2, and Boots of Elven-kind) has fallen off.

Sinus:SLA Scry on Flat-Cat via Spotter class feature.
Flat-Cat: Inflate, again being careful to make sure equipment stays in place.
Sinus: None
Flat-Cat: Peek out from behind cover.
Hide (in case the badguys can see invisible stuff) [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

TiaC
2014-05-06, 05:32 PM
Upon Davros's dismissal, Klaus begins to head for the door, fading into the ethereal as he does so.

Xoroth
2014-05-07, 04:18 AM
"Evil? What does evil matter to me. This was a gift from the empress herself. Crafted for my promotion to Grand Executioner. Before the law of the Empress, good and evil mean nothing. I am the hand of judgement; the sword the empire swings, the noose around the throats of criminals. If I must be an evil blade, so be it. Well, that's what I should be saying but really, I don't give a ****. This sword helps me do what I love doing. Which, if you didn't know, is fighting strong opponents. I've yet to be hindered by it so really, it doesn't matter. All I seek is blood and glory. I'll use whatever I need to get it." Remarks Davros with a wicked grin. "If you want to fight me for it, you're more than welcome to."

DracoDei
2014-05-07, 01:36 PM
Sinus observes the situation via his magic, and ((If possible)) starts to inch away from Flat-Cat, further into Cover.
5' step per round I guess? Maximum distance: 30'. Don't know if I'm in an alley, or just crouching behind a sturdy* merchant's stall.

I DID say "Cover" not "Concealment".

dupersudi
2014-05-07, 07:13 PM
Ramiel's magical face frowns in disappointment. "No sir, I would not wish to fight you for an evil artifact, you yourself are not evil. And have broken no laws. I would advise that you keep my warning in mind, and you should ask yourself what this sword is costing you. Magic rarely comes without a... price to pay." Having said that he shuffles slightly.

TiaC
2014-05-08, 01:23 AM
Klaus looks around, seeing some of the others. He fades in next to Adarine and says "Well, that was a fine diversion, but ultimately rather pointless. May I ask why all of you chose to follow him?"

Vhaidara
2014-05-08, 06:17 AM
Adarine doesn't seem overly surprised by the ghost's appearance
I have no desire to see anyone hurt, and that man looked reckless. I hoped to be able to stop any violence if it started.

Silver Night
2014-05-08, 06:18 PM
Catseye

Catseye stays in her alley and observes.

DracoDei
2014-05-09, 05:28 PM
Sinus gathers up Flat-Cat and carefully returns him (still invisible) to the inside of his shirt.

As soon as Ramiel is reasonable distance past Sinus's hiding place, Sinus walks calmly after him.
Spot, to be able to follow at a larger distance, rather than a smaller one. [roll0]
Bluff to act casual about it, and like he isn't interested in the others any more. [roll1]

dupersudi
2014-05-10, 07:42 PM
Ramiel walks away from Davros slowly. Noticing Sinus following him he surreptitiously activates his detects evil ability, aiming at Sinus while he walks a few blocks away. After he rounds a corner in an alleyway he turns and confronts Sinus. "You were at the execution. Why do you follow me now?"

ROLLS

Okay, so I'm going to roll SPOT now to see if I can see/notice Sinus following me. I'll edit my post according to the roll.
[roll0]

GOOD ROLL!

DracoDei
2014-05-10, 08:07 PM
"Because I think we may share certain interests. For instance, I think we both have an interest in the executioner that is reigned in only by our perfectly justified fear of him."

dupersudi
2014-05-10, 08:33 PM
Ramiel scoffs as Sinus mentions fear. "I do not fear this Davros, I am concerned about his weapon. The thing has a palpable feeling of evil about it. Such things are known to be dangerous to their wielder, and he was not evil and deserved to be warned."

DracoDei
2014-05-10, 08:51 PM
"Ah, I see... I am corrected then. Evil weapon, wielder not so evil... or at least not yet. We should talk more of such things perhaps?"

Silver Night
2014-05-10, 09:11 PM
Catseye

Catseye sees the others gathering, away from the executioner, and goes to join them, "I see that you, also, had an interest in the sword and its wielder."

DracoDei
2014-05-10, 09:34 PM
"Had. Past tense I believe, at least for a good, long while. But that interest may speak of other interests that might be shared... I'd take a drink with you, but, well, women bad enough to drive their husbands to drink are not a terribly rare breed, but a wife at the same time so good and so terrible that their husband never wants for wine or beer ever again are quite a rarer breed. And that tale I'll tell if you will listen in full before making your judgements."

TiaC
2014-05-10, 11:23 PM
Klaus joins the others "Ah, so this is the point where we all stop hiding from each other? Allow me to introduce myself. I am Klaus Evenwood, and I choose to spend my unlife exploring this great world of ours. I would join you for a drink but, well, I'm sure you can see the problem. I will hear your tale, for it sounds quite a worthy one."

Vhaidara
2014-05-10, 11:38 PM
Adarine also steps forward to join the others and addresses Ramiel.
You are a reckless one. I doubt that you would have stood much more of a chance than the prisoner, should the executioner have taken offense to your comment. Don't dismiss fear. It is a good instinct to have, as long as you can control it.

DracoDei
2014-05-10, 11:56 PM
"Not to mention that I suspect some of the smiths in that room may have been spellcasters, or at least acquainted with alchemy. Spellcasters, especially those with skill enough to lay enchantments on a blade are not to be trifled with, and I did try to warn you subtly of that at the time. I could easily be mistaken about the capabilities of those individuals however."

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 01:22 AM
Catseye

It was not an opportune time, certainly. And all of us here have, I think, enough time to be patient. Not so?

dupersudi
2014-05-11, 11:13 AM
"Why would I have been in danger? I had no wish to harm the man, merely inform him of the possible danger his weapon posed. He was not evil, he was a member of the local judiciary, and I broke no law. Besides, I am quite capable of handling danger should it come to it." He gestures to the greatsword upon his back. "Now then, I suppose politeness dictates that I should introduce myself, I am Ramiel Paladin of Raziel."

DETECT EVIL ON EVERYONE!!!! :smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2014-05-11, 11:17 AM
I call myself Adarine the Nameless. Servant of Amaunator, the Sun Father. And I do not doubt your competency, but sometimes discretion must be exercised.

EDIT: Adarine does not register as evil.

DracoDei
2014-05-11, 11:23 AM
"An evil man might take offense to such a warning as you gave him, and a thirst for killing can become an addiction as strong as any drink. I mistrust these times.

As for my name, it is Sinus Ripley. I've talents of my own, but they are not so simple to describe."
Not Evil by alignment, but the chart for Detect Evil COULD be read that way since that row is the only one that DOESN'T have the word "Evil" in it. I rather suspect that none of us detect as Evil though.

Silver Night
2014-05-11, 01:21 PM
Catseye

I am Catseye, a warrior of the Conclave.

Not evil.

Xoroth
2014-05-12, 02:30 AM
With their lack of evil seemingly confirmed and general amicable behavior it seems like a good time to relax. There are many things a visitor can do in Shandoria and it is up to you where you'll go next. Does your heart yearn for adventure, justice, or company?

TiaC
2014-05-12, 03:49 AM
"Some years ago, I would have suggested we head to the tavern, but I do not know if any of us could benefit from that anymore. Shall we find something a little more exciting?"
Not evil.

DracoDei
2014-05-12, 12:10 PM
"What sort of excitement would you suggest?" asks Sinus, looking a little confused.

Silver Night
2014-05-12, 08:48 PM
A chance to exercise my art would be welcome.

Vhaidara
2014-05-12, 10:41 PM
Adarine looks at Klaus.
What do you have in mind?

And upon further examination (as explained in the OoC thread) the entire party, including Ramiel, registers strongly evil. Because Undead.

TiaC
2014-05-13, 02:16 AM
"Ah, there's the issue, deeds of valor are so hard to find these days. It used to be you couldn't step foot out your door without running into a ravening beast or a kidnapping. However, with the persistent unrest in this land, there must be something if we were to only look for a moment. Perhaps it will be spies or treason, or maybe dealings of the underworld that refuse to stay in the shadows, or even the wild inhabitants of the desert!"

Moderate Evil, actually. Strong won't kick in for 2 more HD.

dupersudi
2014-05-13, 09:54 PM
EVIL, I AM SURROUNDED BY EVIL! Ramiel thinks to himself. But they speak of deeds of valor? No they are attempting to deceive me, I will allow them to do so until I can them get away from innocents and destroy them without collateral damage. He turns towards the others. "As long as evil is vanquished I am willing to perform most any task." Thinking to himself. Including tolerating your evil presence.

OOC

Italics denotes thoughts.
And I would like to say that you lot forced my hand what with sabotaging my evil sensor array with your undeadness. Lets see if we can avoid pvp.

Vhaidara
2014-05-13, 10:14 PM
It is better to redeem those who have fallen than to slay them. Unless you believe that some evil is beyond redemption?
The last part has the tone of a rather accusatory question.

dupersudi
2014-05-13, 10:44 PM
Ramiel's illusory brow furrows. "I do not pretend to know how to redeem evil. My sole purpose, my calling, in what remains life is its destruction. Should an evil one seek redemption, well, I know not how to aid them beyond pointing them towards a temple of the goodly gods. They do not usually come to me for redemption however."

Vhaidara
2014-05-13, 10:52 PM
Simple. You learn where their evil took root, and that is where you teach. And anyone can be saved, with enough patience.
Adarine pushes back his hood, revealing his bloodless, emaciated face.

dupersudi
2014-05-13, 11:06 PM
Ramiel's illusory eyes widen and he begins to reach for his greatsword. He grips the handle and then stops the motion, beginning to speak instead. "You are undead. You appear as evil in my eyes. All of you do. Are you all like him? Why would you approach me? Do you seek to ambush me? If you are evil why would you approach me? Why? It makes no sense!" He seems extremely confused and nervous.

Vhaidara
2014-05-13, 11:43 PM
I am undead, but I am not servant of evil. I do not know any of these who have joined us, but I came because one life has been lost already today. I would not have another lost.

TiaC
2014-05-13, 11:52 PM
"I would have thought my own appearance would have made my lack of breath obvious. As to why I approached you, we all chose to follow the executioner, I was curious as to all of our reasons. You have nothing to fear from me, for I am blessed by the grace of Lathander." He pulls aside his cloak to reveal his holy symbol. Klaus is a wispy, transparent figure mainly in shades of pale blue. He obviously does not touch the ground, and objects can be seen to pass through him. He appears amazed that this passed without notice.

Silver Night
2014-05-13, 11:57 PM
Catseye

"I do not know of the evil of which you speak. I, and my order, fight for what is right and good. We dedicate our lives - and beyond our lives - to perfecting our art, that good might triumph."

Vhaidara
2014-05-14, 12:06 AM
And I am a servant of Amaunator, as my body shows.
Adarine shifts his cloak to reveal the symbol of Amaunator branded across his chest.

DracoDei
2014-05-14, 11:49 AM
Sinus raises his goggles briefly, allowing the paladin to see that there is only a large hollow space behind them, skin, without bone, flesh, or blood, only air. The soulful blue eyes were only an illusion created by the goggles.

He lowers them again.

"Well, I tried to hint... break it to you easy like. My wife, may she burn less hotly than her crimes would otherwise deserve, did this to me out of love. Granted, it has its drawbacks, but, on the whole I find it was an improvement for me."

dupersudi
2014-05-18, 02:01 PM
"I, I hadn't realized. I thought undead were all evil, my senses told me so. I have been fighting against that for so long, trying to convince myself that I wasn't evil... That I was still me, despite being... afflicted." He lifts his hat slightly and all of his facial features vanish, leaving behind only a skull beneath his helmet. His armor loses some of its luster, suddenly looking ancient. He quickly places his hat back on. "Of course, I never stopped serving Raziel, but I questioned my own capacity at times. How could I? Something that is evil in the eyes of the gods, still serve good?"

Eyes of the gods refers to his detect evil ability, and sorry for the delay.

Xoroth
2014-05-18, 03:48 PM
Within your midst a masked individual suddenly appears! He kneels before you states that he is seeking willing participants for his master's quest. It involves bringing criminals to justice and a good deal of travel. How do you respond?

Vhaidara
2014-05-18, 03:50 PM
Adarine looks the man over.
What kind of criminals, and what kind of justice? If it is the justice that this land seems to favor, the kind delivered at the edge of a sword, I must refuse.

Silver Night
2014-05-18, 08:32 PM
Catseye

"That sounds like a worthy task."

DracoDei
2014-05-18, 10:35 PM
"I'm with him*Points to Adarine*If only because there are enough other people to take care of that sort of thing in general. However, if the job is more interesting than that, then I might be interested."
Bluff, because it isn't just the excess of personnel that puts me off of enforcing harsh justice. [roll0]

I just don't want to give myself away as objecting, since for all I know, anyone could be a police informant... want to feel things out first before I get direct rather than oblique.

TiaC
2014-05-20, 01:04 AM
"See, that's what I'm talking about. With a little effort, opportunity will just fall into your lap. Still, more information would be nice. I've found there is an abundance of options as to heroism and making a good choice is important." Klaus seems a little smug at being proved right.

dupersudi
2014-05-22, 11:10 AM
"It sounds like a noble deed, what more can you tell us of this matter?"

Xoroth
2014-05-22, 09:36 PM
"If you accept, it will involve travel and surveillance. Know that by accepting this task you will be doing a great service for this country. Please, my master will tell you more. Simply listen and then choose."

Vhaidara
2014-05-23, 07:55 AM
Very well, lead us to your master, masked stranger. Even if you are simply planning to rob us, I have nothing of value.
Adarine chuckles inwardly at his own little joke.

DracoDei
2014-05-23, 11:41 AM
"That sounds prudent. I'm better than useless at surveillance."

Silver Night
2014-05-23, 03:35 PM
Catseye

Lead on to your master.

Xoroth
2014-05-23, 07:37 PM
You are suddenly appear in another location. It is a well lit stone room filled with various braziers of different colors. A bent robed figure turns to you. It's face obscured, an elderly man's voice croaks forth as it states "welcome twavellers. I am Dwexis, necwomancer extwaordinaire. I seek aid on a gwave matter. The wogue pwincess appwoaches and I ask that you pwotect her and her companions. "

DracoDei
2014-05-24, 09:23 PM
"Rogue Princess? I'm confused." says Sinus, thrown mentally off balance by the sudden teleportation.

Vhaidara
2014-05-24, 09:34 PM
I agree with this man. I know nothing of a rogue princess.
Adarine bares his teeth under his hood as the man introduces himself as a necromancer.
This man toys with life itself. But my place is not to judge. I am to reconcile, not to condemn.

TiaC
2014-05-24, 11:33 PM
"Well, a rogue princess, you don't see that everyday! Also, awfully convenient, the whole teleportation thing, have to compliment you on that. Mind giving us a bit more detail old chap?" Klaus has a big grin as he looks around.

Xoroth
2014-05-26, 04:26 PM
"The Wogue Pwincess, the youngest child of the Empwess. She has chosen to webel against the injustice of her mother and now seeks to change the system from within. Many commit acts of tewowism in her name but know that what she plans to do is invoke the wight to question the wule of the Empwess. I would pwefer it be fwom the shadows but it is not necessawy. To aid you in finding her I have found an adequate guide. So what say you? Are you pwepawed to be tewepowted to a far away wand and begin an astounding adventure to save evewybody?" Lisps out the robed old man.

dupersudi
2014-05-26, 07:31 PM
Ramiel focus' his divinely granted senses upon the Necromancer as he asks. "It seems strange for a necromancer to arrange aid for someone, what is your objective in this endeavor?"

Silver Night
2014-05-26, 11:44 PM
Catseye

"This seems totally legitimate. I'm in."

TiaC
2014-05-27, 12:54 AM
Klaus strikes a dramatic pose. "Valor! Glory! A chance to do good in this world! Now this is something I can get behind!"

Vhaidara
2014-05-28, 01:58 PM
Adarine chokes back his hatred of the necromancer enough to speak in a mostly civil tone.
Who is our guide? And what is your stake in this, misguided servant of darkness?
Okay, he slipped a bit at the end.

Xoroth
2014-05-30, 03:16 AM
"I was the tutow fow the pwincess. I too wish to see the justice she seeks. Your guide will be this man. His quest fow vengeance has dwiven him insane but with proper pwodding he will follow the scent." Drexis points to a humanoid figure covered in full plate and wrapped in chains. As it emerges from the shadows you can see that his helm is in the shape of a dragon's head and his pauldrons bore the shape of dragons' wings.

"His name is Dwaconis. He was a paladin in service to the Owder of the World Shaper. Do not mention squiwwels awound him else he might descend into full madness. Lucidity is fleeting with this one. He was once part of their pawty but as I said, he went insane."

Drexis hangs his head in shame and pity. He indicates one of you to grasp the chains holding Draconis.

TiaC
2014-05-30, 03:35 AM
"Well, that's different... What do squir— No, probably best not to think about it." Klaus looks bemused as he gingerly pokes at one of the chains. "Prodded how exactly?"

Xoroth
2014-05-30, 05:57 AM
"The chains possess a special enchantment of suggestion. Your jouwney begins in the town of Fishmonger. Hopefuwwy Dwaconis will find the twail. Good Wuck."

DracoDei
2014-05-30, 08:56 PM
"If he is a paladin true, and under no compulsion further than what you describe then... I shall at least hear out the situation. Aiding causes I'll reserve judgment on until I have more first-hand information." says Sinus.

Still suspicious this might be a trap. How do I know how often to roll bluff checks?

TiaC
2014-06-01, 04:40 AM
"Do you speak Sir Draconis? I admit to some discomfort in leading you like a beast which would be eased with your consent." Klaus is still a little unsettled. "I suppose I will not be leading you in any case, as I lack the planar status to do so."

Looking back to Drexis, he asks "Oh, and how are we to get to Fishmonger to begin our quest?"

Vhaidara
2014-06-01, 07:20 AM
Adarine looks at Ramiel.
So, noble paladin, do your eyes reveal anything about this man?

Xoroth
2014-06-01, 02:55 PM
Draconis merely growls. It is deep and primal. There is an echo to it speaks of something supernatural that brings to mind something large and powerful.
Roll knowledge arcana check to identify what is the kind of creature it could be.

"I will tewepowt you to Fishmonger. Do not wowwy about getting thewe. Be awawe that Fishmonger is cuwwently cewebwating its water pwincess festival and it is best if you do not tawwy. So, awe you weady?"

Silver Night
2014-06-01, 03:07 PM
Catseye

I am ready.

dupersudi
2014-06-01, 03:10 PM
"What is this water princess festival?"

Xoroth
2014-06-01, 03:46 PM
"You'll see when you get thewe. I have a contact in the viwwage who will help you get on twack." With a wave of his hands you feel a sudden tugging sensation. Next thing you know, you are in a large village.

You stand on what looks be a pier. A woman wearing a cloak that obscures all but her face approaches you. "Welcome to Fishmonger adventurers. My name is Lyla and I am the one who will help you find the princess."

TiaC
2014-06-01, 08:24 PM
"Now that's service. Direct and to the point, I like it! I thought the grump was our guide though."

Vhaidara
2014-06-01, 09:42 PM
She is our guide in this town. The draconian is our guide to find the princess.
Adarine sweeps a bow to Lyla.
My lady. What can you tell us of this village? The necromancer mentioned a festival?

Xoroth
2014-06-02, 12:37 AM
"The people of this village are all descended from its guardian and his chosen bride. The Water Princess festival involves the selection of his new bride. It occurs once every 100 years. I have been studying this phenomenon for some time now hoping to gain insight into the unique features of the people who live here. Fishmonger is famous for its Fish Sticks which are said to be quite good. Still, that is inconsequential. I can lead you to the trail post haste so unless you wish to dally we can be on our way."

DracoDei
2014-06-03, 03:56 PM
"Well, I've cast a spell or two today, and they were no mere cantrips, so we might be well served by a day's rest... also getting to know eachother could be of utility. I'll defer to the group's judgement however." says Sinus.

Silver Night
2014-06-04, 12:43 AM
"I suggest we strike the iron while it's hot. Unless those couple of spells have depleted your reserves, of course."

DracoDei
2014-06-04, 12:59 AM
"Well, actually that sorta depends... if one of you is a good scout, then it has depleted my reserves. If not, then I'm proably good to go. I'm most effective when I can set up out of sight of the enemy, behind solid cover. That technique tends to chew through my energy though."

TiaC
2014-06-04, 05:01 AM
"I reside in the Ethereal from where I can see into the Material. Is that a good enough scout for you?" Klaus raises an eyebrow at Sinus. "However, I too am in favor of quick action. It's hardly like any of us can tire any longer."

dupersudi
2014-06-04, 08:22 AM
"Or like we need to sleep to replenish our magicks. In any case, we should move quickly and get this over with. Avoiding unnecessary combat would probably be best however. You can meditate for your spells once we have determined our situation here."

Xoroth
2014-06-16, 06:07 PM
Lyla leads you past several food stalls and through the main streets of the town. Eventually, you arrive at the edge of the village.

"Here, this is where the Princess's band left from Fishmonger. It's up to the paladin to track him now. I wish you the best of luck on your journey."

Make spot checks to notice the unusual sights around you.

Silver Night
2014-06-16, 09:34 PM
Catseye

Catseye looks around

Spot: [roll0]

Vhaidara
2014-06-16, 09:43 PM
Adarine, still suspicious of this entire chain of events, keeps his eyes open.

Spot: [roll0]

dupersudi
2014-06-16, 10:06 PM
Ramiel looks about, utilizing his detect evil ability on anyone nearby, as well as looking for anything unusual.

[roll0]

DracoDei
2014-06-17, 05:46 PM
Sinus remains alert.
[roll0]

TiaC
2014-06-17, 06:12 PM
"Thank you for your help, miss Lyla."

[roll0]

Xoroth
2014-06-23, 01:17 AM
As you gather the sights around you can see that many of the towns folk possess fish-like scales. Of those that do, several have webbed fingers, fins in place of ears, and much sharper teeth than is usual

You notice the scales and much, much more. As you gather the sights around you can see that many of the towns folk possess fish-like scales. Of those that do, several have webbed fingers, fins in place of ears, and much sharper teeth than is usual. Others have fishy tails, claws, and strangest of all conch shell-like growths where an arm might be; a terrifying lobster claw extending from the shell opening. In the distance, you perceive a palanquin. A very beautiful woman with an uncomfortable look on her face sits in it whilst being carried by four very fishy townsfolk. Unlike most palanquins the bed is a pool of sloshing water.

As you pass by the various townsfolk you can see a hint of a glimmer on the limbs and faces of the citizenry. It reminds you of the way the sun gleams off the scales of a fish. Hmm...

You sense a very average amount of evil. The majority of the town shows no signs but you can sense bits and pieces here and there, proof that this town is filled with all types. Some with greater vices than others.

dupersudi
2014-06-23, 07:53 AM
"Some of these people seem to be part fish. Scales, fins, pointy teeth, and webbed fingers."

TiaC
2014-06-23, 09:58 AM
"Something's fishy about this place..."

DracoDei
2014-06-23, 07:13 PM
"Oh, I see... thought there was something a little weird, but I couldn't quite place it. I'm afraid I don't know much about the wondrous variety of persons in this world. Would it be rude to inquire of them do you suppose?"

TiaC
2014-06-24, 12:38 AM
"I find it is always best to be careful when asking about native cultures. I noticed that some of them even have shelled body parts. Someone important is being carried over there. Given that her palanquin seems to be a pool, she may be aquatic and possibly of importance to this oddity."

DracoDei
2014-06-24, 10:56 AM
Sinus scratches his head in confusion...
"So... are you saying we should ask the important person, rather than one of the more common people? Because I wouldn't think that would be the wisest way... you'd probably know better than I would though. I'm not very smart." he says quietly.

TiaC
2014-06-24, 03:13 PM
"Ah, no, I meant that she might be something to ask about. Just make sure to do so politely. Being chased out of town may make for a good story, but there is little else to like about it. Especially when it's raining. And there are wolves. And you're a week from any other town..."

Silver Night
2014-06-25, 11:58 PM
Catseye looks around with disapproval, "It is all very... damp. You!" She suddenly addresses a passing fish-person, "Who is that, in the palanquin?"

Perhaps all the water has her on-edge.

Intimidate: [roll0]

(It's diplomacy for people with serious decay issues!)

DracoDei
2014-06-26, 12:44 PM
Sinus interposes himself between Catseye and the villager, facing Catseye, and SLIGHTLY too close to be strictly polite.

"LAY OFF! I just met you, but if you are trying to convince me that we should travel together, then this is NOT the way to do it. Haven't you ever even heard of common courtesy?!"

OF these two checks, I'm actually putting more weight on the Diplomacy check. In other words, he's more trying to persuade the townsfolk that the party as a whole is not a problem than he is trying to change Catseye's behavior.

Diplomacy (focused on Townsfolk) [roll0]
Intimidate (focused on Catseye) [roll1]

TiaC
2014-06-26, 03:52 PM
Klaus facepalms. "What part of 'Be polite' was so hard to understand?" Turning to the townsfolk, he says "I apologize for my companion, she has only a passing acquaintance with common courtesy. However, I do admit to some curiosity as to the identity of the beauty in yonder palanquin. Would you mind sating my curiosity?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Silver Night
2014-06-28, 04:35 AM
Catseye

Catseye shrugs, "I dislike this place and wish to be away as soon as possible."

DracoDei
2014-06-28, 12:00 PM
"Then perhaps you could have, oh, I don't know... TOLD us that you IDIOT?! I mean, Allurehn only knows I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but even I have that much idea of how to get stuff done! I'd GLADLY have hurried ahead with you out of town and waited up for the others if you liked."

Bluff [roll0] I'll explain what this is for if Catseye beats the opposed check.

Silver Night
2014-06-29, 02:14 AM
Catseye

"Now who is being impolite? And certainly such outbusts will endear us to your precious town-folk." Catseye snorts, "Now, if you are done throwing around insults, perhaps we can return to the matter at hand. There is a princess to protect, still, is there not?"

DracoDei
2014-06-30, 12:13 AM
"If you wish to move ahead, I'm sure one or two of us would be glad to accompany you in your haste to protect whatever imaginary 'princess' you are talking about. Some others might want to remain behind and get to know these good people. I'm sure we can all catch up later."

Bluff check for "Princess? What Princess? I know nothing about any Princess, no sir-ee! Especially not any Princess who probably has a 5 if not 6 figure bounty on her head!" [roll0]

Silver Night
2014-06-30, 02:34 AM
Catseye

Catseye rolls illusionary eyes, "Regardless, feel free to continue wasting time that I'm sure we have a limitless supply of. Perhaps if you would apply yourself to these townsfolk, I won't have to do it my way, yes?"

DracoDei
2014-06-30, 03:17 PM
"Certainly." says Sinus, his anger gone in a flash.

He fishes in the coin-purse hanging from his belt and removes a single gold piece. He holds it out to the villager that Catseye was yelling at.
"For your trouble."

I guess I will roll diplomacy here. I actually had a clever plan in mind regarding getting my fingers to brush against there's but I gotta restrain myself since my character is supposed to be of noticeably below-average intelligence.

Diplomacy [roll0]

He looks around at the rest of the people around them, particularly any who might be looking towards Klaus. If reasonable, he addresses them.

"Yes, we are most curious, and MOST of us are polite. We mean you no harm in any case."

dupersudi
2014-06-30, 03:37 PM
Ramiel held his silence, allowing his party members to bicker. He instead watched the people around them, attempting to discern if any held undue interest in his party's spat.

Spot
[roll0]

Xoroth
2014-06-30, 09:18 PM
The passing villager turns in confusion. His face shifts to unease at Catseye's attempts at intimidation. He accepts the coin and says "That is the Guardian's selected gift for his bride. He is very selective of his chosen and the ritual to bind the two to each other is very particular. The marriage ritual involves feeding the bride the heart of a beautiful maiden of the sea to the chosen whereupon the power of water will flow plentifully through her. The new bride's descendants will become part of the village and the protection of the guardian will be guaranteed for many decades. It is a fair trade.Furthermore, His power brings us great fortune. Our nets have never been fuller than with his blessing; misfortune and disease are rare."

You notice that his eyes move independent of each other to take in the whole party.

Several villagers noticeably turn towards the commotion but are quick to return to their business.

DracoDei
2014-07-01, 10:00 PM
"By what means is this maiden of the sea selected or obtained?"

I must choose my battles carefully. More information is always good... perhaps my new companions will know what to do with it... assuming I can actually trust them. thinks Sinus Ripley.