PDA

View Full Version : Rope Trick/Leomunds Tiny Hut/Secure Shelter for Clerics

Yogibear41
2014-05-02, 07:19 PM
Are there any cleric spells similar to these that will essentially provide a place to sleep for the night with near 100% safety from monsters?

JeminiZero
2014-05-02, 08:36 PM
Does using Anyspell to cast Rope Trick count? :smalltongue:

Darrin
2014-05-02, 11:14 PM
Hmmm. Best I can do is lesser planar ally, ask for a sylph (MM2) that knows rope trick (7 hours) or Leomund's tiny hut (14 hours).

Cloak of Shelter (12080 GP, A&EG) can cast Leomund's secure shelter once per day.

eggynack
2014-05-02, 11:24 PM
Sure. celestial fortress (CV, 53) is basically the same as secure shelter, except it's a sanctified spell. You need to be non-evil, and there's a 1d2 constitution damage sacrifice cost, but those aren't the biggest problems.

Lightlawbliss
2014-05-03, 12:16 AM
Sure. celestial fortress (CV, 53) is basically the same as secure shelter, except it's a sanctified spell. You need to be non-evil, and there's a 1d2 constitution damage sacrifice cost, but those aren't the biggest problems.

which brings up the question of what is? (AFB)

eggynack
2014-05-03, 12:22 AM
which brings up the question of what is? (AFB)
What's that now? I'm somewhat confused. I was indicating that there are no major problems with the spell, apart from possibly the alignment restriction.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-03, 12:59 AM
As in "those aren't the biggest of problems."

Sorry, eggy, just thought I'd try to clarify.

Ack, attack of the Grammar Nazi! Honestly, I don't know what's gotten into him. Must be past bedtime.:smalltongue:

eggynack
2014-05-03, 01:09 AM
As in "those aren't the biggest of problems."

Sorry, eggy, just thought I'd try to clarify.

I suppose, though I think the omission was differently intended. In particularly, it could be of the form, "those aren't the biggest problems in the universe," or, "those aren't the biggest problems possessed by any game object." In that context, it's possibly a valid omission, though clarity is always a good thing to seek.

da_chicken
2014-05-03, 01:14 AM
Well, you can always plane shift to Celestia. Granted, the return trip is a bit inconvenient.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-03, 01:15 AM
[insert piercing analysis of original comment, possible omissions implied and/or assumed]

Or I could just shut up now and go to sleep.

NOTE: Is there really no domain with one of those shelter spells on it? I find it hard to believe that, given the brutally long list of domains across all 3e sources. If so, you could always domain draught/staff/Planar Touchstone to get access to it. Or dip Contemplative or the like.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-03, 01:41 AM
Are there any cleric spells similar to these that will essentially provide a place to sleep for the night with near 100% safety from monsters?

... Tiny Hut and Secure Shelter do not really give a high of a degree of protection Tiny Hut just protects from the elements (and gives some protection from prying eyes), and Secure Shelter is really little more than a locked building with a few amenities. So... yes. Summon Monster III (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterIII.htm) plus Endure Elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) and Continual Flame (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/continualFlame.htm). Get a Celestial Dire Badger to dig a nice hole for you, cast Endure Elements on everyone, and set a watch with the permanent light - along the tunnel which has neither cover nor concealment. Spell Compendium has the Skull Watch spell, which gets you out of the Continual Flame, and lets you actually go to sleep (mostly).

Jeff the Green
2014-05-03, 01:59 AM
[insert piercing analysis of original comment, possible omissions implied and/or assumed]

Or I could just shut up now and go to sleep.

NOTE: Is there really no domain with one of those shelter spells on it? I find it hard to believe that, given the brutally long list of domains across all 3e sources. If so, you could always domain draught/staff/Planar Touchstone to get access to it. Or dip Contemplative or the like.

Cavern and Feast both have LSS, the former at 4th and the latter at 5th.

Yogibear41
2014-05-03, 03:11 AM
Looking at them for a potential favored soul build, so I guess I should have said no domain spells sorry :smallsmile:

AnonymousPepper
2014-05-03, 03:19 AM
Honestly your best option is just to not cast it yourself and have the party arcane caster handle it.

Failing that, you have a couple options, none of which are actually native to your spell list.

First, there's Anyspell for casting the things yourself.

Second option, put a few ranks into UMD and then use Guidance of the Avatar to ace the UMD check on a scroll - or, ideally, a minor schema - of Rope Trick (buy it at CL8 or better) or similar.

Chronos
2014-05-03, 08:12 AM
A CL 5 Extended Rope Trick would be a little cheaper than a CL 8 Rope Trick, and also give you a couple of extra hours (good for preparing spells after you rest, for instance), if you go the item route.

There's also a cleric-friendly prestige class called Singer of Concordance, which gives you your own secure private demiplane you can travel to at will, with some other benefits (for instance, the plane is minor positive dominant, so everyone heals for free).

Darrin
2014-06-10, 08:16 AM
Found something else:

Celestial Fortress (Sanctified 4, Champions of Valor). Works just like Leomund's secure shelter, except it costs a sacrifice of 1d2 Con damage (which you can get back after a good night's sleep).

However, since Favored Souls aren't prepared casters... I'm not sure they have access to it.