PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need suggestions on bard with rogue dip

Kella
2014-05-03, 12:18 AM
I'm starting in a new campaign in pathfinder starting at level 3, no archetypes and generally restricted to core and advanced player's guide with a 25 point buy.
What I'd like to play is a bard who hates everyone, but hates evil things slightly moreso than hating the rest of the population. I'm thinking mostly bard levels with a one or two level dip in rogue. I'd like some thoughts/suggestions/tips on this as I'm unsure how well this would work out.
Thanks in advance.

Yanisa
2014-05-03, 01:01 AM
Well general speaking Pathfinder is less about dipping and multiclassing then other editions due things like capstones at level 20 and favored class bonuses. Though I must say I am not that impressed by the Bard Capstone.
Also what do you expect about of a Rogue dip? Trapfinding? but bard have perception in class and can detect magic, so you can find all traps. Trap disabling? You only need that for magical traps and even then you can summon monsters, dispel magic, or convince the groups barbarian to open the door. Sneak Attack? Too little to matter and forces to play in a hard way (flanking, stealth, etc.) More skill points? With a two level dip it is only 4 more points, and you get things like Jack-of-all-trades later and besides Bards already got a ton of skill points due Versatile performance. Also the Rogue was the same BaB and worse saves.

I'm sorry for shooting your idea down so thoroughly, but I really feel you shouldn't dib in Rogue as it gives nothing you want. That's my advice, stick to 100% bard.

jaydubs
2014-05-03, 01:33 AM
Yanisa is right. A straight bard will be stronger than a bard/rogue. You lose too much from not advancing bard to be made up by taking rogue levels.

If you're just looking for trap finding, try to convince your DM to allow the Trap Finder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/campaign-traits/mummy-s-mask/trap-finder) trait. It's a campaign trait, so by default you can't always take it. But I've found most DMs to be accommodating if no one wants to take a normal trapfinding class.

"The party could use someone who can find traps, but I'm really looking to play a (insert class). Would it be alright if I took this trait?" I've had luck with this route, since most GMs don't want to force anyone to play a specific class, and most GMs also like to have their parties be able to cover all the bases.

Kella
2014-05-03, 11:08 AM
All right, thanks. Straight bard it is! Sometimes you need people to shoot down bad ideas before they take effect.

nedz
2014-05-03, 03:44 PM
I played a Bard X/Rogue 2 once (mixed 3.0/3.5): Evasion was useful but the delayed spell progression hurt.
(It was a low magic game so a Ring of Evasion wasn't an option)

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-03, 04:01 PM
It would still be weaker than straight Bard, but if you could take archetypes, there's some decent rogue ones to snag a unique level 1 ability. But since they're banned...I also see no reason to dip rogue at all.

kts2008
2014-05-03, 05:09 PM
Take a look at the Archaeologist Archetype for bards. It might have what you want.

Kudaku
2014-05-03, 06:21 PM
What were you looking to gain with the rogue levels? If we know what you want mechanically we might find a feat, spell, class or other way for you to pick it up.

That said, I agree with the other posters here - dipping is generally a bad idea for a spellcaster and the Pathfinder bard is pretty much strictly better than the rogue.