PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Do Positive Levels exist?

Yael
2014-05-03, 03:18 AM
Thread states.

So, they do exist as a counterpart of Negative Levels (kind of a penalty to undead or negative energy based creatures [moar undead tho])?

ryu
2014-05-03, 03:24 AM
Some obscure angel type or another has an ability called charge which is the opposite of draining. If memory serves being charged is just about the exactly opposite of negative levels without the possibility of permanent status. Good thing too because I'm pretty sure that would still count in an ECL kinda way.

Links:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_energycharge&alpha

geekintheground
2014-05-03, 03:56 AM
im pretty sure that while the ability is DEFINED there isnt anything that actually USES it...

ryu
2014-05-03, 03:58 AM
im pretty sure that while the ability is DEFINED there isnt anything that actually USES it...

Again some obscure angel thing you likely won't see in actual play.

NoACWarrior
2014-05-03, 07:06 AM
there are a few things which emulate a positive level - The closest thing I've seen which grants more spells known and spells per day and spell access was the greater draconic ritual for kobold sorcerers.

Eurus
2014-05-03, 07:35 AM
Inspire Greatness grants temporary bonus hit dice, but is unrelated to positive energy.

Graypairofsocks
2014-05-03, 09:07 AM
Thread states.

So, they do exist as a counterpart of Negative Levels (kind of a penalty to undead or negative energy based creatures [moar undead tho])?

They exist and give a bonus to living things and probably deathless creatures(Postive energy undead).

Vedhin
2014-05-03, 10:39 AM
Again some obscure angel thing you likely won't see in actual play.

Nope, not one single creature uses it. Which is a good thing-- Energy Charge is horribly dysfunctional and overpowered.

Snowbluff
2014-05-03, 12:45 PM
Inspire Greatness and similiar effects give bonus HD.

Nope, not one single creature uses it. Which is a good thing-- Energy Charge is horribly dysfunctional and overpowered.

I don't see how. There's a definitely and hard limit to how much they can boost, and how long they last.

Vedhin
2014-05-03, 12:51 PM
I don't see how. There's a definitely and hard limit to how much they can boost, and how long they last.

"An affected creature gains... one spell slot of the highest level of spells she can cast and (if applicable) one prepared spell of that level."

For each positive level, an extra highest-level spell. Trust me, if a creature with Energy Charge existed, people would hunt them down, capture them, and force them to give positive levels. Then they could have a Cleric heal the Energy Charge creature up with one of those extra highest level spell slots they just got.

mabriss lethe
2014-05-03, 12:53 PM
Imagine tag teaming Energy charge and energy drain on a caster with a solid con modifier. Charge 'em up, pick up the bonus spells/slots. when they're expended drain the caster down to baseline and then re-charge. All high level spells, all the time.

EDIT: nevermind wouldn't since it doesn't explicitly state that negative levels and positive levels cancel each other out. Also, no... you'd still be taking a hit to your spell slots each time you drained to baseline. Blah.

enderlord99
2014-05-03, 01:05 PM
Yes. You gain them by getting lots of XP, then not spending it to craft stuff.

They aren't exactly an "effect," like Negative Levels, but still.

Snowbluff
2014-05-03, 01:09 PM
"An affected creature gains... one spell slot of the highest level of spells she can cast and (if applicable) one prepared spell of that level."

For each positive level, an extra highest-level spell. Trust me, if a creature with Energy Charge existed, people would hunt them down, capture them, and force them to give positive levels. Then they could have a Cleric heal the Energy Charge creature up with one of those extra highest level spell slots they just got.

There's still a cap. There are much easier options for infinite spell slots, which is a much higher number than your constitution modifier.

Vedhin
2014-05-03, 01:13 PM
There's still a cap. There are much easier options for infinite spell slots, which is a much higher number than your constitution modifier.

Yeah, but are the other methods so obvious in the rules? Energy Charge explicitly hands out free highest level spell slots, no possibly unintended interactions involved.

Snowbluff
2014-05-03, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but are the other methods so obvious in the rules? Energy Charge explicitly hands out free highest level spell slots, no possibly unintended interactions involved.

Other abilities are intended to give you spells slots, like Absorption. Gaining a large number of slots from it is probably not intended, but neither would be Gating in an angel that can use this ability. I personally don't care about intention either way, but it's not a valid argument in this sense.

Hecuba
2014-05-03, 01:27 PM
The last time this ability came up, I seem to remember someone tracking down a single 3rd party example.
Let's see...

Ahh, KoK, of course. Lifesap, 6th level W/S spell.