PDA

View Full Version : Non-Psionic Half Giant LA

Blackhawk748
2014-05-03, 09:44 AM
Just like the title says, im wondering what the LA of a Non-Psionic half giant would be, as i know the Thri Kreen's goes down when they lose their Psi like ability.

Flickerdart
2014-05-03, 09:50 AM
The thri-kreen is significantly more psionic than half-giants are. Losing 2PP and a lousy 1/day PLA isn't going to make half-giants LA0.

CyberThread
2014-05-03, 10:03 AM
* looks at warforge and dwarves and humans*

Yeah , why the hell not, have your LA 0

Blackhawk748
2014-05-03, 10:07 AM
* looks at warforge and dwarves and humans*

Yeah , why the hell not, have your LA 0

This is pretty much what i do when i look at races, or i look at the lesser planetouched, if their more powerful than that they need an LA :P

Kazudo
2014-05-03, 12:19 PM
Yeah, we use a variant at my table that loses all ingrained psionics to drop to LA +0. While they're not what it's about, it is certainly a thing that can be taken advantage of, and without it it's pretty much a human who traded its variability for Powerful Build.

Though typically if someone wants a Large or better creature and doesn't mind some Racial HD in place of LA, we usually go Anthro Baleen Whale.

Elderand
2014-05-03, 12:27 PM
You are all wrong.
We all know the real powerhouse in the game are fighters and monks, look at those class features ! And their ability to fight all day when a wizard only has so many spells.

The reason why half giant is +1 is because it allows your puny casters to get a little martial coolness in their build. But on the other hand, getting a little casting in your melee build is only going to weaken it.

So clearly, when you get rid of psionic from half giant you're only making it better !
So a non psionic half giant should be LA +2 !

Psyren
2014-05-03, 03:02 PM
Every other race with Powerful Build is LA 1 even without psionics so that is probably your strongest indicator.

But I'm in favor of powering all the races up; PF races (including the PF Half-Giant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant)) are a good LA 0 baseline for everyone to be at.

T.G. Oskar
2014-05-03, 04:29 PM
The Pros of Half-Giant include a Strength bonus and Powerful Build, which maximizes that Strength. Compared to a similar race, such as Goliath, the Half-Giant would be LA +1 just because of that. Losing their psionic ability and their Psi-Like Ability doesn't really hinder them, since as mentioned, it's not like they have more psionic potential than other races; in the case of a Half-Giant, it's almost an afterthought. Note that Goliaths have extra Strength, but they're not Giants as the Half-Giant is (giants are automatically proficient in all Martial Weapons, something that Monstrous Humanoids, the type the Goliath belongs to, doesn't)

There's two ways to handle this: one is to ignore the LA, but that means Goliath shouldn't have its LA either (the Goliath has extra Strength, the Half-Giant is of the Giant type and thus is proficient with all martial weapons). The other is to keep the LA, but give Half-Giants something for their psi-like ability: a Con-based use of Stomp that works functionally similar but otherwise works as an extraordinary ability would be sufficient. As mentioned, Powerful Build is enough to grant someone LA +1, but that's the only thing the Half-Giant has for, so it's either fairness for everyone or the Half-Giant gets a freebie to justify their LA.

If anything, if you choose to keep the LA, impose LA buy-off. Let the Half-Giant buy off its LA.

Yogibear41
2014-05-04, 06:52 AM
If you are using LA buy off a +1 barely even matters, it only sucks when everyone else hits level 2 and you are still stuck at level 1 for a little longer, other than that you can't even really tell IMO.

But I actually had an idea for a "half-giant" for a homebrew e6 world setting I was working on awhile back but basically put it on hold for awhile, where they were non-psionic, didn't have the bonus on saves against fire, but had like frost resist 5 or something instead(they were all descended from frost giants), wanted to try to make them LA 0 but were probably a little to strong for that still, could tack on a -2 charisma or something to help bring them lower.

Compare them to water orcs which are LA 0.