PDA

View Full Version : DragonFire Bard: Feat suggestion for 18th level

Hiro Quester
2014-05-03, 10:22 AM
I'm playing a Neutral Bard10/SublimeChord2/HeartFire Fanner6. Just made 18th level last game. High CHA bonus.

Looking for a fun-to-roleplay feat for 18th level. Especially feats that are CHA-related, Draconic, or just extra awesomeness. Ones that debuff the Bad Guys would also be useful, too.

Character theme: Fire Souled template, Draconic Bloodline (pyroclastic); primary role is party face, buffer and backup caster (our Wizard hasn't been able to play sometimes), and Melee Bard (Cha bonus to AC, Attack, and Damage x2).

I have most of the good bardic music feats (Doomspeak, Lingering Song, Melodic Casting, Snowflake Wardance, DFI, Song of the Heart). I have maxed out Perform (voice), Diplomacy, Buff and have a decent Intimidate, too.

I get to pick a last feat at 18th level. One that will augment the Bard/Fire/Dragon theme for the character would be nice. And/or will make it more fun to role-play.

I'd welcome suggestions for fun feats, please.

Yorrin
2014-05-03, 10:29 AM
Something like Eschew Materials or even Extend Spell would be useful here, since you don't seem to have a lot of casting support yet. Alternatively Draconic Aura would be a fun one that fits your theme.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-03, 12:20 PM
Something like Eschew Materials or even Extend Spell would be useful here, since you don't seem to have a lot of casting support yet. Alternatively Draconic Aura would be a fun one that fits your theme.

Extend is on the shortlist for sure. Many buffs can benefit from that, and HFF has a bardsong that grants +1Metamagic.

Draconic auras, though. I hadn't noticed those... +3 to me and allies in 30 feet. Some useful auras on the list, too. Presence is good for further optimizing Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy. Hmm...

mabriss lethe
2014-05-03, 12:41 PM
I'd go with an Aura. Lots of choices for nice little effects that require no real action economy cost. IIRC, you're not just limited to the auras presented with the feat, but can also select Dragon Shaman auras as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-03, 12:52 PM
This trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4) if you're good-aligned or can get a nongood version of Ancestral Relic. A DFI Bard should be exalted anyway for Words of Creation.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-03, 01:12 PM
The Custom Runestaff/Ancestral Relic trick? I'd never seen that before. That would be promising for spell versatility, with a limited spell list.

But I'm not good enough to use it (or WoC) --true Neutral. And I was a street-orphan. Know no family. the only ancestor I know of is my great, great... grandfather, an evil pyroclastic dragon we just met and defeated. So that's out.

I like the idea though, of adding spellcasting versatility.
That's why I talked DM into letting me take Draconic Bloodline as 15th level feat (extra spell known at each level, including fear, mind blank, true seeing, and dominate monster). Also why I learned the shadow evocation and conjuration, and limited wish.

This kind of thing certainly has the "wow" factor I'm looking for.

Getting DragonFire Inspiration (Talked the DM into alloying that feat with the FireSouled template rather than leadership; our game is too crowded already for cohorts). DFI changed dramatically how the character buffs the party. This might be the last feat I choose (Doubt we'll get epic before the mission ends).

Wow factor like Draconic Bloodline or DFI is what I'm looking for. A Draconic aura might be nice, but a little "Meh"... (Backup plan).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-03, 04:04 PM
The Custom Runestaff/Ancestral Relic trick? I'd never seen that before. That would be promising for spell versatility, with a limited spell list.

But I'm not good enough to use it (or WoC) --true Neutral. And I was a street-orphan. Know no family. the only ancestor I know of is my great, great... grandfather, an evil pyroclastic dragon we just met and defeated. So that's out.

Make the staff out of one of the dragon's bones. Say the Ancestral Relic's power awakens though a blood link, rather than the normal (good-alignment-required) means. Just copy the mechanics of Ancestral Relic but change the flavor completely.

Another option would be to get any type of magical staff, even a +1 Quarterstaff, and take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), then upgrade it yourself to also be a custom Runestaff. You would need another spellcaster or a charged/single-use item to contribute whichever spells you want to put on it, but it gives you plenty of other benefits as well.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-04, 09:58 AM
Another option would be to get any type of magical staff, even a +1 Quarterstaff, and take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), then upgrade it yourself to also be a custom Runestaff. You would need another spellcaster or a charged/single-use item to contribute whichever spells you want to put on it, but it gives you plenty of other benefits as well.

I had been thinking about Item Familiar for an earlier level feat. The extra skill points and XP probably won't be an issue. But At 18th level the IF gets quite a few add-ons. Being able to get a custom Runestaff (instead of a sword; or maybe a runesword??) as IF, and add spell use and such to that item does sound interesting. That has a lot of interesting possibilities. I'll research that. Thanks, Biff!

Of course, other suggestions are still welcome. I don't need to commit for another week or so.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-04, 11:58 AM
I had been thinking about Item Familiar for an earlier level feat. The extra skill points and XP probably won't be an issue. But At 18th level the IF gets quite a few add-ons. Being able to get a custom Runestaff (instead of a sword; or maybe a runesword??) as IF, and add spell use and such to that item does sound interesting. That has a lot of interesting possibilities. I'll research that. Thanks, Biff!

Of course, other suggestions are still welcome. I don't need to commit for another week or so.

Make it an Elvencraft (RotW) longbow, which makes it count as both a quarterstaff and a bow. You can even make it a Dragonbone Bow (Draconomicon). Since it will count as three weapons (bow and double weapon) you'll need to buy masterwork three times, but it can have three wand chambers. Make all three portions +1 Defending and put Greater Magic Weapon on them, Defending specifically states it stacks with all other bonuses, which would include other Defending bonuses. You can put other properties like Eager, Warning, Spellblade, Parrying, Illithidwrought, etc. that add passive bonuses onto it and spread them around so they're cheaper. You can even make it Morphing so it can turn into any weapon you want it to be. Put a Wand of Wings of Cover in one of the wand chambers, it takes the same action to activate as it would to cast the spell per Rules Compendium, and I'm sure you must have enough UMD to reliably use it, if not hire an NPC Psion for a Psychic Reformation to fix that.

Hiro Quester
2014-05-04, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the details, Biff. A dragonbone elvencraft longbow IF sounds interesting. I see you posted about this, with more details, in an "Archery Ranger" question, too. With those details, I see what you mean. Three wand chambers in a single weapon sounds very useful.

That does sound like a good weapon invest in.

Most of my melee ability is using Longsword (snowflake wardance requires slacking weapons). So I didn't really want to be committed o holding a staff. But making the runestaff also a bow.... That has promise. I'll think on that. Thanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-04, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the details, Biff. A dragonbone elvencraft longbow IF sounds interesting. I see you posted about this, with more details, in an "Archery Ranger" question, too. With those details, I see what you mean. Three wand chambers in a single weapon sounds very useful.

That does sound like a good weapon invest in.

Most of my melee ability is using Longsword (snowflake wardance requires slacking weapons). So I didn't really want to be committed o holding a staff. But making the runestaff also a bow.... That has promise. I'll think on that. Thanks.

If you give any portion of it the Morphing weapon property, it can turn into any weapon you want it to be and still retain all of its other properties.