PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dungeon Crasher "monk"

Fruchtfliege
2014-05-03, 10:55 AM
Hey guys,

I am in need of your expertise.
There is a character concept stuck in my brain, that I just can not seem to realize without help.

The problems with my group:
They are no optimizers. No problem in itself, but limits my power options, since I do not want to overshadow everyone.
My character would start off at level 6 and need to work at that level!

My character idea:
A guy who just is lazy - Imprisoned? Good: Free food. Enemies? Meh, seems like a lot of work.
A guy who is also strong - NEED to get out of the cell to pee? Break stuff (Door/Walls...) to get out
A guy who lets his fists do the talking if needed

My first idea was a dungeon crasher/ Barbarian / Fist of forest (Though that would be a bit too restrictive regarding the nature aspect)
My second idea was an illumian sorcerer/ Human paragon / abjurant champion (But that would rely too heavy on casting)
My third idea was a half-giant (la +2) dungeon crasher/ Barbarian /Fist of forest (Because of the better AC, but otherwise see above)

Foundations:
28-points buy
No flaws
No LA buyoff (But I am still willing to take LA races, since there is NO optimization going on in my group)
All wotc books allowed
No dragon mag or third party stuff

I really like the idea of using the dungeon crasher +5 (+10) on breaking stuff and the "destructive rage" feat for additional +8 on that while raging. But for him to be effective at this he has to be a least medium (since I do not know any more bonus stuff for breaking things). And for my concept to work he needs some kind of monk AC and unarmed damage. Very restrictive, I know.

Maybe I did not see some great PrC or feat, that would help my cause.

Thanks in advance

Yorrin
2014-05-03, 11:00 AM
Bracers of Armor are a thing. And with your fighter bonus feats you can always pick up Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike. So between the two of those you don't need Fist of the Forest if you really dont want it.

Fruchtfliege
2014-05-03, 11:14 AM
True, thats another approach towards things.
Thanks.
Though I can not say I really don't want FoF, but the whole "primal living" thing does not fit my concept very well.

Red Fel
2014-05-03, 11:43 AM
I'd like to point out that when it comes to smashing things in melee, few things are as satisfying as the Mountain Hammer line of Stone Dragon maneuvers. Take a dip into Warblade and pick up a couple of these bad boys, deal extra damage and overcome DR and hardness as you do. Note that these maneuvers can target a creature or an object, so smashing stuff is totally legit. And since they only require a "melee attack," you can also perform them unarmed.

Telonius
2014-05-03, 01:06 PM
Unarmed Swordsage could work. Concentrate on Stone Dragon ("You mean I have to move? ... no thanks") and Setting Sun (theoretically, it's all about using your opponent's force against him).

Averis Vol
2014-05-03, 03:22 PM
How about something like Dwarf Monk 2 (invisible fist)/Ranger 2 (TWF feat line)/barbarian 1/fighter 2/ deepwarden 2/ fighter x

That way you still get con to AC (Even in armor if you wanted), a few abilities to make your job easier (At will greater invisibility on a 3 round cd, mmmmmmm....) and free two weapon fighting and a favored enemy. The levels can be re arranged as well, in case you want something different in the earlier levels.

EDIT: plus your a dwarf, things are always funnier when dwarves do them.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-03, 03:53 PM
How about something like Dwarf Monk 2 (invisible fist)/Ranger 2 (TWF feat line)/barbarian 1/fighter 2/ deepwarden 2/ fighter x

That way you still get con to AC (Even in armor if you wanted), a few abilities to make your job easier (At will greater invisibility on a 3 round cd, mmmmmmm....) and free two weapon fighting and a favored enemy. The levels can be re arranged as well, in case you want something different in the earlier levels.

EDIT: plus your a dwarf, things are always funnier when dwarves do them.
How are you getting around the no-lawful restriction on Barbarians or must-be-lawful on Monks?:smallconfused:

Fruchtfliege
2014-05-03, 04:50 PM
How are you getting around the no-lawful restriction on Barbarians or must-be-lawful on Monks?:smallconfused:
Just be a monk first and then accept, that the world doesn't need laws :D
Monks don't lose their abilities due to alignment changes.

That build looks like fun.
Where is "invisible fist" from?

Dwarf always was my favourite race. I'd even qualify for the feat that gives you 1-1/2 str bonus with unarmed attacks.
I'll take a deeper look into that.
Thanks

Averis Vol
2014-05-03, 04:55 PM

By using pure, unadulterated munchkinry and accepting the fact that I can never progress as a monk again. like Fruchtfliege said, it's not like he loses his abilities for doing so. Also, invisible fist is from exemplars of evil.

Klarth
2014-05-03, 04:59 PM
Because Knockback is like the best feat ever, try this build on for size:

Goliath (LA+1) Overwhelming attack Monk 2/Mountain rage, spirit bear totem, wolf totem Barbarian 2/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/

Goliaths are great at special attacks since powerful build is effectively +4 to trip, bullrush and grapple, with another +2 from their STR bonus (and +3 while raging).

You get lots of bonus feats: Power Attack, Imp Unarmed Strike, Imp Bull Rush, Imp Trip, and one free fighter feat for Knockback. Take Spirt Bear instead of Lion for Improved Grab; let someone else be the big damage dealer while you focus on controlling enemies.

Great Fortitude at level 1 sets you up for Fist of the Forest. Alternatively you can go Swordsage 2 for a level 3 stance (Crushing Weight of Mountain gets you 2d6+1.5xSTR constrict) and other nifty stuff. Or you can just go for Fighter 6 to max out dungeoncrasher. Either way, grabbing Extra Rage at level 3 is nice if you're not taking more levels of barbarian.

A.A.King
2014-05-03, 05:02 PM
Other Alternative Class Features you might want to consider if you are going the Dwarven Monk route:

Decisive Strike (PHB 2, p 51): Lose flurry of blows, gain ability to make one attack that deals double damage.
If you have Two-Weapon Fighting then you don't really need Flurry of blows, and Decisive Strike will allow you to make that epic wall shattering punch

Overwhelming Attack (Unearthed Arcana)
This fighting style will allow you to trade in your first and second monk bonus feat for "Power Attack" and "Improved Bullrush". I'm guessing that if you are going for Dungeon Chrasher you'll want to go all the way.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-03, 06:07 PM
By using pure, unadulterated munchkinry and accepting the fact that I can never progress as a monk again. like Fruchtfliege said, it's not like he loses his abilities for doing so. Also, invisible fist is from exemplars of evil.
Oh lordy. >_< I can imagine the trouble one would have trying to play out that build organically.

Azoth
2014-05-03, 08:32 PM
Use the Dead Levels web article to gain a bonus at every odd Fighter level starting at lvl3 to Str checks to bust items. Even if you only go Fighter 6 for dungeoncrasher you end up with an additional +2 to break items and it costs you nothing.

Fruchtfliege
2014-05-04, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys, that was great advice.
Now I have a lot to work with.