PDA

View Full Version : Greater Spell Name (plus lesser)

fireinthedust
2007-02-11, 12:08 PM
I'm meticulously reading the spells, to improve my game, and I saw an entry that inspired this spell. it's not finished, but here's the idea.

spell: Lesser Spell Name
school: abjuration(?)
level: sor/wiz (7th? 6th?)
Casting time:
Duration: (maybe a week per level?)
Area of effect: all but two creatures per caster level.
Range: see text
Components: v, s, m
saving throw: no
spell resistance: no (although maybe; seems like what SR would do)
Description:
Upon completing this spell, your name is laced with magical energy so that the utterance of it is deadly. All creatures affected by the spell become aware of your name and the peril of saying it. If one of them utters your name, no matter where they are they suffer 1d10 damage +1d10 per two levels (max 10d10 damage), with no saving throw; creatures slain are reduced to a pile of ashen cinders, much like the effect of a disintegrate spell. the damage can easily be avoided by simply refusing to use the caster's name. The caster can say his own name, as can up to two creatures per caster level. While the name may not be familiar, any seeing the name written down will know that saying it will cause destruction, so it cannot be used like explosive runes.
Reference can be made to the caster using nicknames, but the specific name of the caster cannot be used. This spell is often used with wards using the caster's name as a password. It is also used by caster's fearing ridicule for a name they think sounds weak to their enemies.

Greater Spell Name
sor/wiz 9
duration: permanent
Saving throw: will negates (see text)
Description: Functions like Lesser Spell Name, but damage taken is 1d12+1d12 per caster level, no maximum, no save. surviving creatures are permanently paralyzed unless they make a Will save; paralysis may be removed with a Heal spell, remove paralysis, or another spell, but otherwise functions exactly like a lich's paralysis touch.

Iituem
2007-02-11, 12:40 PM
Given this seems to have a global effect, I would wager that spell resistance and saves are a must. In addition, I would suggest that a creature who has successfully saved (not necessarily resisted) or been damaged by the strike cannot be affected by it for one full week (they can say the name freely in that time). In case there is any doubt, it should be made specific that the name in question is the caster's true name (presumably the one he was given at birth or has suitably earned).

mikeejimbo
2007-02-11, 04:05 PM
I'm making a wizard named "The" just so he can cast this spell.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-11, 04:24 PM
Hrm...these might actually warrant epic level casting, or atleast Greater Spell Name should, because it essentially makes the caster universally known as a source of power and destruction. Not sure how to properly stat an Epic spell, though.

(EDIT) Just tried to get a brief grasp on what kind of Epic spell this might be, so I looked it up in the SRD. This might use Seed: Destroy as base, meaning that before adding anything it's Spellcraft DC is 29. Then you add a specific contingency (Uttering the caster's name) which adds 25. Then comes the range...yeah. From the 12,000 feet basic to the seed to half the circumference of the earth (thus affecting the entire world). I'm not even going to attempt to do all of this, but just imagine that after all of that, there's still damage dice to take into account, and then multiply it all by five to make it permanent. This is an epic spell.

fireinthedust
2007-02-11, 05:47 PM
I got the idea when i saw the "l" section of the spell list, and saw Lesser (spell name). It seemed like a silly place to put that (ie: put it in the chapter beginning, where you explain what duration and range mean, not the actual list... although if I'm looking for lesser geas, it's a good reminder. Still...), but got me wondering what the spell would be to the real entry for that. Technically Spell Name, lesser. oh well.

Epic? No way! (although good on you for looking that up)

two examples: first, we've got the wish spell, which although it can simulate any lower level spell, can essentially do anything (although wording for some DMs is key).

second: while epic level, the archmages Elminster and the Simbul both have this effect whereby whenever someone says their name they can hear the next few breaths (and other words being said). This is a universal effect that they get either from their status as chosen of mystra, or from being archmages (I'm not sure which).

although you're right, it causes an effect that can hit anywhere... and it seems to be continuous. It's sort of a wish-level effect, however, rather than a statted out, easily adjudicated event.

Still, there are acouple things that keep this from being higher than 9th level.

1) everyone knows the word to avoid, and so won't say it (and I should add in that they can't be charmed or enchanted to say it (duress may be done, but the person still has to choose to say the name).

2) In game terms it will rarely come up; and the PC that says it will knowingly damage themselves. NPCs can be assumed to avoid the word. It may be the password to the wizard's tower, but who knows.

I think you're right about the spell resistance for the 7th level version, and the 9th. The saving throw to avoid damage: my thought was that they, by saving the name, are accepting the spell. They've knowingly dropped their save, and if they accidentally say it out of hand then they don't have the frame of mind to avoid damage. Oh well, it would only be half damage them (a minimum of what, 8d10 damage? maybe force damage)

I'm not sure about the damage die type, btw, but it sounds impressive. Is there a chapter anywhere on crafting spells like there is for making monsters?

Maybe I should lower the duration for the 9th level version to one year per level rather than permanent. And that it ends when the caster is slain/dies.

oooh, story idea: an FR caster named silvanus or mieliki, or Pellor. Clerics and Druids need the PCs to slay the caster, so they can fight an army of undead that's attacking soon. (ie: can't cast spells or turn undead) it's silly, but interesting. And certainly makes the spell epic.

realistically: the spell cannot be used if the Casters name is the same as a deity's! (as the deity refuses to have it's name witheld from worshipers by a mortal's hubris, something like that)