PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if you put a bag of holding in a portable hole on the Astral Plane?

Socksy
2014-05-03, 03:14 PM
What would happen if you put a bag of holding inside a portable hole, having already travelled onto the Astral Plane? (Let's say you used Astral Caravan, to keep the amount of non-bag/hole magic to a minimum.)

Silly or serious answers, and apologies if someone's already made this thread!> w <

BWR
2014-05-03, 03:19 PM
Don't know about 3.x but in 2e nothing would happen. Extradimensional spaces do not work on the Astral. Depending on how you wanted to rule it, bags would either spill their contents on the Astral or they would just be inaccessible.

Graypairofsocks
2014-05-03, 03:52 PM
It would probably just open a gate/rift to a different part of the Astral plane.

Pex
2014-05-03, 04:42 PM
It would explain Monty Haul treasure hoards.
:smallyuk:

Aquillion
2014-05-03, 04:45 PM
It would open a rift to the Meta-Astral Plane, a plane that relates to the Astral plane the way the Astral plane relates to the Prime Material Plane.

Jjeinn-tae
2014-05-03, 04:53 PM
A rift to your exact location is created, creating a horrible rift that is indefinitely pulling in all things around it, and immediately spitting it out, only to be pulled in again. It creates many beautiful color storms that travel long "distances" throughout the Astral.

Lord Raziere
2014-05-03, 10:39 PM
The Astral Plane gets sucked inside itself, reality crashes and then reboots from where it left off, with the minor correction of the idiot who did it not doing it this time.

or you find yourself going through an infinite Portal loop....

or you find yourself in the Far Realms....

or you open a portal to a random god in their private time doing something embarrassing, roll 1d20 to see whether you survive, no bonuses apply.

or you find yourself back on the Prime Material plane, somewhere undesirable....

or you just find yourself sucked into a portal into some random plane somewhere....

or it opens a portal that sucks something from the Prime Material plane to you, roll 1d20 to see how undesirable it is.

Prince Raven
2014-05-04, 01:00 AM
Something suddenly happens that prevents you from doing it so your GM doesn't have to figure it out.

Sith_Happens
2014-05-04, 02:44 AM
http://i72.servimg.com/u/f72/09/02/00/05/divide10.jpg

Fortuna
2014-05-04, 02:59 AM
Your DM would smack you upside the head.

Socksy
2014-05-04, 03:15 AM
The Astral Plane gets sucked inside itself, reality crashes and then reboots from where it left off, with the minor correction of the idiot who did it not doing it this time.

or you find yourself going through an infinite Portal loop....

or you find yourself in the Far Realms....

or you open a portal to a random god in their private time doing something embarrassing, roll 1d20 to see whether you survive, no bonuses apply.

or you find yourself back on the Prime Material plane, somewhere undesirable....

or you just find yourself sucked into a portal into some random plane somewhere....

or it opens a portal that sucks something from the Prime Material plane to you, roll 1d20 to see how undesirable it is.

Oh wow I love all of these.
Everyone else's too.
In fact, I think I may make a d20 (or d%) table for these!

TuggyNE
2014-05-04, 04:26 AM
You are sucked into the Pseudo-Para-Meta-Hyper-Elemental Plane of Percentile Tables. Which is not nearly as much fun as it sounds.

BWR
2014-05-04, 05:35 AM
You are sucked into the Pseudo-Para-Meta-Hyper-Elemental Plane of Percentile Tables. Which is not nearly as much fun as it sounds.

Rolemaster?

ReaderAt2046
2014-05-04, 10:41 AM
I suspect it opens a portal to the Material Plane.

Icewraith
2014-05-06, 12:30 PM
You are transported to an otherwise featureless prison plane where the song containing the words "You put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up" is endlessly repeated.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-05-06, 12:45 PM
You are transported to an otherwise featureless prison plane where the song containing the words "You put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up" is endlessly repeated.

Did... Did you just open a gate to Dragon Ball Abridged's Planet Namek?

Icewraith
2014-05-06, 05:38 PM
Did... Did you just open a gate to Dragon Ball Abridged's Planet Namek?

I didn't open anything, but did anyone else get the song stuck in their head?

saxavarius
2014-05-06, 05:56 PM
You are sucked into the world of Myst (yes the game) and most find a way back to your reality. And magic doesn't work in this plane.

hydroplatypus
2014-05-06, 08:34 PM
Since a portal from any plane ends up in the astral, I would have it open a portal to a location on a random plane.

I forget what the planes are, but if I remember correctly there are 9 alignment, 4 elemental, positive and negative energy planes, the material,shadow plane, ethereal plane, and probably a couple I forgot to mention.

So I would roll a D20 or a D100 to determine where they end up.

Xefas
2014-05-06, 08:40 PM
A be-tentacled eldritch horror made of croissant bread appears and disgorges a river of newspapers and strawberry jam.

You all have a pleasant breakfast together and go on your way unmolested.

da_chicken
2014-05-06, 10:08 PM
It opens the rift to another location on the astral plane. Otherwise it functions normally: the bag, the hole, and the contents of both are lost forever.

Socksy
2014-05-07, 01:48 AM
A be-tentacled eldritch horror made of croissant bread appears and disgorges a river of newspapers and strawberry jam.

You all have a pleasant breakfast together and go on your way unmolested.

The Far Realm must be an interesting place in your campaigns… :D
Now I wanna play a breakfast Alienist!

nedz
2014-05-07, 05:59 AM
You end up in a multiverse governed by the rules of a previous edition.

Mastikator
2014-05-07, 06:14 AM
You see the inside of the bag all around you in the infinite astral horizon.

Joe the Rat
2014-05-07, 06:43 AM
Since a portal from any plane ends up in the astral, I would have it open a portal to a location on a random plane.

I forget what the planes are, but if I remember correctly there are 9 alignment, 4 elemental, positive and negative energy planes, the material,shadow plane, ethereal plane, and probably a couple I forgot to mention.

So I would roll a D20 or a D100 to determine where they end up.
17 Alignment (many of which have multiple layers... probability dictates you will probably end up in the Abyss somewhere), 4 elemental, 2 energy, plus (depending on edition) 4 quasi-elemental, 8 para-elemental, wherever the hell time elementals come from, numerous pocket dimensions, any of a variety of Prime Material Planes, including Wildspace... though normally the elemental planes aren't accessible through the astral, and I don't remember what astral-ethereal connectivity was like.

D20ragon
2014-05-07, 02:52 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/848/ancient-aliens.jpg

That is all.

Vizzerdrix
2014-05-08, 04:45 PM

Finding a way to this place will be the driving force for the rest of my characters from now on.