PDA

View Full Version : Early Entry into cancer mage, is it worth it at 1st level entry?

CyberThread
2014-05-03, 03:21 PM
So if building something, at 4th , 2 rangers/1 warblade. I go into cancer mage at 4th level, besides the 1d6 sneak, am I getting any real benefit out of Disease Host , or am I just opening myself up to a easy to exploit weakness?

Yorrin
2014-05-03, 03:36 PM
The point of Cancer Mage from an optimization standpoint is the disease Festering Anger. It boosts your Str score every day and Cancer Mage protects you from the negatives associated with the disease. So an early-entry Cancer Mage can have an arbitrarily high Str at level 4.

Necroticplague
2014-05-03, 04:04 PM
The point of Cancer Mage from an optimization standpoint is the disease Festering Anger. It boosts your Str score every day and Cancer Mage protects you from the negatives associated with the disease. So an early-entry Cancer Mage can have an arbitrarily high Str at level 4.

There's also a disease in the same book called Vile Rigidity that slowly turns you to bone. Gives natural armor at the cost of decreasing your DEX (not doing DEX damage, decresing your dexterity. Big difference.). A Cancer Mage could ignore the latter, though, giving him an arbitrarily high AC and flat-footed AC.Combine with Scintillating Scales spell to turn natural to deflection, and serve with wine (because wine goes with cheese, right?).

CyberThread
2014-05-03, 04:13 PM
What would you say is the sliding scale of that bit. To benefit from it, before a DM throws something at you or bans the prc.

torrasque666
2014-05-03, 04:17 PM
Note to self: Get Cancer mage, get diseases, retire character to study stuff in tower for a while. Bring him back and ask DM how many days have passed since. Then apply buffs.

Yorrin
2014-05-03, 04:18 PM
There's also a disease in the same book called Vile Rigidity that slowly turns you to bone. Gives natural armor at the cost of decreasing your DEX (not doing DEX damage, decresing your dexterity. Big difference.). A Cancer Mage could ignore the latter, though, giving him an arbitrarily high AC and flat-footed AC.Combine with Scintillating Scales spell to turn natural to deflection, and serve with wine (because wine goes with cheese, right?).

Hmm, somehow missed that one. Combine the two for best results, of course. Actually, that might need to show up as an NPC in some future campaign of mine. A really angry guy made of bone covered in boils just running around smashing things. Could be a "come up with a creative solution instead of fighting him directly" encounter.

The Dark Fiddler
2014-05-03, 05:06 PM
Hmm, somehow missed that one. Combine the two for best results, of course. Actually, that might need to show up as an NPC in some future campaign of mine. A really angry guy made of bone covered in boils just running around smashing things. Could be a "come up with a creative solution instead of fighting him directly" encounter.

My creative solution any Save or Die :smalltongue: