PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Healing for Undead

Mountain
2014-05-03, 04:03 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking for ways to gain infinite, preferably free, healing for an undead PC.

Black sand is out, and I don't want to spend a level on Dread Necromancer.

If the 'infinite' part is a problem, other methods of healing undead could be helpful too.

Xerlith
2014-05-03, 04:41 PM
Leadership -> Dread Necromancer.

Or spend the level, come on.

Silva Stormrage
2014-05-03, 04:48 PM
From MMIV there is a creature Necrosis Carnexes which has a touch attack that can heal undead forever and even grant temporary hit points. Created by an 11th level spell caster using animate dead on three humanoid corpses.

Stick it in a bag of holding and just carry it around with you.

Gildedragon
2014-05-03, 06:00 PM
spellclock of inflict spells

item of inflict minor wounds at will

Planarbind a Xeg Yi (MoP)

Jack_Simth
2014-05-03, 06:10 PM
Rod of Enervating Strike, Magic Item Compendium page 57. It's a +1 Heavy Mace (1d8 damage for a medium creature) that casts Inflict Light Wounds at 1d8+5 whenever it hits anyone. Get a minion with a negative strength modifier (perhaps a skeleton of a Venerable Gnome commoner, -4 strength mod) and have it hit the undead target repeatedly. 18,312 gp, plus the cost of the minion. There are other ways, but it really depends on the build, the type of undead, and so on. The Rod of Eneverating Strike will work for any undead.

mabriss lethe
2014-05-03, 06:15 PM
1. What kind of undead are we talking about here? what class/level? If they possess an Energy Drain special, HP becomes rather arbitrary.

2. Fast Healing works on undead. Draconic Aura: Vigor is probably the easiest non-spell way to obtain it, though it only works for you if you're below half of your max HP. There are a few other ways to get it, Wand of lesser Vigor being the most cost effective.

3. If Tome of Battle is usable, the Martial Spirit stance gives you 2 HP for every successful strike. Crusader's Strike and one or two others in the Devoted Spirit discipline work in a similar manner.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-03, 06:27 PM
Wand of lesser Vigor being the most cost effective.The spell Lesser Vigor can only be applied to a living critter. It's part of the target line. There's ways around that, but they probably won't work for the OP's purposes.

ericgrau
2014-05-03, 09:52 PM
Rejuvenate corpse gives 50 hp from a 3rd level cleric spell vs. inflict critical's 18 or so or inflict light's 9.5. It takes 16 minutes, though you can cast it multiple times to heal multiple undead at once.

Otherwise, maybe a wand of inflict light wounds. By strict RAW the positive energy plane will heal undead to full and give them infinite temp hp, but it also says undead are almost impossible to find on the positive energy plane. So I think the intent is that it actually damages them.

Mountain
2014-05-03, 10:15 PM
1. What kind of undead are we talking about here? what class/level? If they possess an Energy Drain special, HP becomes rather arbitrary.

I should have been more specific. The character in question is a necropolitan factotum/chameleon. (I'm the one who made the thread about increasing HP on an undead PC.)

That means cleric/druid/bard/assassin/whatever spells will be available, but not early in the game. Also, the DM is extremely against giving treasure to pcs. We'll probably have about 1/4 the expected wealth at any given level, and some resources are already going toward disguising the undead-ness of the character.

So... no energy drain attack, ToB is available and encouraged, ToM is even allowed, Leadership feat is not allowed, although cohorts/minions might be accessible through some other means.

Yorrin
2014-05-03, 10:19 PM
ToM is even allowed

Well, if you're not willing to spend a level on Dread Necro I dont suppose you'd want to spend 5 plus a feat (or 7 without) to bind Buer as a vestige? Another thought is an eternal wand of Inflict Wounds, though that might be a bit slow.

137beth
2014-05-03, 10:35 PM
The positive energy plane gives a source of healing for undead (unless I'm mistaken it works for constructs too):
Undead benefit from the Fast Healing provided by the PEP like anyone else. Additionally, staying on the PEP allows you to amass an arbitrary temporary hit-point total. Stay on the positive energy plane for a year? You get 26280000 temporary hit points! They all go away if you leave the positive energy plane for 1d20 rounds, though, so make sure you have a way to plane shift back. Even if you can't stay there for a long time, it gives you normal healing.
A living creature who tries this will die from the fortitude saves. But undead are immune to effects which require fortitude saves that don't work on objects!

If you are a native to the positive energy plane, than Planar Bubble (SpC or Planar Handbook) allows you to carry the benefits with you.
Otherwise, capture and shrink a positive energy plane native and carry them around with you:smallbiggrin:

(Idea courtesy of Tippy)

Renen
2014-05-03, 11:21 PM
Unlikely you qualify, but shadow sun ninja has some healing...

Xerlith
2014-05-04, 02:50 AM
Resetting trap of Inflict Light Wounds? Cheap, easy, inifinite.

Crake
2014-05-04, 02:53 AM
Rod of Enervating Strike, Magic Item Compendium page 57. It's a +1 Heavy Mace (1d8 damage for a medium creature) that casts Inflict Light Wounds at 1d8+5 whenever it hits anyone. Get a minion with a negative strength modifier (perhaps a skeleton of a Venerable Gnome commoner, -4 strength mod) and have it hit the undead target repeatedly. 18,312 gp, plus the cost of the minion. There are other ways, but it really depends on the build, the type of undead, and so on. The Rod of Eneverating Strike will work for any undead.

Or just hit yourself for nonlethal damage. You're immune to the nonlethal, but still take the neg energy, which heals you.

gooddragon1
2014-05-04, 03:30 AM
Maximum cheese?

MARTIAL SPIRIT
Devoted Spirit (Stance)
Level: Crusader 1
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Stance

As you cleave through your foes, each ferocious attack you make lends vigor and strength to you and your allies. While you are in this stance, you or an ally within 30 feet heals 2 points of damage each time you make a successful melee attack. This healing represents the vigor, drive, and toughness you inspire in others. Your connection to the divine causes such inspiration to have a real, tangible effect on your allies’ health. Each time you hit an opponent in melee, you can choose a different recipient within range to receive this healing.

Tag, you're it = a successful melee attack.

The second part is needless. You can choose a different recipient using it if you want to. Or you can just declare each individual attack to heal a target.

Incidentally, infinite healing for constructs and people too. Maaaaaybe you can argue objects like walls... but I don't know if a wall without sentience can really be an ally.

Erik Vale
2014-05-04, 05:04 AM
I dunno, if it's keeping out people who want to kill you I'd consider it allied...
Or just cast animate object.

ericgrau
2014-05-04, 10:00 AM
Stone tell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneTell.htm) the wall to chat it up. Since it will tell you anything even what it's hiding it must be your ally. Or heck, ask it if it wants to be tougher. Bet it says yes. Now it's your ally.

Cloud
2014-05-04, 10:20 AM
I rather like the Necrosis Carnex option that was mentioned. If I did necromancy without being a Dread Necromancer, I wouldn't leave home without 2 or 3 of them. Their aura is also pretty nice if you want to risk them in combat.

Eldonauran
2014-05-04, 12:18 PM
There's the Evolved Undead template from Libris Mortis. It grants Fast Healing 3, Natural Armor +1, a spell-like ability and boosts Str and Cha by +2. All for a LA+1, which can bought off eventually.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-04, 01:34 PM
Level 1 Shadowsun Ninja from Tome of Battle. So long as there's at least one living and undead person in the party, it's infinite healing. You do [unarmed damage + Wisdom] negative energy to one target, then the same amount as positive energy healing to another, alternating each round.