View Full Version : Sigilspeak?

Xhosant
2014-05-03, 05:32 PM
Sigilspeak? What is it?

Brookshw
2014-05-03, 07:05 PM
Sigilspeak? What is it?

Clueless, ye want the dark then there's one cutter you need to speak with, the berk'll give ye the chant if ya jink be good (no stingers). Ask 'im 'ere (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?317316-afroakuma-s-Planar-Questions-Thread-IV/page39).

Falcon X
2014-05-04, 01:17 PM
As Brookshw beat me to giving the most appropriate answer to this question, I'll have to give the most plain one:

Sigilspeak is the slang and jargon of the people that live in the city of Sigil. Sigil is the city at the center of the Planescape setting in 2nd edition. Crossing over into 3rd edition, Mote Cook wrote most of Planescape into the default setting. Thus, if you end up going to the Outer Planes, there's a good chance you can expect to run into somebody who uses Sigilspeak, as many planar explorers use it as a base of operations.

Think of Gangsterspeak for the tone. Sigil has a feel of a dystopia. Think of a classic Italian mafia person saying something like "Listen up Dollface, we don't want the Fuzz crashing in. So, you keep that noise-hole of your shut. Kapeesh?"

Some common examples of Sigilspeak are:
Jink= cash or payment
Basher, Berk, or Cutter= kind've like "dude", "brother", or other word that people use in reference to another person that replaces their name.
The Dark= Information that nobody knows for sure. Or the hidden information that only that person knows.
The Chant= What people say. Rumors. Common information.
Clueless= Usually people from the Prime Material plane. Clueless are people who don't know what they're doing on the planes.

I'd get a copy of the videogame Planescape: Torment if you get a chance.

Xhosant
2014-05-04, 01:39 PM
Great answers, both of em :smallbiggrin:

Thanks, Cutters!

Brookshw
2014-05-04, 02:50 PM
Good old games (gog.com) has torment, a fantastic game still! Worth your time and a great introduction to sigil.

Also to add to previous vernacular: cutter/blood: someone who knows what's up. There are some degrees of capacity not especially well defined between berk/badger/cutter/blood, probably ascending as I've outlined them.

Also stinger= silver pieces.

Blackjackg
2014-05-04, 03:07 PM
There's a 2-page glossary of the Cant at the back of Sigil and Beyond, one of the books that came in the original Planescape box set. If you've got some way to get your hands on a copy, it's a useful reference.

EDIT: Also, as I recall "Berk" is generally derogatory, though sometimes in an affectionate way (like when you call your friend a loser). "Basher" is specifically a warrior, one who bashes heads in. "Cutter" is like basher, but it's a term of respect. A good basher is a cutter, a bad basher is a berk. To say nothing of the addle-coves, barmies and bubbers.

Xhosant
2014-05-04, 03:22 PM
Don't you know the chant, Cutter? There's no blinds if you know the Dark about the Cage.