PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What do you think of this? (Random Level up speeds)

killem2
2014-05-03, 08:50 PM
Not saying I would do it, because it seems risky, but it just popped into my head and I wanted to ask what you all thought of it.

What I mean is, in Pathfinder there are three level up progressions, slow, medium, fast. If your DM had asked you to roll a 1d3 at the beginning of the session and say slow is 1, medium is 2, and fast is 3 and whatever you rolled that's the progression you were stuck with, what would you think?

Or as a side note,

what if you split the level up speeds based on the classes listed on starting age.

Like sorcerers would level up fast, but wizards would level up slow.

jaydubs
2014-05-03, 09:02 PM
I never understood the benefit of having player characters at different levels. So I wouldn't be a fan of either.

Yawgmoth
2014-05-03, 09:04 PM
Both of those are awful ideas and I would thank the DM for showing me just how bad he is at running a game so early so I don't waste my time.

killem2
2014-05-03, 09:13 PM
Both of those are awful ideas and I would thank the DM for showing me just how bad he is at running a game so early so I don't waste my time.

The two are mutually exclusive of course. I too would probably question the reason for it, but I don't recall any difference in leveling since 2nd edition D&D. (prolly why it died with it LOL)

:smallbiggrin:

JusticeZero
2014-05-04, 01:21 AM
I suppose that there might be some merit to tiers affecting level speed - 2e did that to some extent - but I don't think it would be worth the hassle to do, particularly given how it wouldn't approximate the Quadratic nature of the classes in question.

OldTrees1
2014-05-04, 01:59 AM
Not saying I would do it, because it seems risky, but it just popped into my head and I wanted to ask what you all thought of it.

What I mean is, in Pathfinder there are three level up progressions, slow, medium, fast. If your DM had asked you to roll a 1d3 at the beginning of the session and say slow is 1, medium is 2, and fast is 3 and whatever you rolled that's the progression you were stuck with, what would you think?

As long as it was rerolled each session and was fair across the board(so "No." to the second idea), I would be initially unsettled(it is change for little apparent gain) but I would quickly get used to it and perhaps even enjoy the occasional level imbalances in the party.