PDA

View Full Version : 'Oh no, I've lost my soul!' now what?

Vaz
2014-05-04, 06:38 AM
Was playing in a game last night, when my Barbarian (Low Wis and Int) was offered the chance to sell his soul (As was the rest of the party).

The parties paladin outright refused, but the parties Lawful Incarnate/Ardent/Soul Manifester is considering it, as am I. The party 'guide' being a Tiefling Archivist said yes, but it is DM controlled.

However, what happens to me if I lose my soul? Is this essentially just another respurce I can choose to spend like WBL?

And what about from the personage who has the soul? What can they do with it?

Erik Vale
2014-05-04, 06:51 AM
RAW?
They can destroy it in a spell/use it in crafting... Based on certain spells you would lose your body. They could 'Sacrifice' it to a god, condemning you to that gods plane of existence and probably loosing control as well... Bound you to a certain plane of existence of their choosing [i.e. hell, but maybe a hook for you to be a ghost, permanently].

... Assuming your DM's using certain fiendish codex rules [I think that is the right line of books], the only thing that happens is that your consigned to plane of existance [normally hell] and resurection becomes a lot harder, in exchange for some boons based on the specific pact and your level.

Muggins
2014-05-04, 07:34 AM
Keep in mind that selling your soul means forfeiting your ownership. Its new owner could, if it so desired, retain your soul indefinitely after your death - natural or otherwise. Resurrection magic almost universally requires a free and willing soul to function. If your buyer has any stakes that you're involved in, owning your soul makes it easy to take you out of the game should you perish. Maybe even before that.

Granted, your barbarian has a low intelligence and wisdom. He's not going to be thinking about that, and it's probably better if it comes from someone with greater knowledge of death. Alternatively, maybe he does realise the importance of his soul and must weigh it against the payoff. Unfortunately you've failed to mention what you're getting out of this, but I'd assume that it's something good.

Also, a soulmelder who lacks a soul himself might be problematic. The only time it comes up is with the Undead Meldshaper feat in Magic of Incarnum, but the DM might be using that as a baseline for more devious measures.

boxfox
2014-05-04, 09:38 AM
The bottom line is that it depends on your DM.

Which sources DM is using / has read.
DM's understanding of said books.
Degree of DM home-brewing involved.
DM's specific plans for these souls, their current and possible owners, and the campaign in general.

Take the advice from those above me (good advice) and run it through this "DM filter". Since you're the only one who knows your DM, you're the only one who can make the call.

Also, I'm interested in what rewards were offered.