PDA

View Full Version : Loaded dice?

EdgarVerona
2007-02-11, 02:54 PM
Okay, this is a really silly question... but are the dice that came with the game loaded or anything?

The first time we played (was a while ago), no one could roll higher than a 4. We must've rolled both the red and the blue dice 30-40 times, and never got higher than that... except once, someone rolled an 8. I remember that it only happened once because the whole table erupted into cheers as if the roller had just won the lottery. =) It was actually kind of funny and amusing, but after an hour or so of it, it started to get frustrating.

I went over to my handy Sack-o-Dice and pulled out a few D12 that I had from purchased dice, and immediately the dice rolls began to become more sane and evenly distributed from a statistical perspective.

Was it insane statistical fluke, or is there a chance that some of the dice produced for the game were malformed/in some way loaded? If so, was it intentional? No big deal (I'm using my own dice now), but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this and/or if it was an intentional loading of the dice to make the game more difficult. =)

Raistlin1040
2007-02-11, 03:10 PM
Fluke. I've rolled a D20 before and got 3 ones in a row. Just a fluke. I've also gotten 12's on the dice in the game so it's just a coincedance.

Edna
2007-02-11, 03:35 PM
Okay, this is a really silly question... but are the dice that came with the game loaded or anything?

We have not done any sort of statistical analysis, so this was just a feeling, but the red die in our set seems to roll a lot of ones. My husband and son insist on using the blue one now, even when they're attacking.

Maybe I'll put the kids to work on getting a good sample of rolls...

Edna

SilverSabre25
2007-02-11, 06:49 PM
I think that sometimes when dice are made, bubbles can form and make them roll badly. That would cause them to seem loaded, albeit unintentionally. Ours are fine and roll pretty evenly.

Korias
2007-02-11, 09:11 PM
Start marking down what you roll. If the dice come up with a low score as the highest (Ie: 56 ones, 4 2s, 23 3s, 1 four, 0 fives or sixes), then use your own dice, or buy new ones. Their is no way somebodies luck is that bad...

EdgarVerona
2007-02-11, 11:59 PM
Aye, I think I'm going to have a rolling session some time just to check (marking down the # of 1-4's this time), but I'm definately using my own dice when I play now. =) The bubble theory might be what happened. No biggie since I have so many dice, I'd just never seen something like it before for that long... I mean, I had to have rolled at least 50 times with just that one instance of an 8.

But no worries =)

ghost_warlock
2007-02-12, 09:09 AM
The first game I played in the dice seemed to roll pretty evenly. Last night when I played in a 2-player game, however, the dice seemed to have it in for us and seemed to disproportionately result in 3's and 4's. I finally started rolling a bit better on the third floor of the dungeon, but by that time it was late and we were ready to pack it in and go to bed. :smallfrown: