Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short (25 ft. +5/level)
Area: 20ft. radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Spell resistance

This spell functions exactly like Evards Black Tentacles except as noted below. For as long as the spell is in effect, you can cast any spell of fourth level or lower with a range of touch through one of the tentacles. You cast the spell exactly as you would if casting it normally, except that the charge goes to one of the tentacles (your choice.) If that tentacle grapples an opponent, the touch spell is immediately discharged at that opponent. Spell resistance and saving throws apply normally to the touch spell.

Comments? Like it? hate it? Find it useless? How's the level? Should I improve any other aspects of the tentacles? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jack_Simth
2007-02-11, 03:41 PM
So... it's Black Tentacles (4th) + Project Image (7th) - talking and the appearence of you?

A little too strong, methinks.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-11, 04:20 PM
Well....yeah. Jack pretty much summed it up, but there is a way to fix it. Simply make it so that the tentacles must be centered upon the caster, and maybe cut the range down to fifteen feet. Also, make it a move action to maintain, so that the caster can choose to either cast a spell or shoot a crossbow on his other action, and that such action require a concentration check or lose the tentacles. Honestly, this is powerful enough to warrant ALL of those restrictions, and maybe a bump up to seventh level, but that may be a bit of a stretch.

And also, Glooble, are you still working with 3rd edition sourcebooks? Because the 'Evards' was eliminated from the spell name in 3.5.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-11, 05:32 PM
What if I limited it to touch spells of 3rd level or lower? And I'm working with a 3.5 PH, and it definately says Evards.

Macrovore
2007-02-12, 01:07 AM
glooble is right. it is evards

but where are evard's spiked tentacles of forced intrusion?:smalleek:

Demented
2007-02-12, 03:16 AM
Hopefully hidden away in some dark, damp, moldy corner of the homebrew forum, where no eyes shall ever set ... sight on them again. Much like VT's Flay spell, though beyond the initial shock, it wasn't as bad.

Wizard_Tom
2007-02-12, 01:45 PM
Sounds like Black Tentacles + Spectral hand...

Jack_Simth
2007-02-13, 07:13 AM
Sounds like Black Tentacles + Spectral hand...Spectral Hand is limited to 3rd or 4th level spells, costs HP, and spends an action prepping. Quicken it, and it's a 6th level spell that does nothing for you directly.

This thing is a 6th level spell that does stuff directly (hurts opponents as per Bleck Tentacles) AND can channel spells (such as, say, Otto's to keep them from going anywhere).

icke
2007-02-13, 09:58 AM
Hmmm...

Make it spell level 7, range short(25 feet + 5 feet per two levels) and limit it to touch spells of spell level four or less. Then it would be fine.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-13, 07:48 PM
Sounds good. I didn't realize it was so overpowered.

icke
2007-02-14, 07:17 AM
Sounds good. I didn't realize it was so overpowered.

Glooble's Bouncing Doom? Remember? Same problem, but that's what this board is for...