PDA

View Full Version : Need help on rulings, please post quotes.

Bellberith
2014-05-04, 01:03 PM
Okay i need help with this ruling and i need quotes to back up any answers if possible.

the gist of it is one of my friends is saying that Racial hit dice do not count toward exp needed to gain new levels.

basically if you have 2 class levels, 3 LA and 2 racial hit dice. you gain experience as if you were a level 7 and level up as if you were a level 5.

what i am trying to say is that you level up based on ECL and gain exp based on ECL. so not only would you level up when a level 7 levels up. but also gain exp as if a level 7 would gain exp.

please come and post who is right (if either of us is.) correct us if we are both wrong. and please post quotes from text if possible.

Thanks again guys =D

pwykersotz
2014-05-04, 01:26 PM
From the SRD:

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level

To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

Bellberith
2014-05-04, 02:31 PM
From the SRD:

Is there a way i can find out what page and what book says this?

perfect information. thank you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-04, 02:40 PM
Is there a way i can find out what page and what book says this?

perfect information. thank you.

Bottom of this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm), or DMG page 172, starting at the bottom of the first column. It uses more words than the SRD, but the second sentence under 'Starting Level of a Monster PC' at the bottom of the first column on the page, and the first sentence at the top of the second column on the page, have what you're looking for.

Edit: Also note, racial hit dice, like all other racial traits, are never optional. You must take the race's level adjustment, you must take its racial hit dice, and you must take any other drawbacks of a race such as light sensitivity/blindness. You cannot decide not to take one or more of a given creature's racial traits.

Bellberith
2014-05-04, 03:14 PM
Bottom of this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm), or DMG page 172, starting at the bottom of the first column. It uses more words than the SRD, but the second sentence under 'Starting Level of a Monster PC' at the bottom of the first column on the page, and the first sentence at the top of the second column on the page, have what you're looking for.

Edit: Also note, racial hit dice, like all other racial traits, are never optional. You must take the race's level adjustment, you must take its racial hit dice, and you must take any other drawbacks of a race such as light sensitivity/blindness. You cannot decide not to take one or more of a given creature's racial traits.

Thank you.

nedz
2014-05-04, 05:13 PM
The only exception is if the race has 1 RHD. You get to exchange this for your first Class level.

Humanoids and Class Levels

Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.