PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Character Concept: Kommander Strakhov

ArqArturo
2014-05-04, 01:34 PM
A friend wants to start playing a game of PF, it's his first time GMing the game (he has DMed 3.5, 3rd, 4e let's not discuss that and nWoD), and we're playing in Rhune (http://rhunedawnoftwilight.com/). I want to play a ranged-esque character with focus on AoEs, as well as lobbying grenades. Alchemist is the first choice, but the Spellslinger archetype seems interesting. And, as the name suggests, I want to play him as a PF version of Strakhov (http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/mkiiStrakhov) from Warmachine. To describe him, here's the fluff:

Few soldiers are as hated and feared by the Motherland’s enemies as Kommander Oleg Strakhov. Strakhov takes pride in the fact that he has never refused a mission, no matter how dangerous. Although he prefers to rely on his physical superiority, his potent arcane abilities have been refined to aid him in the shock assaults in which he excels. Strakhov and his ‘jacks launch brutal strikes against enemy positions, slaughtering the enemy before they can react. With each engagement, Strakhov changes the face of warfare in the Iron Kingdoms to match his vision of bloody excellence.

I rolled stats, and these are the numbers:

18, 14, 14, 15, 16, 9.

So far, the Alchemist with the grenadier archetype, plus grabbing a Bomb thrower or two (they're destroyed after each use) might work, but I also like the Spellslinger archetype... Maybe both? I dunno. But, here are my ideas:

Build 1.- Strakhov the Grenadier

Str 14
Dex 15
Con 18
Int 16 (turned 18)
Wis 14
Cha 9

Feats: Extra Bombs, Point Blank Shot
Strategy: Focuses on lobbying bombs, and survives fairly well with decend HP. Not a lot in the INT department, but sufficient to be decent.

Build 1.- Strakhov the Spellslinger Wizard

Str 9
Dex 16 (Turned 18)
Con 15
Int 18
Wis 14
Cha 14

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Amateur Gunslinger (Deed: either Deadeye Shot or Gunslinger's dodge)
Prohibited Schools: Necromancy, Illusion, Enchantment, Conjuration
Strategy: Spam spells to improve the DC of AoE spells, and improve to maybe getting Focused Shot if I prefer to stick with guns instead of spells, depending on how the game progresses (in which case multiclassing to Gunslinger might be a good idea). Additionally, a dip in sorcerer might help with getting cantrips and spam low-level buffs such as True Strike.

I've also thought about the Myrmidach archetype from the Magus, but it seems to be a little not quite in the direction I'd wish to go.

In a nutshell this is what I'd like to do:

1.- Move in and out of combat, lobbying AoE damage and effects
2.- Some magic, in the shape of buffs

The game starts at lvl 1, I've no idea what the other players will be playing, and I think we'll be doing a lot of bandit-hunting.