PDA

View Full Version : what prc deserves a handbook?

CyberThread
2014-05-04, 02:18 PM
Looking for something to do. What prc do you think deserVes a handbook

Vaz
2014-05-04, 02:54 PM
Which do YOU want to do?

ArqArturo
2014-05-04, 02:58 PM
Other than what Vaz said, I think dual casters deserve some lovin', as well as PrCs that help warlocks.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-04, 03:04 PM
Id say any one that needs some lovin, probably half of the ones in Complete Adventurer lol id love to see a Combat Trapsmith or a Trapsmith handbook personally

Blackjackg
2014-05-04, 03:05 PM
Other than what Vaz said, I think dual casters deserve some lovin', as well as PrCs that help warlocks.

Narrowing down from that, how about the Arcane Heirophant from Races of the Wild? Lots of interesting choices to make.

WhamBamSam
2014-05-04, 03:51 PM
Id say any one that needs some lovin, probably half of the ones in Complete Adventurer lol id love to see a Combat Trapsmith or a Trapsmith handbook personallyI love the Trapsmith. I'd do a handbook for it myself, but there's some housekeeping and updating that the Dragon Handbook needs first. I'll certainly be happy to help if anyone does decide to make one.

Werephilosopher
2014-05-04, 03:57 PM

Eldritch Disciple is both, and could use a good handbook imo.

Zombulian
2014-05-04, 04:22 PM
Eldritch Disciple is both, and could use a good handbook imo.

Eldritch Disciple is pretty rad. Healing allies with your glaive n shiz.

ArqArturo
2014-05-04, 04:33 PM
Eldritch Disciple is pretty rad. Healing allies with your glaive n shiz.

I had an ED of Thor that healed allies from a distance. And he cackled like a madman while doing so.

Amphetryon
2014-05-04, 07:11 PM
Edit: Never mind.

Pluto!
2014-05-04, 07:11 PM
I was thinking about this a couple years ago, and what I came up with was the Pious Templar.

Hear me out.

The class is pretty much a niche 1-level dip, but it shares spell lists with both the Blackguard and the Paladin, both of which are core classes with lots of splatbook support included in their "spellcasting" class feature, but neither of those classes has a good index-style handbook compile and give feedback on the various obscure options within any spell level (I mean, there's the The Spellbook thing, but that's a project whose scope undermines its usefulness).

The other details of the PrC (the races/feats/acfs whatever) aren't particularly important, but comprehensive, well-indexed and purposeful Pally/Blackguard spell list breakdowns are the two documents I've most wished I could find when prepping characters or NPCs, and those guidebooks and a PT guidebook are about one opening paragraph different.

Pluto!
2014-05-04, 07:22 PM
^What's the problem with the existing one (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1060931)?

RavynsLand
2014-05-04, 07:27 PM
Eldritch Theurge/Eldritch Disciple could use some love.
The various Incarnum blends like Soulcaster and Sapphire Heirarch.
I'd like to see one for Eternal Blade and Master of Nine.

*shrug*

Amphetryon
2014-05-04, 07:52 PM
^What's the problem with the existing one (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1060931)?

Off the top of my head? Its age, the relative traffic there versus here for GitP regulars, the formatting. . . .

Seriously, we have multiple versions of several handbooks. Are you saying you categorically think none of them deserve more than one, or was there something particular to this suggestion that deserved a specific call-out?

eggynack
2014-05-04, 07:57 PM
Off the top of my head? Its age, the relative traffic there versus here for GitP regulars, the formatting. . . .

Seriously, we have multiple versions of several handbooks. Are you saying you categorically think none of them deserve more than one, or was there something particular to this suggestion that deserved a specific call-out?
Is there any particular actual functionality you think the original is missing? I mean, if it's just a matter of positioning, then the correct maneuver could just be getting permission for a transfer of some kind, but it's quite possible that the handbook is missing something important. It could just be that the entire thing is too sparse, or it could be particular advances in optimization that make such a change necessary.

Amphetryon
2014-05-04, 08:35 PM
Is there any particular actual functionality you think the original is missing? I mean, if it's just a matter of positioning, then the correct maneuver could just be getting permission for a transfer of some kind, but it's quite possible that the handbook is missing something important. It could just be that the entire thing is too sparse, or it could be particular advances in optimization that make such a change necessary.

Message received. Consider the suggestion redacted.

Pluto!
2014-05-04, 08:35 PM
Seriously, we have multiple versions of several handbooks. Are you saying you categorically think none of them deserve more than one, or was there something particular to this suggestion that deserved a specific call-out?Dude, be more defensive.

The way you proposed a MoMF handbook made me suspect you weren't aware of the one that exists already, and since it's not a bad one, questioning what holes need filling is pretty reasonable.

eggynack
2014-05-04, 08:41 PM
Message received. Consider the suggestion redacted.
Alrighty then. I was mostly just curious, because handbooks are often missing stuff, especially when they're old enough to be missing some of the more up to date optimization trends out there.

Talar
2014-05-04, 11:03 PM
I would say any that has a lot of book keeping/options that might confuse people. I try to stay away from handbooks preferring to work things out for myself till I get lost in all my options I have for a particular concept or class.

Kennisiou
2014-05-04, 11:33 PM
Apostle of the Peace.

Of the extremely limited options available to the class, what are the best ones?

Acolyte of the Skin.

It's considered a bad prestige class, and it is, but it's also a cool as heck prestige class. How can you make it less bad?

Master of Many Forms already has a handbook but it's a bit poorly edited and seems to lack a lot of options as it looks like it was made while 3.5 books were still being published.

ArqArturo
2014-05-05, 01:22 AM
Under that vein, Fochlucan Lyrist.

It's the second weirdest Dual class (not exactly the worst one, though), and to be honest, it sort of does have potential.

Dr. Azkur
2014-05-05, 01:53 AM
How about a Soulblade Handbook? That wouldn't be half bad.

It could even have its own section on how to convince your DM that it's a psionic class and thus elegible for Talashatora.

TiaC
2014-05-05, 02:45 AM
I'd be interested in a handbook about the utility of PrCs in Gestalt.

Deathra13
2014-05-05, 04:20 AM
Id like to see a rage mage handbook myself.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-05, 04:25 AM
Bit obscure, but I'd like to see someone tackle the Gnome Artificer from Magic of Faerūn. No, not a Gnome (race) Artificer (base class), I mean the prestige class that makes non-magical items that, for game purposes, emulate various spells.

A.A.King
2014-05-05, 04:56 AM
Personally I would like to see a better guide to Sneak Attack Casters. There exist one but I feel it is inadequate. There quite a few different ways of doing the SA Caster so it would be nice to have a proper guide for it.

Hamste
2014-05-05, 06:04 AM
A wild mage handbook could be interesting.

ben-zayb
2014-05-05, 06:48 AM
Shadowbane Stalker? Grayguard?

I mean, I'm quite surprised nobody made a TDK reference yet.