PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Bones

noparlpf
2014-05-04, 03:32 PM
I want to clean some animal bones, including skulls. I've read a lot of conflicting information online. Is it safe to simmer in a dilute bleach solution or not? Does this also destroy periodontal ligaments and the mandibular symphysis? (Not sure what species have fused mandibles or not, so I'd rather just be careful there.) How about adding sodium carbonate or bicarbonate? Also, I have one skull with some meat that was preserved in formalin, and I'm worried about heating that.

warty goblin
2014-05-04, 03:37 PM
I've done the boiling in bleach water trick. It takes off pretty much everything not bone, although I can't say I've ever done a lower jaw to know if affects that. It also smells pretty vile; I suggest doing it outside if at all possible. It's also probably worth getting as much of the flesh off as possible before boiling, this isn't terribly hard to do.

Otherwise you can roll oldschool, and just put the stuff in a bucket with some holes in it and tape it to a tree. Bugs'll do the rest, though it can take a while.

Palanan
2014-05-11, 11:03 AM
Mammal specimens for museum collections are exposed to dermestid beetle larvae, which are ruthlessly efficient at scouring every last fleck of flesh. This is usually done in the collections prep room, under controlled conditions, as part of a longer treatment process.

As you point out, there's a lot of random information online, and I wouldn't trust any of it. Your best bet, especially if you haven't done this before, is to call a natural history museum or a university near you and talk with someone who's an expert at the process.

noparlpf
2014-05-11, 11:07 AM
I know about dermestids, I just had no idea where to find any. Do you know if they leave ligaments or cartilage behind? Also, they're obviously no good for the formalin-preserved skull I have.

Maybe I'll ask my Zoology prof. after the review this week. I don't usually get a chance to talk to him after class.

Palanan
2014-05-11, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by noparlpf
I know about dermestids, I just had no idea where to find any.

My former advisor loves to tell the story of making a road trip to New Mexico to find the dermestids he used for his museum work. He found a cave in New Mexico teeming with bats, and thus teeming with dermestids.

I'd steer clear of the formalin skull until you have a better understanding of the procedures involved. Whether for a student project or personal interest, I'd strongly suggest professional guidance from someone who does museum prep work.

Telok
2014-05-12, 02:14 AM
I would actually suggest that you get in good with your local taxidermist. They can advise you (try bringing a few good beers) and know where to get the supplies they you may need.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-12, 03:05 AM
Just make sure you do the boiling far, far away from anyone you know and love. If Dirty Jobs is anything to go by, it's a damn funky funk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R7eqMug-wo).

noparlpf
2014-05-12, 09:15 AM
I would actually suggest that you get in good with your local taxidermist. They can advise you (try bringing a few good beers) and know where to get the supplies they you may need.

Come to think of it, maybe somebody at the nature center I volunteer at knows something. They have several skeletons on display for the schoolkids who come through.
(I can't bring beers. I'm barely twenty. America is silly like that.)

Just make sure you do the boiling far, far away from anyone you know and love. If Dirty Jobs is anything to go by, it's a damn funky funk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R7eqMug-wo).

I thought I might do it in my grandmother's kitchen. :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2014-05-12, 09:32 AM
I thought I might do it in my grandmother's kitchen. :smalltongue:

Yeah, no. Out of doors on a woodfire is the way to go with this.

Palanan
2014-05-12, 02:21 PM
Better yet, avoid the formalin skull entirely until you can find someone with professional expertise.

Speaking of which, based on long experience with people in nature centers, I wouldn't put much stock in their advice. Most nature centers have a small collection of skulls (or BoneClones, which are durable but expensive) but that doesn't mean any of the interpreters have personal experience preparing the material. You'll put them in the position of trying to sound authoritative on a topic they know very little about, which won't get you the advice you need.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of talking with a museum professional before you try anything yourself. I've worked in mammal collections for years, and I wouldn't try specimen prep without talking to a colleague first.

noparlpf
2014-05-12, 02:22 PM
Yeah, and anyway the people I work with are in animal care and rehab, so they probably don't clean bones.

Karoht
2014-05-15, 05:53 PM
I have a friend who is a certified embalmer. I'll see what we can come up with.

EDIT
Taxidermist and funeral home people will likely point you to DriCav and SanVeino. IF they do point you this direction, follow the directions on the labels to the letter.

Rubbing alcohol *should* work just fine if you take your time with it. Probably a heck of a lot safer.

Serpentine
2014-05-28, 02:52 AM
Your best bet, especially if you haven't done this before, is to call a natural history museum or a university near you and talk with someone who's an expert at the process.That was gonna be my suggestion.
Did You Know... The Queensland Museum cleans whale bones by taking them out to a sewerage plant and leaving it out for dogs and maggots to gnaw at :smallbiggrin: