PDA

View Full Version : Ray of Dizziness v Flyby Attack

RolandDeschain
2014-05-04, 06:28 PM
As the title suggests how do these two things interact?

If a wizard were to hit a dragon with a Ray of Dizziness as it's diving on the party to unleash it's breath weapon, AND it gets through the dragon's spell resistance, what would happen?

I think the language of the spell is pretty clear, but you never know...

Grayson01
2014-05-04, 10:04 PM
If the Wizzard Ready and the Dragon had (since flyby attack figure it has) taken a move action it would lose it's action to use it's breath weapon. It would have to land in order to attack unless it has perfect maneuverability and can hover (unless hovering is a move action have to look that up). Okay the Feat hover says if you have the feat you can Hover as a Move action and if you begin a turn hovering can make a full round action. However the maneuverability chart from the SRD says Perfect and good can hover but does not say what kind of action it is. I am going to assume the same rules apply with out the feat.

So for the duration of the spell the Dragon would lose it's chance to use it's breath weapon on the first strike. Then it would have to as a move action ether land on it's next move (unless it used the rest of it's movement from it's flyby) or Hover. Then on it's next turn (3rd turn. Flyby 1, land or hover 2) it could use it's Breathweapon while hovering or while on the ground.

RolandDeschain
2014-05-05, 07:13 AM
If the Wizzard Ready and the Dragon had (since flyby attack figure it has) taken a move action it would lose it's action to use it's breath weapon. It would have to land in order to attack unless it has perfect maneuverability and can hover (unless hovering is a move action have to look that up). Okay the Feat hover says if you have the feat you can Hover as a Move action and if you begin a turn hovering can make a full round action. However the maneuverability chart from the SRD says Perfect and good can hover but does not say what kind of action it is. I am going to assume the same rules apply with out the feat.

So for the duration of the spell the Dragon would lose it's chance to use it's breath weapon on the first strike. Then it would have to as a move action ether land on it's next move (unless it used the rest of it's movement from it's flyby) or Hover. Then on it's next turn (3rd turn. Flyby 1, land or hover 2) it could use it's Breathweapon while hovering or while on the ground.

Thank you. This pretty much how I was seeing it....