PDA

View Full Version : Need +1LA Template to boost my INT

Dalasio
2014-05-04, 06:32 PM
Just as the title says, does anyone know of a template that would increase my intelligence by at least +2?

Also, preferably no hit to DEX but STR and CON are fine.

OldTrees1
2014-05-04, 06:49 PM
I searched and the only one I found was Voidmind[MM3] (+2Int for +1LA)

Aethir
2014-05-04, 06:59 PM

Crystalkeep got that wrong, Voidmind is LA+3. As for the topic at hand...I honestly can't recall any, sorry.

Dalasio
2014-05-04, 07:00 PM
That Template's LA is +3.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Ansem
2014-05-04, 07:14 PM
Phrenic is your best bet, LA+2, get +2 INT and CHA if I remember right and a lot of Psionic Powers to use limited amount per day based on your HD.
Actually pretty good if you can buy off the LA.

Studoku
2014-05-04, 08:08 PM
What base race?

Dalasio
2014-05-04, 08:10 PM
What base race?
He's a Dwarf.

John Longarrow
2014-05-05, 10:32 AM
Can you switch to Grey Elf?? (No LA) They get +2 Int.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-05, 10:40 AM
There's a subrace of dwarves presented in the 3.0e Mind's Eye Archives over at WotC that have a +2 to both Constitution and Intelligence (Alethien Dwarves, if I recall correctly).

Gildedragon
2014-05-05, 10:50 AM
In dragon magazine there is the deep template la 0 or 1 boosts int with a STR penalty iirc

Aerlock
2014-05-05, 11:13 AM
There's a subrace of dwarves presented in the 3.0e Mind's Eye Archives over at WotC that have a +2 to both Constitution and Intelligence (Alethien Dwarves, if I recall correctly).

Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030926a) you go. Not sure how to convert the 3.0 psi-likes but it looks like what the OP is after.

- Aerlock

AnonymousPepper
2014-05-05, 11:22 AM
Aleithian Dwarf really is the best race by a long shot for a wizard or psion.

HOWEVER.

If you're willing to eat the level adjustment... here's a twist. Go Half-Giant (medium giant (EPH) +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, Naturally Psionic, Powerful Build, Stomp, Psychic Warrior), LA+1. Then take the Primordial Giant template (LA+0). Secrets of Xen'drik, -4 Str, -2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Cha, Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate at-will (CL = HD), +1 CL to all spell-like abilities, any one Knowledge skill as a class skill, +2 racial bonus to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device. Yes, the con penalty hurts. But for LA+1, you're getting a crap ton of great SLAs, a racial bonus to spellcraft and UMD, and above all else a +4 to INT.

animewatcha
2014-05-05, 11:42 AM
There is an optional savage progression for half-giant somewhere IIRC. If using dragon mag, LA +1 half-ogre template. Slap primordial onto it for +2 int as an end amongst other things.

Gemini476
2014-05-05, 11:47 AM
In dragon magazine there is the deep template la 0 or 1 boosts int with a STR penalty iirc

Deep is LA+1.

There's also Prodigy, from DMG2: LA+2 for +2 to any ability score and +3(IIRC) to skill checks using that ability score.

Deep and Prodigy are the only ones I know of that neither change your type nor require you to have 3 or higher intelligence to begin with.

Metahuman1
2014-05-05, 11:49 AM
You could also use the elemental race variant rules for make it a fire half giant for +2 Int -2 Cha. Then add primordial and buy off the LA.

For an added kicker, see if you can talk your DM into making Planetouched and there lesser versions templates, you know, like they really should be anyway if any designers had a lick of sense. Then add Lesser Tiefling for +2 to Dex and Int and -2 Cha.

Actually, instead of half giant, use the suggested Dwarf or a Grey Elf, and take one level in a lesser giant bloodline and then take primordial Gaint, with Lesser Tiefling and creature of Fire in effect, then tack on Half Nymph or Pherinic. Both templates are LA 2. I think Half Nymph get's a +4 Int, but I might be wrong, in which case, Pherinic is the better bet.

Pherinic(or Half Nymph) Primordial Giant Fire Grey Elf/Aleithian Dwarf should be landing either a +10 or a +12 int. Sure, your taking some narly strength and Con hits through.

torrasque666
2014-05-05, 11:50 AM

HOWEVER.

If you're willing to eat the level adjustment... here's a twist. Go Half-Giant (medium giant (EPH) +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, Naturally Psionic, Powerful Build, Stomp, Psychic Warrior), LA+1. Then take the Primordial Giant template (LA+0). Secrets of Xen'drik, -4 Str, -2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Cha, Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate at-will (CL = HD), +1 CL to all spell-like abilities, any one Knowledge skill as a class skill, +2 racial bonus to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device. Yes, the con penalty hurts. But for LA+1, you're getting a crap ton of great SLAs, a racial bonus to spellcraft and UMD, and above all else a +4 to INT.

All around -2 str, -2 dex, +4 int, +4 cha. Could be good, but might still be able to find better. Definitely better for his goals than half-trollogre.

Rubik
2014-05-05, 11:56 AM
A couple of age categories would net you +2 on mentals and -3 on physicals.

Or you could buy a scroll of Polymorph Any Object and a hat of disguise. Polymorph yourself into a sarrukh for a 30 base Int, then use the HoD to disguise yourself as a dwarf or whatever.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-05, 12:17 PM
A couple of age categories would net you +2 on mentals and -3 on physicals.

Or you could buy a scroll of Polymorph Any Object and a hat of disguise. Polymorph yourself into a sarrukh for a 30 base Int, then use the HoD to disguise yourself as a dwarf or whatever.

Ah, yes, old cheddar. Polymorph Any Object into something with a very high Int, then use illusion to appear to be what you originally were. Someone looking at you normally sees what you originally were. Someone looking at you under True Seeing sees what you originally were. Meanwhile, you're free to make use of that extra reach....

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-05, 12:19 PM
A single level of the Half-Dragon Template Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a), which you do not have to take in uninterrupted succession (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) so you can just dip and never look back, gives Str +2, Int +2, among other benefits, for a +1 LA.

Half-Giant (LA +1) with Primordial Giant (LA +0) gets total ability score adjustments of Str -2, Dex -2, Int +4, Cha +4, and can use Invisibility at will as a spell-like ability, among other benefits.

Virdish
2014-05-05, 12:40 PM
You could also use the elemental race variant rules for make it a fire half giant for +2 Int -2 Cha. Then add primordial and buy off the LA.

For an added kicker, see if you can talk your DM into making Planetouched and there lesser versions templates, you know, like they really should be anyway if any designers had a lick of sense. Then add Lesser Tiefling for +2 to Dex and Int and -2 Cha.

Actually, instead of half giant, use the suggested Dwarf or a Grey Elf, and take one level in a lesser giant bloodline and then take primordial Gaint, with Lesser Tiefling and creature of Fire in effect, then tack on Half Nymph or Pherinic. Both templates are LA 2. I think Half Nymph get's a +4 Int, but I might be wrong, in which case, Pherinic is the better bet.

Pherinic(or Half Nymph) Primordial Giant Fire Grey Elf/Aleithian Dwarf should be landing either a +10 or a +12 int. Sure, your taking some narly strength and Con hits through.

Slightly off track but does anyone know of a home brewed template for any of those. I would like to include something like that in my next game. I could do the work myself but if it already exists I might as well just use it.

Rubik
2014-05-05, 12:47 PM
Slightly off track but does anyone know of a home brewed template for any of those. I would like to include something like that in my next game. I could do the work myself but if it already exists I might as well just use it.Well, there's this: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Psionic_Variant_-_Natural_Psion_%283.5e_Template%29

It's actually not too bad, for dandwiki. Almost balanced, even.

Metahuman1
2014-05-05, 12:54 PM
Slightly off track but does anyone know of a home brewed template for any of those. I would like to include something like that in my next game. I could do the work myself but if it already exists I might as well just use it.

Bloodlines are a rule set in unearthed arcana.

Planetouched are a race that has a couple of different offshoots, and I suggested instead ruling it's a template and just applying it's benefits too an existing race.

The rest are assorted templates or races or race variants.

It's cheesy and probably not RAI, but for the most part it works RAW.

Gildedragon
2014-05-05, 01:27 PM

I presume you mean the elemental races variant from UA. In which case that doesn't work; fire elves and fire hobgoblins do have an int bonus and cha penalty but the only properties intrinsic to being a "race of fire" are the following, as per the SRD

+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the water subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
-2 penalty on all saving throws against spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities with the water or cold subtype or used by creatures of the water or cold subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water.
Resistance to fire 5.

Metahuman1
2014-05-05, 01:32 PM
When there getting a free boost like that, the obvious conclusion is that the stat adjustment was intended, but left out as an editing mistake. Sorta like how no one thinks the vigilantly PrC really goes form 2 to 20 3rd level spells per day in one level as intended.

animewatcha
2014-05-08, 01:25 PM
Meta: I have brought that up a few times with a Fire Grey elf for +4 int mod total ( amongst other things ). Needless to say, despite no 'for or against' by RAW, people on here were very iffy on it. Pretty much a ask your DM thing.

Spuddles
2014-05-08, 02:00 PM

HOWEVER.

A single level of the Half-Dragon Template Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a), which you do not have to take in uninterrupted succession (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) so you can just dip and never look back, gives Str +2, Int +2, among other benefits, for a +1 LA.

Half-Giant (LA +1) with Primordial Giant (LA +0) gets total ability score adjustments of Str -2, Dex -2, Int +4, Cha +4, and can use Invisibility at will as a spell-like ability, among other benefits.

You can also take levels in the half giant racial class. First level is la 0 and just your first class level. See the back of complete psionic for it.

Deathcharge01
2014-05-08, 02:04 PM
The Symbiotic Creature template may be of help depending on what you choose. Here's some ideas: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1115871

Zombulian
2014-05-08, 02:11 PM
Half-Ogre Template to turn you into a Giant for +1, then Primordial Giant for int bonus for +0.

Ketiara
2014-05-08, 02:18 PM
Arthasian human dragon 319 p. 19.
+2 x 2 ability but can't be placed on the same ability. And some minor psionic powers. At +1