PDA

View Full Version : I need help

ngilop
2014-05-04, 10:28 PM
Hello everybody.

I am completely unable to do a table under the newcode. I know there are table generators and that is easy enough.. the issues comes when it comes to actually having to go back and make changes.. or as the situation I am in now edit old tables to fit the new code yeah.. id rather just fly is space w/o a suit.

but here is this 'converter' site and im unsure how to use it http://makaze-kanra.tumblr.com/ForumTableConverter

I tried to do the obvious and justenter theold code and hit convert YAAY nothing happened... so any help would be appreciated as I would LOVE to finish my fighter fix/

The Random NPC
2014-05-05, 03:46 AM
Hello everybody.

I am completely unable to do a table under the newcode. I know there are table generators and that is easy enough.. the issues comes when it comes to actually having to go back and make changes.. or as the situation I am in now edit old tables to fit the new code yeah.. id rather just fly is space w/o a suit.

but here is this 'converter' site and im unsure how to use it http://makaze-kanra.tumblr.com/ForumTableConverter

I tried to do the obvious and justenter theold code and hit convert YAAY nothing happened... so any help would be appreciated as I would LOVE to finish my fighter fix/

Sorry I can't help, but you may find more help in the Table thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?341034-table-s-in-the-Playground-All-you-want-to-know-about-the-table-code).

ChristianSt
2014-05-05, 04:48 AM
While my table thread doesn't contain a guideline "how to convert old tables" (though maybe I will add one - and will probably use a bunch of this post :smallwink:), it should showcase how you use the new table code.

The basic table structured hasn't really changed that much. Only the delimiters (and some syntax for advanced stuff) changed.

The best way if you simply want to convert your old table to the new code is to do the following steps - "\n" stands for the newline character, "\t" for the tab character. I cannot really say how your word processor masks these characters. If you are not sure, it should be possible to insert them through copy&paste:

Copy your table code (and only that!) to a (simple) word processing software (gedit, notepad, etc should do the trick).
Search&Replace "\n" with "[/TD]\n[/TR]\n\n\t". A newline represented the start of a new table row. (The \n and \t in the new version are optional.)
Search&Replace "|" with "\n\t". A "|" represented the start of a new cell. (The \n and \t in the new version are optional.)
Replace the "[/TABLE]" with "\n\n[/TABLE]"
Replace the broken "{table...]" with "[TABLE="class:grid head alt1 alt2"]\n\n\t". (The ="class:grid head alt1 alt2" is optional (or can be changed to other styles), but is closest to the old tables)
Change your table class to the one you think fits best (or use none if you want a table without grid). If you want a header row you probably want to add the class head, and replace all [TD]... in your first row (but only the first row!) with
Copy the table code back to your post

This should work for all "basic" tables. Some stuff that needs more fixing:

Colspan: If you have cells featuring {colsp=:##} you need to change these cells to ...
BR: If you used the BR code to have linebreaks in your tables, it should not work (at least Rawhide said he would remove it). But you can simple do that by doing a newline in the post. Since it isn't used any more for starting a new table row, it will start a new line in the table cell.
Nested tables: I'm not sure if the above will work for nested tables (I think it should) - you should convert each table separately.
I don't know exactly why, but on an old table I converted now to test this (mainly for typos) I somehow encountered erroneous newlines, producing empty tables row with one empty cell ("[TR]\n\t\n") :smallconfused:. These should be just removed.

If this doesn't work, feel free to say what problems arise and I (or someone else) will probably try to help you. But in that case you should say what problems you have, and what is the table you want to convert.

[I will not help in using any of the posted "table convertors", because I think they aren't necessary, and I don't want to debug if some problems arise while using one of them.]

ngilop
2014-05-05, 08:52 AM
well I attempted the search and replace and am unable to do it as well you can see what it ends up looking like in this spoiler

"\n\n\t".
Level[/TD]\n\n\n\t\tBAB\n\n\n\t\tFort\n\n\n\t\tRef\n\n\n\t\t Will\n\n\n\t\tSpecial \n\n\n\t\t
Disciplines

1st\n\n\n\t\t+1\n\n\n\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\t+1\n\n\n\t\t+ 0\n\n\n\t\tBonus Feat, Athletic Superiority\n\n\n\t\t

2nd\n\n\n\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\t+3\n\n\n\t\t+1\n\n\n\t\t+ 0\n\n\n\t\tBonus Feat, Imposing Force\n\n\n\t\t

3rd\n\n\n\t\t+3\n\n\n\t\t+3\n\n\n\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\t+ 1\n\n\n\t\tPhysical Prowess\n\n\n\t\t

4th\n\n\n\t\t+4\n\n\n\t\t+4\n\n\n\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\t+ 1\n\n\n\t\tBonus Feat\n\n\n\t\t

5th\n\n\n\t\t+5\n\n\n\t\t+4\n\n\n\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\t+ 1\n\n\n\t\tShield Ally[/TD]\n\n\n\t\n[/TR]\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

6th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+3\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\ tBonus Feat, Hardy \n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

7th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+7\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+3\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\ tMobile Combatant\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

8th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+8\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+3\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+2\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\ tBonus Feat, Instinctive Reflexes\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

9th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+9\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+4\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+3\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\ tMomentum\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

10th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+10\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+7\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+4\n\n\ n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+3\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ t\tBonus Feat\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

11th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+11\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+7\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+4\n\n\ n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+3\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ t\tBattle Perception\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

12th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+12\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+8\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\ n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+4\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ t\tBonus Feat, Deadly\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

13th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+13\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+8\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\ n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+4\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ t\tWarlord\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

14th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+14\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+9\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\ n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+4\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ t\tBonus Feat, Legendary Ability\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

15th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+15\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+9\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\ n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\ t\tCall to Battle\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

16th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+16\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+10\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n \n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t \t\tBonus Feat, Make a Warrior out of You\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

17th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+17\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+10\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+7\n\n \n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+5\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t \t\tAvatar of War\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

18th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+18\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+11\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+7\n\n \n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t \t\tBonus Feat, Veteran of a Thousand Wars\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

19th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+19\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+11\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+7\n\n \n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t \t\tSlice The Universe\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t

20th\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+20\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\ t\n\n\n\t\t\t+12\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+8\n\n \n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\t\t+6\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t \t\tBonus Feat, Indomnitability\n\n\n\t\n\n\n\t[TR]\n\n[TR]\n\t[TD]\t[TD]\t[TD]

thanks for the help though :)

making new classes just isn't for me anymore.

its all good though I just wanted to finish my Fighter fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?318268-My-Latest-big-project!-(-a-big-deal-fighter-fix)) on this site (have it finished on my own comp) and get back to work on my fixed PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?311379-Insert-fixed-PrC-here!) thread again with the drunken master.

ChristianSt
2014-05-05, 10:10 AM
I'm posting more/looking into it if I'm home, but right now I can say that you do something wrong with your search and replace. There shouldn't be any \t and \n floating around in your post, because (if done correctly) they will be replaced by the actual characters for tab or newline accordingly. Though I'm not sure how they are masked for your word processor (you can try without those, they only enhance readability). But I think your doing something else wrong in addition, because they shouldn't change anything about the table layout.

ngilop
2014-05-05, 10:18 AM
I'm posting more/looking into it if I'm home, but right now I can say that you do something wrong with your search and replace. There shouldn't be any \t and \n floating around in your post, because (if done correctly) they will be replaced by the actual characters for tab or newline accordingly. Though I'm not sure how they are masked for your word processor (you can try without those, they only enhance readability). But I think your doing something else wrong in addition, because they shouldn't change anything about the table layout.

Hmm, I used wordpad if that will help you any.

I just entered search and replace with everything you said. again, I think this table code is just beyond my abilities.

everybody has that 1 thing they cannot do no matter how hard they try. mine seems to me GiTP table 2.0 lol:smallbiggrin:

ChristianSt
2014-05-05, 11:45 AM
Hmm, I used wordpad if that will help you any.

I just entered search and replace with everything you said. again, I think this table code is just beyond my abilities.

everybody has that 1 thing they cannot do no matter how hard they try. mine seems to me GiTP table 2.0 lol:smallbiggrin:

As I said before the listing "\n" and "\t" are the representation/masks I use for for newline and tab. How your notepad handle them I can't really tell you. You can just delete the "\t" and "\n" from the right side anyway or search for the thing that will work for you (I have found "^t" for tabs and "^p" (or maybe "^l") for newline doing a quick Google search). It will not affect the the post but the code is more readable with tabs and newline. (Though I'm not sure how you found a way to search for newline but not to replace with newline :smallconfused:)

One problem your table have is that you have inserted an additional newline between each line. You can fix this (as I said after the procedure) by replacing the newly added empty rows (or you could try to search&replace for "\n\n" instead of "\n").

And I can only say that the method I posted works for your table (baring that multiple newline thing I mentioned). From what I have tested I think I actually know what you did wrong: you did step 3 before doing step 2.
Since step 2 replaces the newline character with other stuff (including newlines) and step 3 replaces something with other stuff (including newlines), doing step 2 after step 3 (or multiple times) will not work. And the output I got with switching 2 and 3 looked basically exactly like the table you posted.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

Disciplines

1st
+1
+2
+1
+0