PDA

View Full Version : Hey friends. Build help? 3.5e

SonorousDin
2014-05-05, 02:49 AM
I'm joining a campaign soon that wants me to provide a 1st level and a 20th level build. I've got two concepts, one is sorted but the other I'm not sure how to implement mechanically. Here are the source books I've got:

Player's Handbook (PHB)
Monster Manual I (MM1)
Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG)
"Complete" Series ("Complete Arcane", "Complete Divine", "Complete Scoundrel", etc. EXCLUDING "Complete Psionics")
Arms and Equipment
Unearthed Arcana

What I'm aiming for here is, with exotic weapon proficiency, a magehunting PC who uses a twinblade and wants to destroy all magic, citing the 'hubris of man' as his casus belli and whatnot. I want him to be amusingly hypocritical and make use of divine magic (in this instance it is a fire genasi cleric of a purging fire god).

My idea was to go for cleric/ranger/rogue (applying for ranger as a favoured class or otherwise going Air Genasi instead), stacking sneak attacks with the multiple attacks from a two-bladed sword - but then I found that true strike, contrary to 3rd edition, is no longer a round duration and instead only applies to a single attack. Ergo, my AB is going to need some other method of getting boosted and penetrating high resistance enemies since I'll be doing quite a lot of attacks per round at the later levels.

My level 1 build will probably just take a ranger level and serve as melee, but I'll need help with the level 20 build. Any ideas?

Brunks
2014-05-05, 05:26 AM
Ranger 1 (arcane hunter) EWP Double Sword Complete Divine
Rogue 1 Core SA 1d6
Ranger 2 (Two weapon style) Core
Rogue 2 (spell reflection) WF Complete mage
Cleric 1 Knowledge, travel Core
Shadowbane Stalker 1 Complete Adventurer
Shadowbane Stalker 2 IMP TWF
Shadowbane Stalker 3 SA 2d6
Shadowbane Stalker 4
Shadowbane Stalker 5 Knowledge devotion
Shadowbane Stalker 6 SA 3d6
Shadowbane Stalker 7
Shadowbane Stalker 8 Travel Devotion
Shadowbane Stalker 9 SA 4d6
Shadowbane Stalker 10
Church Inquisitor 1 Greater TWF Complete Divine
Church Inquisitor 2
Church Inquisitor 3
Church Inquisitor 4 x
Church Inquisitor 5

Knowledge devotion and the Divine Power spell will give you plenty of AB.
You get a little bit of everything with this build, but only really need the 1 rogue level, you can replace the rest with cleric if you want to be a better caster.
This requires LG

SonorousDin
2014-05-05, 05:59 AM
Sweet, I'll take a look over this. Thanks mate.

JeminiZero
2014-05-05, 06:07 AM
If you want to hunt mages (and be actually somewhat competent at it), then you need magic or magic-like abilities. Sadly, psionics is out, so that leaves divine magic. Your best bet is probably going primary Cleric or Druid of some sort. Both can also be melee competent if that is a concern.