PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Recent problem with one player.

Saumy
2014-05-05, 07:50 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm looking for some advice. I've been running a 4e game for a little over 3 months. We play once a week 4-5 hrs at a time.

Recently, a player has went from the 'diplomatic player with a code' to the 'smart mouthed, distracted thug'.

On top of that he's begun ask constant in depth questions to NPC's. I do my best to answer but when a certain NPC doesn't "know" or has an answer doesn't satisfy him. He then questions me Directly out of character demanding that this information should be common knowledge and everyone should know and for the NPC not to know basically doesn't make sense. Distracting the session.

He also has a bad habit of whenever his turn rolls around, he takes it as his opportunity to 'take the stand' and proceed to hold the game up for 7-10 minutes while he tells a story about something random before he takes his turn.

He has also begun to speak/'call out' during narrative moments or NPC speeches or dialogue about a quest. sometimes causing me to re read because half the players at the table couldn't hear what I said.

Now here is what I've tried.
Explaining to him reasons as to why the NPC wouldn't know that or its not my business to explain (if its something to do with another players back story and I don't want to spoil it so i leave it hidden from certain NPC's to try and preserve it for the other player to reveal when they feel they want to).
Asking him as politely as possible to please take his turn before he continues his story.
Also asking him to 'not interrupt me' when im speaking as a character or giving information.

Now I'm not trying to 'suck the fun' out of it or take away role play (there's times they get offtrack on a quest and I've had to make up characters on the spot and names etc. That's fine).
Also I don't have a problem with out of game chatter as long as on their turn they know what they are doing. Also there is always an opportunity at some point during a 'scene' for them to take action or ask questions.

Since speaking with him about it isn't helping and I'm getting sick of constantly asking him to just take his turn (and getting this 'look' from him that says hes cant believe i'd ask him to go).

I'm curious if someone else has had a player similar to this or knows of something i could do to keep this from escalating further?

Or could I be taking it too seriously? I know DND is meant to be fun but, I personally like to keep the game as fluid as possible so anything that slows it down has a tendency to kinda pick at my nerves a bit. (I'm not talking about role playing or going off the path, I'm cool with that stuff and enjoy the surprise). Also I put a lot of work into getting this set up (making cards for each player each with a skill on it, printing cutting them out, making tokens, making a world map in sections that they then get, making tangible items for them to actually hold ex: old scroll).

docHigh
2014-05-05, 09:13 AM
Hei and nice to hear someone is making extra effort to produce maps/scrolls and other tangible items. Nice!

To me it sounds, that the player's attitude has changed for some reason. If he used to be diplomatic before, then the change is probably caused from something. Maybe he is taking personal life to the table and venting it out there?

If that is not the case, then one additional approach is to explain to him that the game is supposed to be fun for everyone - both players and for you, the DM. And his behaviour is ruining the game for you. So there are largely 3 options: (i) he changes and considers more your approach; (ii) he becomes the DM and creates a game that everyone wants to join; (iii) he leaves the game.

My suggestion would still remain on the first part: see what is really bothering him and let him explain it. Good luck ;)

Saumy
2014-05-05, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the response. I can try talking to him again. After speaking to the other players(if it's bugging them as well, they might be willing to help me explain it. If they don't mind, it might be something i have to work around or tell him he's going to have to kinda get used to it). They already help me with keeping each other off their vita/phone/ipad.

He's usually the one who. 'Leads' our group in activities and is used to getting his way. So It might stem from that, it kinda started when I had a section of story dip into one players background and he kinda wasn't able to be center of attention.

I've known all the guys I play with pretty well (over 10yrs).

Juzer
2014-05-06, 02:06 AM
...well, he has to get along with shorter and smarter turns and not confront you DM directly, of course

as of the proper game session, I suggest to begin the session with "for any complaints, let's discuss please at the end". so at least he will not consume other player's in-game time

then, as for the NPC's missing answers, if you can't just invent something on the fly, just evade the problem using indirect descriptions: "miss smith's wife, in which month's week will the next religious festivity be?" -> "the woman gives you a proper and logical answer"

on the other hand, try to figure why he change his behavior: like already said, he's bringing at the table personal issues or it was something in-game? a diplomatic stunt gone awry? something with his PG went bad? he's trying to retaliate for a decision you made as a DM against his PG?

perhaps you will have lick with the "oracle" expedient: they encounter an angel/oracle/fortune teller/otherworldly creature with seems to have the power to read their souls and speaks briefly with every PG. As for him, the creature asks "I see an hollow stain in your mind: what went wrong recently? you are not the one who was once, would you tell me, if I had the power to chance things in the present, the past and the future?" -> hope the player will tell something useful, but in every case let the mysterious creature fade away in a white mist without a word