PDA

View Full Version : Work monk dot com

Mr.Abysmalyxia
2014-05-05, 09:21 AM
Can you racial levels via death and gain them back as something else?

Works have 4 racial hut die. Can you die 3 times to drop to lvl1... and then get 19 lvl1 of monk?

Talya
2014-05-05, 10:11 AM

Works have 4 racial hut die. Can you die 3 times to drop to lvl1... and then get 19 lvl1 of monk?

I'm tempted to blame this post on autocorrect and posting from a phone.

Most of the details of what you're trying to do were lost here, but I believe I get the gist of it.

By RAW, yes, you can do that. It's cheesy as hell, though. However, you're taking levels of monk, which may actually be worse than the racial hit die you're replacing, depending on what type of creature a "work" is supposed to be.

Ungoded
2014-05-05, 10:21 AM
Maybe it's supposed to be Worg? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/worg.htm)

Chronos
2014-05-05, 11:11 AM
It also sounds like he might be trying to take the first level of monk 19 times, which isn't allowed. You have to take levels in order, so after the first level, if you take another monk level, you're taking the second level.

John Longarrow
2014-05-05, 12:02 PM
Works have 4 racial hut die.

Is this a Start Wars D20 question? Just making sure your not talking about Jabba....

Rubik
2014-05-05, 12:05 PM
Is this a Start Wars D20 question? Just making sure your not talking about Jabba....Those are hutts.

Or possibly pizzas, depending.

Red Fel
2014-05-05, 12:14 PM
Those are hutts.

Or possibly pizzas, depending.

Or else Pizza is gonna send out for you!

Seriously, the OP is a little too cheesy for me, and not just as a pun. :smallwink:

John Longarrow
2014-05-05, 12:25 PM
As DM, I've always ruled that if you have racial HD, you have to re-take them if you loose them. Avoids a LOT of cheese...

Mr.Abysmalyxia
2014-05-05, 12:30 PM
I'm tempted to blame this post on autocorrect and posting from a phone.

Most of the details of what you're trying to do were lost here, but I believe I get the gist of it.

By RAW, yes, you can do that. It's cheesy as hell, though. However, you're taking levels of monk, which may actually be worse than the racial hit die you're replacing, depending on what type of creature a "work" is supposed to be.

WORG. It may be cheesy but it's completely legit it sounds and would make some races much more palatable.

dascarletm
2014-05-05, 12:36 PM
WORG. It may be cheesy but it's completely legit it sounds and would make some races much more palatable.

Tasty tasty monk levels :smallwink:

lunar2
2014-05-05, 01:39 PM
i know it's a houserule, but i've always ruled you can't lose RHD to level loss to begin with. if you have nothing but RHD, you are considered a first level character for purposes of level loss, so you lose 2 points of Con, instead. this has only come up once, when an ogre got reincarnated as a stone giant. luckiest reincarnate ever, if you ask me. obviously, he was rolling on a homebrewed table for giant type reincarnates. but he had something like a 10% chance of just getting ogre again. anyway, instead of losing one of his new RHD, he just lost 2 con, and still came out way ahead on the ability score front, and several levels above the rest of the party. he didn't level again during that campaign, since i didn't give him the XP for all those new levels, but he was still one or two levels above the average party level by the end of the campaign.

Mr.Abysmalyxia
2014-05-05, 02:30 PM
Tasty tasty monk levels :smallwink:

I think a WORG monk could make for a fascinating character.

dascarletm
2014-05-05, 03:11 PM
I think a WORG monk could make for a fascinating character.

depends on your palate, but I'm not sure on how unarmed attack and natural weapons mesh. Though speed boosts never hurt a mount.

Monk's not bad for a dip.

Kennisiou
2014-05-05, 03:36 PM
depends on your palate, but I'm not sure on how unarmed attack and natural weapons mesh. Though speed boosts never hurt a mount.

Natural weapons and unarmed attacks work nicely, as often enhancement bonuses you use will apply to both and you can always make a full manufactured routine with unarmed followed by a full natural attack routine, whereas with weapons you often can't make some of your natural attacks as a result of them, you know, holding the weapon you attacked with.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-05, 03:40 PM

The Beast Strike feat (Dragon Magazine) allows one to combine unarmed strikes with claws or bashes. A reasonable DM might extend this to bite attacks for a player that really wanted to make such a character concept viable.

lunar2
2014-05-05, 05:45 PM
The Beast Strike feat (Dragon Magazine) allows one to combine unarmed strikes with claws or bashes. A reasonable DM might extend this to bite attacks for a player that really wanted to make such a character concept viable.

you mean actually using the natural weapon to deliver the unarmed strike? why would anyone want to do that? that means giving up your natural attack. unarmed strikes work so well on creatures like worgs because you get them in addition to your natural attacks, instead of in place of one of your natural attacks like you would with a manufactured weapon.

Red Fel
2014-05-05, 06:51 PM
you mean actually using the natural weapon to deliver the unarmed strike? why would anyone want to do that? that means giving up your natural attack. unarmed strikes work so well on creatures like worgs because you get them in addition to your natural attacks, instead of in place of one of your natural attacks like you would with a manufactured weapon.

Other way around. It allows you to add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strikes.

Remember that natural weapons don't get iterative attacks, but unarmed strikes do. Remember also that, without Beast Strikes, your unarmed and natural attacks must be made separately, meaning that your natural attacks are made at the secondary weapon penalty.

Beast Strike bypasses these problems, and is particularly good for unarmed combatants with natural weapons as a result. You simply tack your natural weapon damage onto your unarmed strikes, and still take your full iteratives.

Rubik
2014-05-05, 07:06 PM
you mean actually using the natural weapon to deliver the unarmed strike? why would anyone want to do that? that means giving up your natural attack. unarmed strikes work so well on creatures like worgs because you get them in addition to your natural attacks, instead of in place of one of your natural attacks like you would with a manufactured weapon.Actually, there's nothing in the feat about losing your natural attack when using Beast Strike, so you get to use your slam or claw attacks in addition to your unarmed strikes.

Technically.

lunar2
2014-05-05, 08:04 PM
so, a worg monk 3 would get a base attack (with flurry) of 4/4/-1 dealing 2d6 slashing/bludgeoning/piercing damage, and still get a bite attack at -1 dealing 1d6 s/b/p? assuming beast strike is houseruled to apply to bites, of course.

TuggyNE
2014-05-05, 08:34 PM

Probably, but a sane DM is well-advised to correct this; RHD are designed with the idea of being an atomic unit, for balance reasons.

and then get 19 lvl1 of monk?

Definitely not. You can take 18 levels of Monk, but I'm not really sure why Worg 1/LA +1/Monk 18 is SOOOOOO much better than Worg 4/LA +1/Monk 15. And no, you can't trade in your single RHD for a class level after draining, either.

(Note, also, that worgs only have cohort LA, which is implied to be suitable for Leadership et al, not PCs. And, of course, their LA cannot be gotten rid of by level drain, but only by optional buyoff.)

Rubik
2014-05-05, 08:44 PM
Can you racial levels via death and gain them back as something else?The only way I know of for sure to get rid of racial hit dice is to A.) transform yourself into something with the [human] subtype (PAO works for this), B.) store your XP total in a thought bottle, C.) undergo elanification, and D.) restore your XP total and level up as you like.

And you wouldn't even need A. if you were a humanoid with RHD (such as via lycanthropy).

ShneekeyTheLost
2014-05-05, 11:09 PM

Totemist would like to make his introduction here, with the ability to toss on an additional six or so natural attacks, depending on the binds.